The Multi-Universe Theory

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-03-2015, 01:06 PM
The Multi-Universe Theory
I'm not sure what exactly to call the multi-universe theory discussed in Stephen Hawking's The Universe in a Nutshell, but I am interested in what people think of the concept? Does this mean that the number of universes in infinite? Does this mean that a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Richard_C's post
15-03-2015, 04:35 PM
RE: The Multi-Universe Theory
"The multi-verse theory indicates that in several possible universes I am a clown made out of candy - but in none of them, do I dance. --- Sheldon Cooper (The Big Bang Theory).

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 5 users Like onlinebiker's post
18-03-2015, 07:37 AM
'Grand Design' promotes M-theory, which brings all of the string theories together, by asserting that strings are really one-dimensional slices of a two-dimensional membrane vibrating in 11-dimensional space. No God necessary.
[+] 1 user Likes Kitson's post
18-03-2015, 08:25 AM
The WMAP (Wilkenson Microwave Anisotrophy Probe) was supposedly going to be able to find/see "data" left over from the Big Bang for the Multi-universe theory. I think they were disappointed (?)
http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/201...ull-t.html
Roger Penrose, (Hawking's mathmetician friend) as I recall supports the idea.
As long as humans have been "looking out" they keep finding other layers, both large and small, so I figure, "why not ?"

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
18-03-2015, 08:39 AM
There are many multiverse theories. Most don't produce testable predictions so remain firmly in the domain of metaphysics for the time being. Therefore unless you are working to advance one of the specific theories it is probably best to take a step back into philosophical territory.

Some multiverse hypotheses are intended to explain the origin of the universe, the cause of the big bang if such a cause can be said to make sense. This family of hypotheses can be contrasted with religious creation stories. In the words of Carl Sagan:
Quote:In many cultures it is customary to answer that God created the universe out of nothing. But this is mere temporizing. If we wish courageously to pursue the question, we must, of course ask next where God comes from. And if we decide this to be unanswerable, why not save a step and decide that the origin of the universe is an unanswerable question? Or, if we say that God has always existed, why not save a step and conclude that the universe has always existed?
So this class of multiverse hypotheses cover possibilities of an uncaused universe or eternal multiverse.

Another branch of multiverse hypotheses set out to explain quantum "wave function collapse" by describing possibilities such as parallel universes being created whenever a particle is absorbed, or quantum systems of various scales that come into sync or out of sync depending on interactions between them.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
20-03-2015, 08:33 AM
(18-03-2015 07:37 AM)Kitson Wrote:  'Grand Design' promotes M-theory, which brings all of the string theories together, by asserting that strings are really one-dimensional slices of a two-dimensional membrane vibrating in 11-dimensional space. No God necessary.
That may be what Hawking is getting at in Nutshell. I thought space was a dimension. And how can dimensions vibrate?
20-03-2015, 08:37 AM
(18-03-2015 08:39 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  There are many multiverse theories. Most don't produce testable predictions so remain firmly in the domain of metaphysics for the time being. Therefore unless you are working to advance one of the specific theories it is probably best to take a step back into philosophical territory.

Some multiverse hypotheses are intended to explain the origin of the universe, the cause of the big bang if such a cause can be said to make sense. This family of hypotheses can be contrasted with religious creation stories. In the words of Carl Sagan:
Quote:In many cultures it is customary to answer that God created the universe out of nothing. But this is mere temporizing. If we wish courageously to pursue the question, we must, of course ask next where God comes from. And if we decide this to be unanswerable, why not save a step and decide that the origin of the universe is an unanswerable question? Or, if we say that God has always existed, why not save a step and conclude that the universe has always existed?
So this class of multiverse hypotheses cover possibilities of an uncaused universe or eternal multiverse.

Another branch of multiverse hypotheses set out to explain quantum "wave function collapse" by describing possibilities such as parallel universes being created whenever a particle is absorbed, or quantum systems of various scales that come into sync or out of sync depending on interactions between them.
But aren't these theories also an attempt to explain how a singularity can exist? I don't understand the singularity anyway, but I think that is what Hawking is getting at with his illustration of the different histories of the universe starting at a "pole" like the physical one on earth.
20-03-2015, 08:39 AM
(20-03-2015 08:33 AM)Richard_C Wrote:  
(18-03-2015 07:37 AM)Kitson Wrote:  'Grand Design' promotes M-theory, which brings all of the string theories together, by asserting that strings are really one-dimensional slices of a two-dimensional membrane vibrating in 11-dimensional space. No God necessary.
That may be what Hawking is getting at in Nutshell. I thought space was a dimension. And how can dimensions vibrate?

It is the membrane vibrating, not the dimension.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
20-03-2015, 02:54 PM
(20-03-2015 08:39 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(20-03-2015 08:33 AM)Richard_C Wrote:  That may be what Hawking is getting at in Nutshell. I thought space was a dimension. And how can dimensions vibrate?

It is the membrane vibrating, not the dimension.
A membrane made of what?
20-03-2015, 03:01 PM
(20-03-2015 02:54 PM)Richard_C Wrote:  
(20-03-2015 08:39 AM)Chas Wrote:  It is the membrane vibrating, not the dimension.
A membrane made of what?

Spaghetti and sauce. Ramen.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 5 users Like The Organic Chemist's post