The Nature of Altruism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-10-2011, 10:37 AM
RE: The Nature of Altruism
I remembered this thread when I read this article by Nick Kristof this morning. The relevant section comes near the end:

Quote:[O]ur brains impel us not only toward vices, but also toward virtues. In recent years, researchers have found that generosity isn’t always a sacrifice; instead, it often exhilarates us. . . .

On the basis of the latest brain research, as well as practical experience, let’s acknowledge this profound truth: altruism and generosity can be hedonistic pleasures.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-10-2011, 05:51 PM (This post was last modified: 30-10-2011 05:57 PM by GirlyMan.)
(30-10-2011 10:37 AM)cufflink Wrote:  On the basis of the latest brain research, as well as practical experience, let’s acknowledge this profound truth: altruism and generosity can be hedonistic pleasures.

Or we could just tell Hamata k to let loose and beat the stupid out of us as well. I know hedonism, and that shit ain't even close.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
30-10-2011, 06:26 PM
I can only see altruism as being hedonistic if coupled with masochism and a death wish. Being altruistic is truthfully asking to die. I would definitely say there are better forms of hedonism =p

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post
30-10-2011, 06:34 PM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2011 10:59 PM by GirlyMan.)
(30-10-2011 06:26 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  I can only see altruism as being hedonistic if coupled with masochism and a death wish. Being altruistic is truthfully asking to die. I would definitely say there are better forms of hedonism =p

Shit, where've you been bitch?

30-10-2011, 06:57 PM
I'll have you know I am a queen. A female cat in heat is considered a queen not a bitch. I am in no way a dog you should know that =p

I've been busy trying to figure out how to (legally) get to canada in an affordable manner.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
30-10-2011, 07:04 PM
Hello, Lilith.

Good to hear from you. And allow me to compliment you on your fine taste in destination countries Cool

Funny thing is, when my cat is being a queen, I'm like, "For the love of God, shut up, bitch!" Tongue

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
30-10-2011, 11:35 PM
(30-10-2011 06:26 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  Being altruistic is truthfully asking to die.

Could you expand on that, Lilith? I'm not sure I understand your point.

(And by the way, welcome back!)

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
31-10-2011, 07:46 AM
Well as someone who looked at things too far in order to be altruistic you would have to choose not to eat as eating would be imposing on other life. You couldn't work as that would take a job away from someone else. There's very little you can do as the entire world exists in a competitive fashion. I seriously have these thoughts often, so I have to convince myself not to. The only ones who would enjoy this sort of life are those who enjoy pain and those who really just want to die. There is no action that keeps you from hurting something even standing still you kill off millions of small organisms. Even if you keep your focus to humanity any social intercourse is going to cause sway from one person to another. You can't really discuss anything in a group as the people around you will have their lives effected by how everyone else sees them.

As a selfish pleasure yes altruism is a drug. People like to be able to say they did something for the sake of others. But, actual altruism is insanely self sacrificing. It can be done you just won't live long and if you do manage to it won't be a satisfying life. There's a huge difference between the occasional decision to make a difference in someone elses life and living day to day trying to always make a difference to everyone else.

[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post
01-11-2011, 02:49 PM
(30-10-2011 06:26 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  Being altruistic is truthfully asking to die.

Us mathematicians call these kinda solution sets - elegant. Big Grin

This person knows the score. Altruism is incomplete without love. And love conquers All, including the self - one must be rational in one's love - or as close to rational as can be maintained. Through experimentation, it seems I can end as a function of will - yikes - but that doesn't make my Gwynnies smile. So I'm still here running my neck. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-11-2011, 11:05 PM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2011 11:11 PM by GirlyMan.)

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post