The Mormons Visited Today

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-06-2011, 07:19 AM
RE: The Mormons Visited Today
Ok, what I took from all that is that there is another baseball fan on this forum. YES!

Can you provide a link to your blog? I'm interested to to take a look, if you don't mind.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2011, 12:47 PM
Definitely. We are going to be recording a podcast during the first few picks of the MLB draft tomorrow so stay tuned for that as well.

http://outfieldgrass.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-06-2011, 04:05 PM
Thanks, that's awesome.

Interesting that you've got a piece on Chone Figgins. I was firmly of the opinion 2 winters ago that the Mets would have been dramatically better off going after Figgings and spending on pitching (maybe Lackey) instead of blowing their wad on Jason Bay. While no one could have foreseen Bay completely falling off the cliff this way (I think it's concussion related, personally) what was absolutely predictable was that the Mets would never get their money's worth out of an aging slugger who was bound to show immediate production fall off moving from Fenway to cavernous Citi Field. And there he is on your blog: Chone Figgins. Go figure.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
08-06-2011, 03:25 AM
(05-06-2011 04:05 PM)BnW Wrote:  Thanks, that's awesome.

Interesting that you've got a piece on Chone Figgins. I was firmly of the opinion 2 winters ago that the Mets would have been dramatically better off going after Figgings and spending on pitching (maybe Lackey) instead of blowing their wad on Jason Bay. While no one could have foreseen Bay completely falling off the cliff this way (I think it's concussion related, personally) what was absolutely predictable was that the Mets would never get their money's worth out of an aging slugger who was bound to show immediate production fall off moving from Fenway to cavernous Citi Field. And there he is on your blog: Chone Figgins. Go figure.

There were of red flags for Bay and most teams saw the writing on the wall. As for Figgins.....this is very unexpected. Nobody really expected a guy with his skillset (speed, OBP) to regress this quickly. I kept holding out hope he would rebound but I just do not see it happening. Its a shame because he could have been a big time player in this ballpark.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-06-2011, 01:42 PM
I'm reviving this thread because I was just visited by Jehovah's Witnesses. I opened the door with my rapist stare and a shirt that says "I pound beers for Jesus" (true story) and said "these are not the droids you're looking for."

And they were like "what?"

[Image: i-pound-beers-for-jesus-thumb.jpg]

I then sent them away with a joke and a dance, but I'm regretting it now. Maybe I should have invited them inside, served punch and pie, and attempted to turn them into door-to-door atheists.

"Hi, we'd like to spread our lack of belief to you about God."

"Ok, go ahead."

"We don't believe there is sufficient evidence to suggest such a deity exists. Have a nice day."

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
19-07-2011, 04:35 PM

I had several Mormom visitors. (Two were young ladies, which is rather unusual)
They even let me film their visits. I found they exibited the characteristics attributed to cults. For example, they are not allowed to watch the news while they are on their "mission." This was during the time all the killing was going on in Sri Lanka. They were not even aware of the problems there. I allowed them to show me one of their DVDs. It was about their founder, Joseph Smith and was something that might appeal to someone with a third grade mentality. These kids have had their heads stuffed so full of foolishness by the time they leave on their mission, there is little hope anyone can enlighten them.

"An empty head is not really empty; it is stuffed with rubbish. Hence the difficulty of forcing anything into an empty head."
— Eric Hoffer

(31-05-2011 11:13 PM)riseinside Wrote:  So I had just finished up our weekly podcast when I looked out the window and noticed two young men walking to the door dressed very nicely. They had to be either Mormons or Jehovah's Witness. Turns out they were Mormons.

I was in a good mood today so I opened the door and introduced myself and shook their hands. I noticed right away that both were very friendly and new to going door to door. I purposely kept the conversation away from religion to see how they tried to sway the topic to the reason they were. It was clever. Very quickly I told them I was an atheist and they seemed more interested than defensive.

I told them that I had come to this conclusion on my own after growing up in the church and that I had no tragic event to speak of. I had put the evidence together and formed a conclusion. One of the guys very respectfully took one of the leaves from the bush standing nearby and said this was the reason he believes in god. That its beauty proved to him how powerful and mighty his god was. I proceeded to tell him that it proved to me how beautiful evolution was and how amazing this world really is. He did not have an argument for that.

From this point we started talking about different subjects and skirted around religion. It crept up but it was very respectful. They had to go but asked if it would be alright if they came back at a later date. I let them know that I did not want to waste their time but Saturday would be a good day. They agreed and said they would see me then.

They were very respectful and far from argumentative. They listened to my belief and offered theirs without attacking what I believe. I let them know that for many atheists the argumentative nature of religious folks is the reason they see them walking up and do not answer.

I hope they show up on Saturday. I hope we can discuss both sides. They will not sway my beliefs but maybe I can plant that see of doubt and save a couple very respectful young men from the life they have chosen.
Quote this message in a reply