The Most Asinine Challenge to Evolution You've Ever Heard

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-01-2013, 07:27 PM
RE: The Most Asinine Challenge to Evolution You've Ever Heard
(04-01-2013 04:35 PM)Human Being Wrote:  I just had someone say, "If evolution makes things better, why don't humans live as long as trees and tortoises?" Sadcryface
The question is poorly stated. Evolution does not make things 'better'. Evolution, through the process of Natural Selection, makes organisms that are more likely to out-survive other organisms and reproduce.

There is no evolutionary reason for humans to live hundreds of years, we only need two dozen or so to reproduce and raise our offspring.

So things get better at passing on their genes and traits, but not better in the sense this question is refferring to.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2013, 08:00 PM
(05-01-2013 07:27 PM)Aspchizo Wrote:  
(04-01-2013 04:35 PM)Human Being Wrote:  I just had someone say, "If evolution makes things better, why don't humans live as long as trees and tortoises?" Sadcryface
The question is poorly stated. Evolution does not make things 'better'. Evolution, through the process of Natural Selection, makes organisms that are more likely to out-survive other organisms and reproduce.

There is no evolutionary reason for humans to live hundreds of years, we only need two dozen or so to reproduce and raise our offspring.

So things get better at passing on their genes and traits, but not better in the sense this question is refferring to.
Well, arguably, living longer allows us to reproduce more often. Just ask these people:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/70...e-1.346386

OK, that was invitro, which makes it weird as hell if you ask me, but still.

So maybe longer lives means more offspring and more odds of species survival. In that case, a longer lifespan would actually be "better" for a species.

On the other hand, maybe longer lives means more competition for limited resources, and worse, more feeble elderly (specifically, the extremely old) that the tribe must care for, so maybe longer lifespan is a burden on a species. Maybe a longer lifespan actually isn't "better".

I dunno, it could go either way on that one. Heck, those long-lived trees and tortoises reproduce more often AND compete for more resources, so maybe neither factor is truly relevant and maybe a species isn't "better" either way.

Have to ask a biologist.

Which is why I said that the OP's question was actually an interesting one, at least to me.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
05-01-2013, 09:58 PM
(04-01-2013 05:03 PM)kim Wrote:  
(04-01-2013 05:01 PM)Chas Wrote:  We live long enough to reproduce and rear the young and effectively kill each other willy nilly.

What more do you expect?

Evolution does not have goals or direction.

FIXT. Thumbsup
It does not have any effect on our reproduction, so our natural tendency to kill one another is currently unimportant to highlight in the explanation. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
05-01-2013, 09:59 PM
That is not the most asinine attempt to challenge evolution.

This is:

"What if you are wrong?"

Poonjab
05-01-2013, 10:07 PM
Ok this has to be the most asinine objection ever. Which also has nothing to do with evolution but the theist thinks it does?

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
05-01-2013, 10:19 PM
(05-01-2013 10:07 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  Ok this has to be the most asinine objection ever. Which also has nothing to do with evolution but the theist thinks it does?

At least the kid tried to use science.

Poonjab
06-01-2013, 04:37 AM
(05-01-2013 10:19 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(05-01-2013 10:07 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  Ok this has to be the most asinine objection ever. Which also has nothing to do with evolution but the theist thinks it does?

At least the kid tried to use science.
Occam's Razor. Which is more likely:
1. this genius figured all this out on his own (and got it all wrong)
2. this kid got the idea from some lame apologist, or apologist website, and made a video out of it

I dunno, but I think if he tried to use science, he would have at least concluded that evolution has nothing to do with the origin of the universe. The fact that he started from this immensely flawed supposition that I have, so far, only found rampant in Christian apology, leads me to the conclusion that he's either an apologist's puppet or an apologist's parrot, not sure which.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
06-01-2013, 07:59 PM (This post was last modified: 06-01-2013 08:02 PM by Refuting_Ignorance_Every_Day.)
Quote:"If evolution makes things better, then why don't humans live as long as trees?"

Organisms that are preyed upon heavily need to be able to reproduce quickly in order to insure the survival of their species.
For example, the Galapagos Tortoise has a lifespan of over one-hundred years due to few predators.
On the other hand, rats can reproduce months after they're born because they have to live in hostile environments.
Simple enough?

Cool story, bro. Drinking Beverage
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user