The Mormons Visited Today

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-05-2011, 11:13 PM
The Mormons Visited Today
So I had just finished up our weekly podcast when I looked out the window and noticed two young men walking to the door dressed very nicely. They had to be either Mormons or Jehovah's Witness. Turns out they were Mormons.

I was in a good mood today so I opened the door and introduced myself and shook their hands. I noticed right away that both were very friendly and new to going door to door. I purposely kept the conversation away from religion to see how they tried to sway the topic to the reason they were. It was clever. Very quickly I told them I was an atheist and they seemed more interested than defensive.

I told them that I had come to this conclusion on my own after growing up in the church and that I had no tragic event to speak of. I had put the evidence together and formed a conclusion. One of the guys very respectfully took one of the leaves from the bush standing nearby and said this was the reason he believes in god. That its beauty proved to him how powerful and mighty his god was. I proceeded to tell him that it proved to me how beautiful evolution was and how amazing this world really is. He did not have an argument for that.

From this point we started talking about different subjects and skirted around religion. It crept up but it was very respectful. They had to go but asked if it would be alright if they came back at a later date. I let them know that I did not want to waste their time but Saturday would be a good day. They agreed and said they would see me then.

They were very respectful and far from argumentative. They listened to my belief and offered theirs without attacking what I believe. I let them know that for many atheists the argumentative nature of religious folks is the reason they see them walking up and do not answer.

I hope they show up on Saturday. I hope we can discuss both sides. They will not sway my beliefs but maybe I can plant that see of doubt and save a couple very respectful young men from the life they have chosen.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2011, 05:20 AM
RE: The Mormons Visited Today
Have you ever fed a stray cat? Give a stray cat some milk just one time and you've a friend for life. That cat will never go away. Letting these people in is the same as feeding a stray cat. You most likely won't be able to get rid of them now. Unless, of course, you can "convert" one. Then they will avoid you like you're a leper. Stark Raving has done this so hopefully he can chime in with some advice.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
01-06-2011, 05:36 AM
(01-06-2011 05:20 AM)BnW Wrote:  Have you ever fed a stray cat? Give a stray cat some milk just one time and you've a friend for life. That cat will never go away. Letting these people in is the same as feeding a stray cat. You most likely won't be able to get rid of them now. Unless, of course, you can "convert" one. Then they will avoid you like you're a leper. Stark Raving has done this so hopefully he can chime in with some advice.

Well I don't like the stray cat analogy. I constantly give food to stray cats but rarely do they bond with me. And besides a cat needs food to live and a religion doesn't need converts to .... oh wait. Oh ok , I see what you did there.
But still , feed stray cats :-p

Sorry , that was horrible off topic.Confused

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
01-06-2011, 12:08 PM
I agree. That just might be the case. The way I see it if they bring anybody else with them they won't be allowed inside. If they don't respect my beliefs and my family they won't be allowed to stay inside. If they overstep their boundaries then.....they will be asked to leave.

I guess the way I see it I am treating them the way they should be treating me. Kindness. Respect. I told them from the start they were wasting their time by telling me about their beliefs but I would be willing to discuss both sides in a discussion type format. We will see what happens.
02-06-2011, 07:35 PM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2011 07:39 PM by GirlyMan.)
I almost converted to Mormonism some 30 years ago when I was 18. They stopped by and gave me their book. I read it. They came back in a week. We talked. They came back the following week and I, in a hushed discrete whisper asked, "So how does this polygamy thing work?" They said, "Oh, we don't do that anymore." ... "What?!? That was the only goddam thing you had going for you. Get the hell out of my house!"

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
02-06-2011, 10:04 PM

I had a friend who was a High Priest of Wicca but a former student training for the Seminary. Turned out, when he was a High Priest of Wicca, he married a former nun. If there was a god that ceremony probably killed him. Tongue

In any event, he knew the Bible like the back of his hand. Any faiths edition, he was fluent. He'd invite the JW's and Mormon's in for tea. They'd often stay for hours learning things their Temple elders never taught them and evidently, they had never thought to search for themselves.

When I worked a food cart I saw two smartly dressed young men coming toward me on bicycles. Here the men are very often attired like that, so as to look exactly alike in dress. They wheeled up to the cart, and I could tell it was an obligatory thing because they were hungry but they had to do the spiel first. "Have you heard of....? "

I let them finish and then with a smile I said, yes I have. And as I see it if a person's personal faith feeds their spirit and helps to make them a better person it's all good.

They looked at one another and smiled and then said; well said. We'll have to hot dogs and two bottled waters please.

I never saw them again.
I fed the kittens, played with them a little bit, and they peddled away. Tongue
Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2011, 04:34 PM
Well, at least they were polite thats one thing I value when I'm debating with religious people, as long as they are polite with me I dont have any problem.

Btw, I hope you bring up the topic of magnets and how do they work Big Grin.

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”
-Georgia Harkness.

"La fe es patrimonio de los pendejos. (Faith is patrimony of the dumbfucks)."
-Diego Rivera
04-06-2011, 03:31 AM
(03-06-2011 04:34 PM)MasterRottweiler Wrote:  Well, at least they were polite thats one thing I value when I'm debating with religious people, as long as they are polite with me I dont have any problem.

Btw, I hope you bring up the topic of magnets and how do they work Big Grin.

I wish I could have spent more time preparing their visit. If they even show up. I've got this blog I run and we have been doing a podcast. I was invited to make an appearance on a larger, more well known podcast. Baseball has really become my religion lol
04-06-2011, 09:07 PM
(03-06-2011 04:34 PM)MasterRottweiler Wrote:  Well, at least they were polite ...

God bless 'em. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
05-06-2011, 05:37 AM
So they actually showed up again today like they said they would. I was busy at the time so I did not have time to prepare but it was a great discussion either way.

They talked about how god was perfect and I questioned the validity of the bible. I asked about different inconsistencies and stated that if this was gods word it would be perfect. If its not perfect then you cannot consider it gods word. He said the gospels were an account of what had happened and I again stated that if this was gods word these people would have gotten their facts straight and stated that I felt they were inconsistent due to the fact that they were stories that had been passed down through generations. He had little to say but did agree that the bible was likely just a good guide for our lives morally. I agreed and said their were many things in the bible we could all use in life.

I then asked why he believes what he does if you take the bible out of the discussion. The reasons were largely based on things he has experienced and interpreted them as god showing himself to him. I told him that I could pray to the baseball god and out of 500 wishes there would be at least 20 come true due to chance. He threw out the blind faith card.

They went on to state that they were happy in life because of the things god has done for them and that this is the way true happiness. They asked me what the purpose of life was for me and I told them that the purpose of my life is family and friends and that I enjoy life to the fullest. I asked why I was happy without god and they said that there is still something missing in my life but I just do not see it right now.

There were quite a few pauses and changing of subjects. They had very few answers and most of those were based on blind faith. I got them to agree on many of my views as they had no evidence against it. Logic prevailed in my opinion. They might still continue on their paths and they may forget everything I said but I gave it my best.

They left me with the book of mormon and asked me to read a chapter and said they would stop by this next week. They also asked that I pray that god shows me the truth in what I am reading. Not going to happen but I will read it as I learned to respect both of these young men. Heck, I might even give them my copy of The Greatest Show On Earth. Haven't decided on that just yet.

Anyway, that was how this experience turned out. Overall I am very happy with it and feel that I showed them not all atheists are horrible, baby eating people.