The New Age Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2013, 07:01 PM
RE: The New Age Atheist
So with the very first response, I both answered the question, and tried to avoid this waste of time redefining of atheism...

And yet, here we are, page 13..
Dodgy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2013, 07:17 PM
(08-12-2013 07:00 PM)Luminon Wrote:  
(07-12-2013 05:35 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  With as long as you have been here you have seen many different people with as many points of view where the only thing they had in common was a lack of a belief in a god or gods. Lets take my favorite example of a credulous atheist, Luminon is a member here and is into all kinds of Woo-based pseudo-science everything from astral projection to energy fields in the body that are undetectable. None of that revokes him from being an atheist despite the fact that 9 out of 10 other atheists would think he was batshit crazy for believing in all that.
It's surprising how difficult it is to get this point across to people. I don't believe, I experience things hands-on. I just have very unusual hands. Or the whole nerve system, it's inborn. I'm hard-wired to perceive woo, so the point of whether I believe is moot. An experience is not something to believe or disbelieve, but to investigate. You have to find some other really credulous atheist Wink

But besides that, yeah, as far as you're concerned, I'm *basically* an atheist. I wrote and defended my Bachelor's thesis in praise of American Atheism. It has Sean Faircloth and Aron Ra in it. It gives a good summary on what goes on with you atheist guys to the local academic community. Believe me, I'm spreading the awareness (rehashing the topic) whenever a teacher wants an assignment from me.

That was meant with Love. You're kind of kooky but an ok guy, so no hard feelings, huh?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
08-12-2013, 07:27 PM
Now, this is just a comment on the title of the OP and it to me raises a few eyebrows, so bear with me...

The old aged theist talks about the idea of "the new age atheism".

It's sort of reminiscent of "The Outlaw from Indiana -or- The Inlaws from Outdiana.", doncha think?

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
08-12-2013, 07:48 PM
It is not at all clear to me why you bitches ain't blowing me.

[Image: boob.jpg]

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
08-12-2013, 08:04 PM
(08-12-2013 07:17 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  That was meant with Love. You're kind of kooky but an ok guy, so no hard feelings, huh?
Of course with Love! I know. Smile *note to self- use more smillies!*
But it's really confusing. I think the main difference between me and typical skeptics is like between INTP and INTJ. The Judgers close the case ASAP and disbelieve by default unless proven true in their favorite journal of physics. The Perceivers are comfortable with keeping options open, with possibilities growing and branching and with fifty shades of confidence.

I vaguely remember belief back then when I was a kid, I grew up among Lutherans and believed in God, heaven and hell. (not baptized though) Then in my pre-teens my folks hung around some kooky New Age leaders who turned out to be false prophets as well, but mostly harmless, nothing like the American ones. My folks went a long way to reason too, in their own way.

But the perception of woo? I remember having it when I was about 4 years old and it never missed a day ever since, I'd say it's growing on me. The energy fields are as intimate to me as a second skin, or second set of clothes, it's just a different kind of animal than the metaphorical lamb of belief Tongue
Actually, the perception of woo drew me to science, evidence, skepticism and rationality. It doesn't seem to be useful enough to have any practical application that I could use to make a living as a Reiki healer or a psychic or something like that. So where else can we find real, practical applications of knowledge? In science. Where can I find people who know science? On skeptical forums. Way to go Big Grin
08-12-2013, 08:13 PM
(08-12-2013 07:00 PM)Luminon Wrote:  It's surprising how difficult it is to get this point across to people. I don't believe, I experience things hands-on. I just have very unusual hands. Or the whole nerve system, it's inborn. I'm hard-wired to perceive woo, so the point of whether I believe is moot. An experience is not something to believe or disbelieve, but to investigate.

Right on Lumi. Thumbsup

My Richard Feynman was an explorer of his own mind - he was all for investigating his life experience. He explored salt water tanks and meditation and never failed to get high just playing his bongos!

His famous orange juice mantra. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 5 users Like kim's post
08-12-2013, 09:18 PM
(08-12-2013 08:04 PM)Luminon Wrote:  But the perception of woo? I remember having it when I was about 4 years old and it never missed a day ever since, I'd say it's growing on me. The energy fields are as intimate to me as a second skin, or second set of clothes, it's just a different kind of animal than the metaphorical lamb of belief Tongue

Until you can demonstrate any coherent physical mechanism accounting for independently verifiable phenomena external to your subjective personal experience, the rest of us will go on waiting.

Drinking Beverage

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
08-12-2013, 09:25 PM
(07-12-2013 09:19 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(07-12-2013 01:48 AM)Gordon Wrote:  I love this. In the past (like ten years ago), no self-respecting atheist would have been anything other than a secular materialist. Now you all can believe in ghosts. Rolleyes

I am not laughing. Or at least I'm not saying I don't believe in ghosts; I'm just flabbergasted that atheism is already beginning to collapse under its own weight--just like the Christian Church.

