The Mythical Hopelessness of Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-10-2016, 01:16 PM
RE: The Mythical Hopelessness of Atheism
^^^^ This. I was told as a youth that mankind's purpose was to "Know, Love, and Serve God". I sat there thinking about all the other things people do and wondered about it. Huh Didn't make a lot of sense.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-10-2016, 01:20 PM
He lost me at around the 90 second mark when he claimed, "The bible says". Any theist who relies on his holy book as supportive of his claims immediately loses the debate in my opinion. Just as anyone who brings up the Nazis or Pol Pot does.

And my ears certainly didn't pick up any "apology" from this bloke; just the usual patronising Christian rhetoric.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
05-10-2016, 01:25 PM
Religious people who "reference" their faith as giving meaning and hope are telling themselves fibs. Do nuns and teachers do what they do, but HATE it ? No. They do what they probably would do anyway, and retroactively reference their activities to a broader context they claim to feel a part of, and that they feel they can claim as a broader picture justification. It makes them feel good. That's all vey nice. Angel

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
05-10-2016, 01:53 PM
(05-10-2016 01:20 PM)SYZ Wrote:  He lost me at around the 90 second mark when he claimed, "The bible says". Any theist who relies on his holy book as supportive of his claims immediately loses the debate in my opinion. Just as anyone who brings up the Nazis or Pol Pot does.

And my ears certainly didn't pick up any "apology" from this bloke; just the usual patronising Christian rhetoric.

Then you should have listened further.

I mean, I get it. I've been bombarded by stuff like the first minute and a half too, and he probably would have lost me there if I hadn't been getting ready to compose a counterargument. But you tuned out at exactly the wrong moment to grasp what he was on about.

Where he lost you, the Bible quote, was not him supporting or advancing a religious claim as you assumed. This wasn't a debate. It was an actual apology, and not an apologist-type apology but an I'm-sorry-type apology. He quoted the Bible, not to convince us that something was true, but to identify something that it tells Christians to do and that they are failing to do. It was him acknowledging that Christians have fallen far short of its standards. (And the standard he's citing is one of the decent ones, not one of the awful ones).

The explicit apology that you didn't hear starts at 4:15, but a lot of the video is building up to it and acknowledging the wrong done, both by humanist standards (though he doesn't explicitly use the word humanist) and by Christian standards.

True, he's off in his speculation about why atheists are atheists and misconstrues our states of existential hope, meaning, and purpose, and he spends time emphasizing that it's just (a lot of) people doing the religion wrong rather than something fundamentally wrong with the religion, and he inserts a lot of pro-faith sentiments and ends by calling on us to focus on what good Christians are doing, and all of those are grounds to criticize the video...

But he comes off as very sincere in his apology, acknowledging many things Christians are doing wrong in the name of their religion and being very critical of them, and he doesn't shove Bible quotes down our throats in the place of arguments.
05-10-2016, 02:19 PM
(05-10-2016 01:11 PM)Azaraith Wrote:  I'm still not sure what I could call my "purpose".

My purpose hath been bestoweth uponeth me by biological imperative. Unfortunately for biological imperative it left out the bit of the contract which said there have to be offspring.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.