The Nature of God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-09-2013, 01:07 PM
The Nature of God
I was thinking about the creation story in the Bible today. Many Christians say that we were created so god could share his love with humans and we would enter into a relationship with him.

Personally, i see a big flaw in this. In Christianity, they believe that Yahweh is the most perfect being to ever exist. To them, he fulfills all the requirements of a god (omnipotence, omniscience, omnipresence). And not only that but he is morally 'perfect' and just in all his ways no matter what.

But what really bothered me was the fact that a perfectly whole god had to make anything at all. Christians believe that before we were created there was nothing else as far as the universe in concerned. The most perfect state of being would be a time when only god existed. If he is the perfect god that Christians claim him to be, the best state of being HAS to be a time when only he exists, since to bring anything else less perfect into the equation (like angels or humans), would put a huge black stain on his existence, since we are not perfect. So, this means that god made existence/the universe less perfect by binging us into it, which to me completely contradicts his nature.

Also, why would a perfect god feel like he has to share love with us? Isn't the perfect god perfectly whole on his own? I don't see at all how sacrificing that amount of quality in human imperfection could possibly make him more whole/satisfied, and I don't see how anything else could make him more whole since he is already in perfection. To me, this is evidence that Yahweh is an invention of humans, because of how shamefully anthropomorphized he is (like him having so many emotional properties in common with humans) He couldn't possibly even want or need love if he is god. He shouldn't want anything right?

I'm curious to see what you guys think of this. It's still a pretty fresh thought in my mind. Please point out any flaws i may have in my thinking. Consider
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Shawnzy's post
11-09-2013, 01:39 PM
RE: The Nature of God
Neanderthals were bigger and stronger than us... but we showed them... we survived, not them. We were once vegetarians which is why our intestines are so fucking long. Then we started killing animals to eat them... animals that were different than us, sort of. They would have eaten us if given the chance... but we were bigger and stronger and hungrier.

We are the last of our kind.
Humans invented god to justify narcissism.

We suck and we know it and we're proud of it, godfuckingdamnit. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
11-09-2013, 03:17 PM
(11-09-2013 01:07 PM)Shawnzy Wrote:  I was thinking about the creation story in the Bible today. Many Christians say that we were created so god could share his love with humans and we would enter into a relationship with him.

Personally, i see a big flaw in this. In Christianity, they believe that Yahweh is the most perfect being to ever exist. To them, he fulfills all the requirements of a god (omnipotence, omniscience, omnipresence). And not only that but he is morally 'perfect' and just in all his ways no matter what.

But what really bothered me was the fact that a perfectly whole god had to make anything at all. Christians believe that before we were created there was nothing else as far as the universe in concerned. The most perfect state of being would be a time when only god existed. If he is the perfect god that Christians claim him to be, the best state of being HAS to be a time when only he exists, since to bring anything else less perfect into the equation (like angels or humans), would put a huge black stain on his existence, since we are not perfect. So, this means that god made existence/the universe less perfect by binging us into it, which to me completely contradicts his nature.

Also, why would a perfect god feel like he has to share love with us? Isn't the perfect god perfectly whole on his own? I don't see at all how sacrificing that amount of quality in human imperfection could possibly make him more whole/satisfied, and I don't see how anything else could make him more whole since he is already in perfection. To me, this is evidence that Yahweh is an invention of humans, because of how shamefully anthropomorphized he is (like him having so many emotional properties in common with humans) He couldn't possibly even want or need love if he is god. He shouldn't want anything right?

I'm curious to see what you guys think of this. It's still a pretty fresh thought in my mind. Please point out any flaws i may have in my thinking. Consider

You are correct in pointing out the inconcistencies in the explanations by religious peeps. However even if there weren't any inconsistencies, that wouldn't be evidence for the existence of a god. Not having evidence is the cake and the incosistencies of the narrative is the icing.
[+] 4 users Like I and I's post
11-09-2013, 03:18 PM
(11-09-2013 01:39 PM)kim Wrote:  Neanderthals were bigger and stronger than us... but we showed them... we survived, not them. We were once vegetarians which is why our intestines are so fucking long. Then we started killing animals to eat them... animals that were different than us, sort of. They would have eaten us if given the chance... but we were bigger and stronger and hungrier.

We are the last of our kind.
Humans invented god to justify narcissism.

We suck and we know it and we're proud of it, godfuckingdamnit. Drinking Beverage

Lil kim are you Korean?
12-09-2013, 07:32 PM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2013 08:25 PM by SeventhSon.)
Everything about a personal god is contradictory, especially with regard to religions (most apply) that indicate that god is purely good.

It's fascinating that so many religious people seem to have a strange dream-like infatuation when it comes to god. For example, Christians don't seem to acknowledge that, for Satan to exist, god must have created him, and therefore an all-knowing, all-powerful god that creates "pure evil" is thus evil itself, or at least has evil tendencies.
[+] 2 users Like SeventhSon's post
13-09-2013, 08:08 PM

You can't describe God like describing a person or a thing. Because according to some Muslims, Christians, Deists, Pantheists and Panentheists, God don't have any kind of body, shape and form. It is not even a spirit. If you ask Muslims esp. the Kalam scholars or Sufis, they will said we can't ponder the dhat (nature, reality, self, essence) and sifat (attributes) of God. Thus, God is actually unknowable, that automatically turn into a special kind of agnosticism.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Mike's post
13-09-2013, 08:25 PM
(11-09-2013 01:07 PM)Shawnzy Wrote:  I was thinking about the creation story in the Bible today. Many Christians say that we were created so god could share his love with humans and we would enter into a relationship with him.

You can stop at "a time".
Spacetime began when this universe started.
Anything referencing those dimensions with respect to a deity, are meaningless.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
14-09-2013, 04:16 AM
(13-09-2013 08:25 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

You can stop at "a time".
Spacetime began when this universe started.
Anything referencing those dimensions with respect to a deity, are meaningless.

So who or what used the concept of time before humans?
14-09-2013, 04:23 AM
(13-09-2013 08:08 PM)Mike Wrote:  You can't describe God like describing a person or a thing. Because according to some Muslims, Christians, Deists, Pantheists and Panentheists, God don't have any kind of body, shape and form. It is not even a spirit. If you ask Muslims esp. the Kalam scholars or Sufis, they will said we can't ponder the dhat (nature, reality, self, essence) and sifat (attributes) of God. Thus, God is actually unknowable, that automatically turn into a special kind of agnosticism.

The non-existent is unknowable? Sure, I'll buy that.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
14-09-2013, 05:06 AM

(14-09-2013 04:23 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-09-2013 08:08 PM)Mike Wrote:  You can't describe God like describing a person or a thing. Because according to some Muslims, Christians, Deists, Pantheists and Panentheists, God don't have any kind of body, shape and form. It is not even a spirit. If you ask Muslims esp. the Kalam scholars or Sufis, they will said we can't ponder the dhat (nature, reality, self, essence) and sifat (attributes) of God. Thus, God is actually unknowable, that automatically turn them into a special kind of agnosticism.

The non-existent is unknowable? Sure, I'll buy that.

How to disprove something that many people called undisprovable and unfalsifiable?
Quote this message in a reply