The Murex Trunculus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2014, 01:50 PM
The Murex Trunculus
This thread could be filled with the sound of......Crickets But I'll give it a go anyway.

My interest in fabric, color and dyeing comes from my career as a costume designer but there is quite a bit of science to dyeing fabric especially the color purple. Here is a creature that was used in ancient times to dye blues and purple, the Murex Trunculus, a sea snail from the Mediterranean area. Thousands of sea snails had to be used to dye fabric which was very expensive and why deep blue and purple was the color of royality for so long.

It's use died out when the Indigo (indigofera tinctoria) began to be used. The murex trunculus dye was only re-discovered recently.

Anyway, just something interesting to know. At least I think it's interesting. And for those snail lovers, yes, the snail gave it's life for the filming of this video.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
12-04-2014, 02:31 PM
RE: The Murex Trunculus
That's very interesting, glad you posted it. So you are a costume designer, I have never met anyone who designs or makes clothing. My wife loves the show Project Runway and when I watch it with her I marvel at the creativity.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
12-04-2014, 03:42 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2014 03:47 PM by DLJ.)
How did you resist all the punning opportunities?

Its use died out when Indigo began to be dyed in. The Murex Trunculus is now going through a purple patch. etc.
(OK, fair enough... not funny).

For some reason, I thought that royal purple came from a beetle (is that the cardinal red?)

Thanks for sharing.

12-04-2014, 09:05 PM
(12-04-2014 03:42 PM)DLJ Wrote:  How did you resist all the punning opportunities?

Its use died out when Indigo began to be dyed in. The Murex Trunculus is now going through a purple patch. etc.

For some reason, I thought that royal purple came from a beetle?

Sure. Sir Paul McCartney. Tongue

(Punning opportunity unresisted.)

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
12-04-2014, 09:59 PM
(12-04-2014 03:42 PM)DLJ Wrote:  How did you resist all the punning opportunities?

For some reason, I thought that royal purple came from a beetle (is that the cardinal red?)

Thanks for sharing.

"Indigofera tinctoria" --- I love it when you talk dirty.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.