The New Age Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-12-2013, 08:59 AM
RE: The New Age Atheist
(09-12-2013 01:13 AM)Gordon Wrote:  Because mind is all around us. Everyone has an experience of it. But there is 0 evidence it comes from the brain. In fact, the evidence is to the contrary.

"Evidence"

Yeah. Whaddaya got?

(09-12-2013 01:13 AM)Gordon Wrote:  I have a mind that has seen future events before they occurred. I have had five serious episodes of precognition in my life, which I have documented.

Subjective personal experience is not compelling.

(09-12-2013 01:13 AM)Gordon Wrote:  I have read countless other reports by other people.

Someone else's subjective personal experience is even less compelling.

(09-12-2013 01:13 AM)Gordon Wrote:  Animal and human telepathy is scientifically proven and anyone can do the repeatable experiments. No one seriously doubts that telepathy exists, even though they can't say why.

This is completely and utterly not true.

(09-12-2013 01:13 AM)Gordon Wrote:  Creatures without neurological systems appear to demonstrate will (paramecium and jellyfish). None of this is possible with a brain.

This is called responding to stimuli, which is eminently possible and explicable.

(09-12-2013 01:13 AM)Gordon Wrote:  The universe shows evidence of order rather than chaos (one example is our communication and the computers we are using to accomplish it).

Meaningless god of the gaps.

(09-12-2013 01:13 AM)Gordon Wrote:  That's all quite a bit of evidence.

Dream on.

(09-12-2013 01:13 AM)Gordon Wrote:  You must come from a different country with a different educational system because in the U.S., anyway, you don't write a "bachelor's thesis." That's what you do for a master's degree, and you write a dissertation for a doctorate degree.

It is traditional in an honours degree to include a thesis component. That's what makes it an honours degree...

(09-12-2013 01:13 AM)Gordon Wrote:  
(08-12-2013 09:18 PM)cjlr Wrote:  But what does the acceptance of such an idea gain us? An always existing disembodied mind is more mystifying than the problem of the ultimate origin of the universe. I'm not saying that the issue of ultimate origin isn't perplexing but I don't feel less perplexed when I attribute the physical universee to an eternal disembodied mind.

That wasn't me, that was Chippy.

(he's right, though)

(09-12-2013 01:13 AM)Gordon Wrote:  And yet, it exists, doesn't it? We have no explanation for mind. There isn't even a theory of mind that holds any water. You fire up a brain, and you see how it's all buzzing around and yet none of that gives us a clue as to why we "perceive" it buzzing around.

We know a lot about it, and more all the time.

Perception is eminently explicable. We know exactly what stimuli prompt neurosensory responses. We know exactly by which mechanisms these stimuli are translated to the brain. We know in great detail how these signals are interpreted by the brain.

(09-12-2013 01:13 AM)Gordon Wrote:  Mind may seem preplexing, but it may simply be what is. In fact it may require no explanation at all. It may be the only thing that doesn't require an explanation. An eternal mind that has always been and never will not be, that is essentially creating all of the universe as a kind of dream, may simply be the way mind works.

That's not an explanation.

"It just is, because NEVER YOU MIND."

You'll have to forgive me for finding that pathetically vacuous.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like cjlr's post
09-12-2013, 10:18 AM
(09-12-2013 08:59 AM)cjlr Wrote:  That's not an explanation.

"It just is, because NEVER YOU MIND."

You'll have to forgive me for finding that pathetically vacuous.

No. You don't have to be forgiven; it is pathetically vacuous. Shy

Egsy just can't get his mind around ... uh ... mind.

It's as if he's always gotten only part of the way through things and then just stops and says, "There, that's it; I've made a thinky.". I know he has the wherewithal to pull up google and research about quantum physics or quantum mechanics... but he only seems to read the first few sentences of each paragraph and then, it seems he puts that together and he thinks he's got something. He just doesn't go deep.

Sadly, he doesn't go deep where his "personal spirituality" shit is, either. I think he'd be a much happier individual if he really concentrated on focusing on and chipping away at the ego. One would hope to one day call him Gordon... but until he really does something different, he will always be a sad little Ego®. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
09-12-2013, 11:33 AM
(06-12-2013 08:47 PM)Gordon Wrote:  Well, I was thinking the same thing. I mean, I believe God is monistic in nature, so I don't even know if it's appropriate to talk about the existence of God.

Well, that just makes it too easy, doesn't it?

Quote:And, it would seem that if we died and went on to a spiritual plane of existence, the sense of God being there may even be less than it is now. It may be that the closer one gets to the Divine, the less apparent the Divine is.