I blame the modern world. We have discovered too much strange Censored to go on acting like everything is deterministic material physics.

Well, hell, for all I know, maybe I'm an atheist, too. I mean, what is the god you don't believe in? I may not believe in him either. Blink

What I do believe in is this:

We are creations of an Ultimate Being.
We are like its dream images, like the dream people you create when you dream.
We have a spiritual plane where our thougts create a universe--each one of us does.
Our purpose is to be happy, not so much here, but there.
We are incarnated here to go through suffering to learn wisdom so we can create a universe where we experience joy. Why?
Because we are a modality of the Ultimate Being. Its joy only comes from the joy we create.
If we create a hell, the Ultimate Source expereinces that hell.
If we create a hell, we are reincarnated to learn more wisdom, so we might get it right the next time we die and wake up on our spiritual plane.

Do I think it matters if one is an atheist? Frankly, no. Belief in God is not a way in which we "worship" god. We worship god through the practice of our psychic skills, through living a holy life, both of which lead to the wisdom necessary to create joy in our individual universes within the Ultimate Source's multiverse.

So, as you can imagine, I'm thrilled to hear you can be an atheist and believe in ghosts. Shocking

Wow - that's like - magical! ShockingShockingShocking

But..........erm
I think you need to steer clear from ghosts if you wish to be taken seriously. Ghosts, hon, by definition is the *spirit* now in another plane of existence. So....things like 'spirit' and 'planes of existence' are getting you dangerously close to admitting to the same factors which make up a god. Just like tarot cards, crystal balls, most anything in the Magic department (ask me- I'm an expert).
Atheism is Non-belief - indicating no acceptance of the supernatural or tendencies, attachments, attributes thereof. It's one of those places, Gordon, where you don't get to have your cake and eat it to. The two things really don't jive.

Believe me - I've tried to marry the two concepts. They just do not jive.

Your everyday garden variety atheist sees God as ensconced within the religions of The Book i.e Judaism,Islam, and Christianity. They say all this Biblical stuff sounds crazy, so they opt for atheism, never thinking to even vaguely consider any other spiritual teachings........
Atheists tend to place ghosts, ghoulies, trifids, elves, pixies,demons, demiurges etc in the too hard basket(cos they sound scary) and also categorically deny their possibility to exist also.

Transcendental phenomena, imagined or otherwise, is not something to be taken too lightly, even by hard line atheists. After all secular life can be weird enough without adding the supranormal...........if it should somehow exist, of course.Angel
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
08-12-2013, 09:41 PM
(08-12-2013 08:13 PM)kim Wrote:  My Richard Feynman was an explorer of his own mind - he was all for investigating his life experience. He explored salt water tanks and meditation and never failed to get high just playing his bongos!

His famous orange juice mantra. Wink

He gave up the booze when he realized it was wrecking his head. ... Girly's wearing a different helmet.

#sigh
08-12-2013, 09:50 PM
(08-12-2013 08:04 PM)Luminon Wrote:  
(08-12-2013 07:17 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  That was meant with Love. You're kind of kooky but an ok guy, so no hard feelings, huh?
Of course with Love! I know. Smile *note to self- use more smillies!*
But it's really confusing. I think the main difference between me and typical skeptics is like between INTP and INTJ. The Judgers close the case ASAP and disbelieve by default unless proven true in their favorite journal of physics. The Perceivers are comfortable with keeping options open, with possibilities growing and branching and with fifty shades of confidence.

I vaguely remember belief back then when I was a kid, I grew up among Lutherans and believed in God, heaven and hell. (not baptized though) Then in my pre-teens my folks hung around some kooky New Age leaders who turned out to be false prophets as well, but mostly harmless, nothing like the American ones. My folks went a long way to reason too, in their own way.

But the perception of woo? I remember having it when I was about 4 years old and it never missed a day ever since, I'd say it's growing on me. The energy fields are as intimate to me as a second skin, or second set of clothes, it's just a different kind of animal than the metaphorical lamb of belief Tongue
Actually, the perception of woo drew me to science, evidence, skepticism and rationality. It doesn't seem to be useful enough to have any practical application that I could use to make a living as a Reiki healer or a psychic or something like that. So where else can we find real, practical applications of knowledge? In science. Where can I find people who know science? On skeptical forums. Way to go Big Grin

During your avenue into science, have you ever come across anything that may explain these energy fields you as you perceive? Your descriptions of these fields,as perceived since your youth, seem somewhat similar to what I went through, and find I still go through - synesthesia. It didn't grow on me, because I tried my best to suppress it as a child and also I didn't connect what I was going through to anything spiritual. Would you agree with the thought that there might be a chance that what you are experiencing, could in actuality be explained by science, with our current understanding and knowledge?

Apologies if my response to you seems choppy - I've been typing while watching Dr. Lawrence Krauss on a hangout.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]