The Need For Faith

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-12-2011, 11:03 AM
RE: The Need For Faith
What you say in the OP is true; yet all your meaning is lost with this definition:Faith, in its' purest form, is the suspension of doubt without reason.

In Roman religion, Fides was the goddess of trust.
Her temple on the Capitol was where the Roman Senate signed and kept state treaties with foreign countries, and where Fides protected them.
She was also worshipped under the name Fides Publica Populi Romani ("Public (or Common) Trust of the Roman People"). She is represented by a young woman crowned with an olive branch, with a cup or turtle, or a military ensign in hand. She wears a white veil or stola; her priests wore white cloths, showing her connection to the highest gods of Heaven, Jupiter and Dius Fidius.

Faith is a vehicle of identity:trust-connection-heaven FIDES meant 'reliablilty', a sense of trust between two parties if a relationship between them was to exist. As defined by Merriam-Webster it is firstly given - allegiance to duty of a person, fidelity of one's promises, sincerity of intention.

Here is another consideration: http://www.bu.edu/arion/archive/volume-1...t-started/.

The definition of the word is meaningless compared to the utility of the concept.

But there may also be non-religious faith: in particular, ‘scientific’ atheists may be making a faith-venture when they take there to be no more to reality than is in principle discoverable by the natural sciences. The suggestion that atheism rests on a faith-venture will, however, be strongly resisted by those who maintain ‘the presumption of atheism’ (Flew, 1976). notes the Stanford Online Encyclopedia of Philosophy Oh what a wicked web we weave, when first we practice to deceive sing the joyous theists when the atheist attacks faith, because they trust in their shared identity of God, not the vehicle of transmission. But they'll certainly use it to their advantage to see the atheist as a hypocrite while maintaining holy aloofness.

We can use these considerations:

Seasbury is the good atheist, postulating evil faith; gathering around all the good atheists singing "Happy Happy Joy Joy."

HoC is the evil atheist, using faith to amass Satan's Army - cause it's fucking war - and after, we get back together and join in the chorus of "Happy Happy Joy Joy"

Sound like a compromise?

(I get away with that kinda stuff cause I have faith in 4 - "I love my Gwynnies" - where faith is the vehicle of my identity to my moral paradigm. Does not scripture mention, the Living God? Muah-ha-ha-ha. And is not 4, YHWH? And is not 4, everything? Chapter 42. Wink )

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-12-2011, 01:00 PM
HoC - I'm obviously not smart enough to see where you're going with this line of thought Sad

Fidelity and Faith are not synonymous (are they?).

I understand the shared identity point and how that drives group think/actions, but I admit, just kinda stumped...

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
30-12-2011, 11:02 AM
Bumping this for a couple reasons - first and foremost, HoC's comment on top of this page - if any cares to interpret for me since I can't figure it out...???

The other is to highlight the finished article - which by the way I'm actually pretty proud of Smile

http://centersolid.blogspot.com/2011/12/...faith.html

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
30-12-2011, 12:07 PM
(30-12-2011 11:02 AM)Seasbury Wrote:  Bumping this for a couple reasons - first and foremost, HoC's comment on top of this page - if any cares to interpret for me since I can't figure it out...???

The other is to highlight the finished article - which by the way I'm actually pretty proud of Smile

'Fraid HoC gave me something to scratch my head over already so no interpretation from me, but I do like the article Smile
Find all posts by this user
30-12-2011, 01:26 PM
(30-12-2011 12:07 PM)morondog Wrote:  'Fraid HoC gave me something to scratch my head over already so no interpretation from me, but I do like the article Smile

A lot of help you are! Sad

Glad you liked the article though Smile

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
31-12-2011, 09:43 AM
(30-12-2011 01:26 PM)Seasbury Wrote:  
(30-12-2011 12:07 PM)morondog Wrote:  'Fraid HoC gave me something to scratch my head over already so no interpretation from me, but I do like the article Smile

