The New Age Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-12-2013, 08:16 PM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2013 08:22 PM by Gordon.)
The New Age Atheist
There was this girl...woman...what have you. She claimed to believe in spirits, ghosts, and contacting the dead, but claimed she was an atheist and that she didn't believe God exists.

So, I simply asked a question... (what?)

I asked her how she could believe in the immortal soul and still be an atheist? Aren't you supposed to believe it's all just dirt to dirt?

I ended up banning her. [Image: 40%20(11).gif]

No, no, no, it had nothing to do with her being an atheist. She went onto Facebook and said I called her a name, and I did no such thing. I told her I'd gladly reinstate her if she could just link to where I called her the name. Of course, she couldn't do that.

So what do you think about what she said? Is there any room for a New Age Atheist? [Image: aa4%20(2).gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2013, 08:28 PM
RE: The New Age Atheist
Sure there is room... It seems that so many people here are always posting threads, trying to (re)define things that already have simple and specific meanings. To be atheist is simply not believing in god(s). You could be completely insane, believing Reubin the unicorn is secretly plotting your demise, and still be atheist.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 8 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
06-12-2013, 08:38 PM
My guess is that's absolute crap, Gordon.

Especially since I saw your website and the person whom you claim is the person you banned for libel was someone you probably don't actually have on your facebook page - as you like to boast online and it's really easy to screen capture your made up adventures. Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
06-12-2013, 08:39 PM
There are plenty of people who call themselves Buddhists who don't believe in a god-thing and still believe in reincarnation. It's kinda stupid, but there it is...

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 2 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
06-12-2013, 08:41 PM
Tequila Mockingbird is right. The idea of your brain being your personality/identity doesn't have anything to due with atheism.
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
06-12-2013, 08:41 PM
I'm just amazed there was someone on his forum to ban.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
06-12-2013, 08:44 PM
(06-12-2013 08:41 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I'm just amazed there was someone on his forum to ban.

Well, now there isn't.
[+] 3 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
06-12-2013, 08:47 PM
(06-12-2013 08:28 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Sure there is room... It seems that so many people here are always posting threads, trying to (re)define things that already have simple and specific meanings. To be atheist is simply not believing in god(s). You could be completely insane, believing Reubin the unicorn is secretly plotting your demise, and still be atheist.

Well, I was thinking the same thing. I mean, I believe God is monistic in nature, so I don't even know if it's appropriate to talk about the existence of God. And, it would seem that if we died and went on to a spiritual plane of existence, the sense of God being there may even be less than it is now. It may be that the closer one gets to the Divine, the less apparent the Divine is.

So, is a monist the same thing as an atheist?

In other words, if you believe that all that exists is God, and everything is God, and nothing exists that is not of the single substance wich is God. And if even our own minds are merely made up dream character minds from the mind of God--then is it even appropriate to talk about the existence of God?

(06-12-2013 08:38 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  My guess is that's absolute crap, Gordon.

Especially since I saw your website and the person whom you claim is the person you banned for libel was someone you probably don't actually have on your facebook page - as you like to boast online and it's really easy to screen capture your made up adventures. Big Grin

What? Hobo I don't care you're insinuating I'm lying, I just don't see how it even matters to this post if I am. The question still stands. I was just giving you a little background--which happens to be true.
06-12-2013, 08:51 PM
(06-12-2013 08:41 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I'm just amazed there was someone on his forum to ban.

Give me a break...it's new. Dodgy

I had this FB group before that by the same name, but it was too limiting.
06-12-2013, 10:44 PM
(06-12-2013 08:16 PM)Gordon Wrote:  There was this girl...woman...what have you. She claimed to believe in spirits, ghosts, and contacting the dead, but claimed she was an atheist and that she didn't believe God exists.

So, I simply asked a question... (what?)

I asked her how she could believe in the immortal soul and still be an atheist? Aren't you supposed to believe it's all just dirt to dirt?

No. Technically, atheism just refers to the belief or lack of belief in gods, nothing else. You can totally believe in ghosts, spirits, reincarnation, big foot, and Obama birth certificate fraud and still be an atheist. All atheism requires is that you don't believe in any gods.

Now, I can understand your confusion. A lot of atheists (most of them?) consider themselves rationalists, and rationalists wouldn't believe in any of those other things either, but putting all that under the term "atheist" is over-defining the term.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post