The Most Hated Woman in America

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-03-2017, 07:41 AM
The Most Hated Woman in America
I could have sworn I saw a thread about this movie but I can't seem to find it. If there is one, please merge it.

I watched this on Netflix last night. It was about Madalyn Murray O'Hair. It was pretty decent. But it referred a few times to her embezzling funds from American Atheists and using that money to pay off her kidnappers.

Did she steal from her members? I can't find any credible stories on the Internet that say this. Since the movie was BASED on a true story, I can't trust anything in it to be accurate.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
29-03-2017, 07:46 AM
RE: The Most Hated Woman in America
(29-03-2017 07:41 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  I could have sworn I saw a thread about this movie but I can't seem to find it. If there is one, please merge it.

I watched this on Netflix last night. It was about Madalyn Murray O'Hair. It was pretty decent. But it referred a few times to her embezzling funds from American Atheists and using that money to pay off her kidnappers.

Did she steal from her members? I can't find any credible stories on the Internet that say this. Since the movie was BASED on a true story, I can't trust anything in it to be accurate.

I can't speak of the woman you are referencing but I'm not fond of Kellyanne Conway.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like RearViewMirror's post
29-03-2017, 07:57 AM
I didn't see this but I have been wondering how accurately they portrayed her and the incidents surrounding her life and murder.

Did she come off as a sympathetic character at all?
As far as I'm concerned, the most accurate information I've seen on the kidnapping and murder was on Forensic Files.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
29-03-2017, 08:08 AM
Just did some digging - it looks like this David R Waters guy was charged for extortion and the kidnapping in a plea agreement. Presumably, this agreement would finger someone else for the murder charge and guide authorities to the bodies.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/01/28/us/tex...collection

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
29-03-2017, 08:12 AM
I watched it last night on Netflix too. I thought it was pretty good but not earth-shattering or anything. Leaving aside the accuracy or even the entertainment value/quality of the film itself I just found it refreshing that they're now making films about atheist figures alongside films about all the other civil rights leaders and advocates from various groups and movements. I guess we've finally "arrived" in the popular culture.
[+] 4 users Like Mr. Boston's post
29-03-2017, 02:56 PM
(29-03-2017 08:08 AM)kim Wrote:  Just did some digging - it looks like this David R Waters guy was charged for extortion and the kidnapping in a plea agreement. Presumably, this agreement would finger someone else for the murder charge and guide authorities to the bodies.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/01/28/us/tex...collection

Yeah, his partner got the murder rap, plus they killed their other partner, Fry.

While I appreciate Hollywood making a movie about an atheist, she came off as the hardass she was, so much so that anyone who is on the fence might think we are all assholes. She wasn't a sympathetic character at all.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
29-03-2017, 03:09 PM
I mentioned it in My Netflix Adventures thread....

I probably should update my thoughts on it there....

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
29-03-2017, 03:10 PM
(29-03-2017 02:56 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  ---
While I appreciate Hollywood making a movie about an atheist, she came off as the hardass she was, so much so that anyone who is on the fence might think we are all assholes. She wasn't a sympathetic character at all.

Yea - I was anticipating as much.

I'd like to see a good bio-flick about an atheist who's story is about their atheism and who is at least a nice person. Atheist or not, I always got the feeling Murray was just a grumpy old lady. Undecided

There is a fantastic film called Higher Ground staring Vera Farmiga but I'm not certain it is from memoir or complete fiction. Consider I'll check... Either way, I highly recommend it. Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
29-03-2017, 03:19 PM
Ah - here we go...
Higher Ground is a 2011 American drama film directed by Vera Farmiga in her directorial debut. The film is an adaptation of the 2002 memoir This Dark World: A Memoir of Salvation Found and Lost by Carolyn S. Briggs, who co-wrote the screenplay.

So, it was a true story. It was a very intimate story but very relatable for most people, I think.

[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
29-03-2017, 06:21 PM
(29-03-2017 07:41 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  I could have sworn I saw a thread about this movie but I can't seem to find it. If there is one, please merge it.

> It wasn't embezzlement, because the Murray-O'Hairs had full control over the American Atheist Trust Fund. I don't believe they ever stole money from members, but they were guilty of wasting money many times through bad business decisions and inefficient business practices.
[+] 4 users Like Gwaithmir's post