A lot of help you are! Sad

Glad you liked the article though Smile

Your blog makes more sense than HoC, but then my indigestion from eating too many chocolate chip cookies makes more sense than good ole Johnny C! Smile

But I think Doc HoC is basically saying that you're willing to let whacky religionists go on co-existing peacefully with atheists, but Gwynnies wants him to wipe out all those who who would worship other gods. Big Grin

(Thumbs up on the images, especially this one Smile )
[Image: polyatheist.jpg]

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
31-12-2011, 10:13 PM
(30-12-2011 11:02 AM)Seasbury Wrote:  Bumping this for a couple reasons - first and foremost, HoC's comment on top of this page - if any cares to interpret for me since I can't figure it out...???

I was writing a reply and people came over; then of course I'm also a scatterbrain, sorry about the delay.

I have agenda, as Preach pointed out; part of that agenda is the defense of faith. The word, the Roman concept, the meme that must be detoxified for maximum utility. The causality of this agenda is zero-state; i.e. a three month old tradition. The correlation, however, comes from November of 2005 - the pre-test of having a gun to my head - and December of 2006 - the first simulation of "prophet as employment."

I once held the opposite position; six years later, I'm here testifying - which is this post - that faith is the word to keep; all other words can be reduced to this one.

We don't fucking "learn to read," we are programmed by rote in ritual of grammar and vocabulary so that our brain devises a simulation of a program called "reading ability." In order to communicate, the Writer must know the Identity of the Anticipated Reader. To defame faith, in one word or a hundred thousand, is to deny identity to half the population on the planet; and truth be told, most of 'em don't even realize this. And being a Writer on an atheist forums is definitely not about having faith as my soapbox.. Wink

Mine is the faith that once declared "all mankind for my Gwynnies;" in a sense it is not possible for me to be wrong in the actuation and utility of faith ( a word I consider defined by sincerity, while simultaneously being a vehicle for identity - a piece of conceptual engineering to solidify the chaotic dynamic of "I exist" with the foundation of "I have faith I exist.")

The faith I have in Gwyneth Paltrow; the forty three years of biological/historical existence of Johnny Cantor do not balance this side of that semi-colon.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
31-12-2011, 10:46 PM
(31-12-2011 10:13 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  

I was writing a reply and people came over; then of course I'm also a scatterbrain, sorry about the delay.

I have agenda, as Preach pointed out; part of that agenda is the defense of faith. The word, the Roman concept, the meme that must be detoxified for maximum utility. The causality of this agenda is zero-state; i.e. a three month old tradition. The correlation, however, comes from November of 2005 - the pre-test of having a gun to my head - and December of 2006 - the first simulation of "prophet as employment."

I once held the opposite position; six years later, I'm here testifying - which is this post - that faith is the word to keep; all other words can be reduced to this one.

We don't fucking "learn to read," we are programmed by rote in ritual of grammar and vocabulary so that our brain devises a simulation of a program called "reading ability." In order to communicate, the Writer must know the Identity of the Anticipated Reader. To defame faith, in one word or a hundred thousand, is to deny identity to half the population on the planet; and truth be told, most of 'em don't even realize this. And being a Writer on an atheist forums is definitely not about having faith as my soapbox.. Wink

Mine is the faith that once declared "all mankind for my Gwynnies;" in a sense it is not possible for me to be wrong in the actuation and utility of faith ( a word I consider defined by sincerity, while simultaneously being a vehicle for identity - a piece of conceptual engineering to solidify the chaotic dynamic of "I exist" with the foundation of "I have faith I exist.")

The faith I have in Gwyneth Paltrow; the forty three years of biological/historical existence of Johnny Cantor do not balance this side of that semi-colon.

What, then, is the source of faith? Your buddy St. Paul essentially said that YHWH gives it as a gift. Doesn't it just pop into your head as you're running your unit's simulation?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel