The Mythical Hopelessness of Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-10-2016, 03:19 PM
The Mythical Hopelessness of Atheism
I recently came across this video in which an apparently moderate Christian attempts to apologize to atheists on behalf of his more fundamentalist cohorts and disavow extremism in order to defend the faith and the good that it does. I took the bait and engaged in a discussion with him in the comments (I'm "TranslatorCarminum," if anyone's interested in my remarks and his responses). In his latest remark as of the posting of this thread, he seems to have invoked a common apologist trope, namely the notion that atheism is an inherently hopeless worldview. I did my best to show that this is not necessarily true and encouraged him to find out more about what gives atheists hope, but I am curious as to how other non-believers would respond to this question. What gives you hope in a presumably godless cosmos, and more importantly, how can we combat the myth of atheist hopelessness?

The only sacred truth in science is that there are no sacred truths. – Carl Sagan
Sōla vēritās sancta in philosophiā nātūrālī est absentia vēritātum sanctārum.
Ἡ μόνη ἱερᾱ̀ ἀληθείᾱ ἐν φυσικῇ φιλοσοφίᾳ ἐστίν ἡ ἱερῶν ἀληθειῶν σπάνις.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Glossophile's post
04-10-2016, 03:22 PM
RE: The Mythical Hopelessness of Atheism
He hopes for an eternity of kissing jesus' ass and calls us "hopeless?"

Idiot.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 7 users Like Minimalist's post
04-10-2016, 03:27 PM
Make it personal:

"Are you saying I feel hopeless? But I don't. And I am an atheist. Might I suggest that your premise is incorrect? The fact that you would feel hopeless if you lost your identity as a Christian tells me that you are too personally bound up in the religious culture to properly and honestly evaluate whether or not your beliefs hold actual merit."

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 8 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
04-10-2016, 03:31 PM
The whole idea of all of this Christian hope seems rather shallow to me. So what if this god exists? What will you do for all eternity? Serve a dictator in a place where you have no free will?

A place that you might be aware of loved ones in eternity for hell, but you maintain your happy face for eternity so you don't displease the monster always over your shoulder, always judging your thoughts and actions.

This is a level of slavery that is incomprehensible, do they actually think this is going to be a desirable thing for all of eternity?

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
04-10-2016, 03:32 PM
Hope is over-rated. Just get through the day and learn to recognize and appreciate the little things that present themselves, your kid's smile, a good beer, playing your guitar loud on a Saturday afternoon. The future of mankind is really not our concern. I mean we should do what we can to improve the world, but we're nothing more than a blip in cosmic time; without any lasting "meaning." If that's a "hopeless" worldview, oh well. If find it to be a very liberated perspective, I get plenty of satisfaction from it.
[+] 4 users Like Mr. Boston's post
04-10-2016, 03:37 PM
(04-10-2016 03:19 PM)Glossophile Wrote:  What gives you hope in a presumably godless cosmos, ...

[Image: tadigras.jpg]

#sigh
[+] 6 users Like GirlyMan's post
04-10-2016, 03:53 PM
He must think this is how we are-

[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
04-10-2016, 04:25 PM
(04-10-2016 03:19 PM)Glossophile Wrote:  What gives you hope in a presumably godless cosmos, and more importantly, how can we combat the myth of atheist hopelessness?

Like most apolagetics, this says more about the Christians in question than anything else. They're the ones suffering under the threat of eternal damnation and belief in Christ is their only hope. It's so gods awful that while they've described hell in lurid detail they've never really figured out what heaven is. It's really just short-hand for "not burning in eternal torment". Talk about a bleak outlook.

Certain Christians need to believe in hopless atheists because to do otherwise would clash with their beliefs. An atheist with hope shows that either (1) god loves us too or (2) god isn't the source of all hope. Neither of these agree well with certain petty and hateful worldviews.

Hope is a human emotion. If you want it, go look to the people, not some imaginary sky daddy. To combat the myth, live well and love deeply.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 5 users Like Paleophyte's post
04-10-2016, 04:30 PM
Reality gives me hope that is real & tangible.
Religion is devoid of real hope. Its foundation is set upon a fantasy.

If my house is on fire, I have a real & tangible hope that firemen will arrive to help put out the fire when I call them for help.

As a religious person, when your house is on fire and you call only upon your god for help, how hopeless does that make you feel ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
04-10-2016, 04:40 PM
Every living being has hope - it drives us all to keep trying to survive. And all of us do that. If there was no hope, no living being would attempt anything. We all hope our actions will bring the desired results.

Saying living beings don't have hope makes no sense. Not only do atheists have hope, so does everything that tries to survive.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man