You *know* you are making this shit up, right?

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 2 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
09-12-2013, 11:35 AM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2013 03:17 PM by Taqiyya Mockingbird.)
(09-12-2013 08:59 AM)cjlr Wrote:  "Evidence"

Yeah. Whaddaya got?

And I am still waiting for the evidence I asked gordon for to support claims of reincarnation. I'm betting I know what pile of shit he's going to pull it from.

Good thing I'm not holding my breath.

[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
09-12-2013, 02:27 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2013 03:15 PM by Slowminded.)
(09-12-2013 03:46 AM)Gordon Wrote:  No. If my brain generates thoughts, there's no realistic way, physically speaking, I could transmit those thoughts across vast distances.

I bet people said similar things before radio was invented.
You think it makes more sense that some god is conveying the thoughts?
Please do explain how do you think telepathy work, since it's you, not me , who even claims telepathy is real.

Quote:If that were the case, then telepathy would be like a physical sense and we'd use it all the time, like eyesight.

If telepathy exists maybe it's an evolutionary thing, a new sense people are developing, and perhaps some animals already have.
Makes a lot more sense the gawd.

Quote: You're giving the brain abilites no one believes it has. No one. You're not being intellectually honest.

Again , wtf are you talking about? You are claiming telepathy exists , not me.
You are giving the brain abilities that have not been proven by science. I don't believe in telepathy bro, I am just speculating on "if " it does exist , how it might work.

How am I intellectually dishonest? By not agreeing with you?

Quote: Yep. Telepathy has been demonstrated repeatedly in scientific experiments with animals and humans
No, it hasn't.

Quote:I'm not digging up the papers, books and links for you, because we both know you have no interest in that.

That's your hypothesis broseph , if you gonna defend your position , you should have that info on hand and ready to show.
And don't pretend it's some kind of a enormous task, if there were any scientific proof of what you're saying it would be just a quick google search to find it. Much less time that took you to write this post.

Quote:If precognition is true, and I personally know it is, there's no way the brain can do that; therefore, my mind cannot be a product of my brian. If it's not, then what is it a product of? It could only be the product of a greater mind. In fact, it would have to be the same substance, and that's what I call God.

[Image: 5c272.jpg]

C'mon man , you need to do better than that.

I hear you are into horoscopes, you wanna do mine?

You get bonus points if you can guess my sign of my picture.
(I'm desperate for entertainment )

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
09-12-2013, 03:13 PM
(09-12-2013 01:13 AM)Gordon Wrote:  That's all I really wanted to say in this thread. Sleepy

[Image: 43689955.jpg]

09-12-2013, 03:30 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2013 03:54 PM by Dark Light.)
Alright, I'm gonna bite. I read nine pages, so if this has been pointed out after that point, my apologies.

Ed,

I'm gonna help you out. Some people haven't forgiven or forgotten what you have have said/done in the past, which is their prerogative. Me? I'm a forgive and forget kind of guy. Here are some tips for you. 1.) Don't generalize. Avoid statements like "all atheists", "atheists believe", "theists think". 99.99% of the time when you use those types of phrases the following or proceeding is wrong. 2.) Don't make outrageous unsubstantiated claims without citing well-respected sources that support your claims, such as 'there is loads of evidence for reincarnation'. 3.) It is the opinion of many of us forum members that yes, in order to have a conversation speculating the existence or nature of God or gods you must first define the parameters. I'd suggest you read up on igtheism.

[+] 5 users Like Dark Light's post
09-12-2013, 03:46 PM
(09-12-2013 03:30 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  igtheism.

Thank you for that.

09-12-2013, 03:53 PM
(09-12-2013 03:30 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Alright, I'm gonna bite. I read nine pages, so if this has been pointed out after that point, my apologies.

Ed,

I'm gonna help you out. Some people haven't forgiven or forgotten what you have have said/done in the past, which is their prerogative. Me? I'm a forgive and forget kind of guy. Here are some tips for you. 1.) Don't generalize. Avoid statements like "all atheists", "atheists believe", "theists think". 99.99% of the time when you use those types of phrases the following or proceeding is wrong. 2.) Don't make outrageous unsubstantiated claims without citing well-respected sources that support you claims such as 'there is loads of evidence for reincarnation'. 3.) It is the opinion of many of us forum members that yes, in order to have a conversation speculating the existence or nature of God or gods you must first define the parameters. I'd suggest you read up on igtheism.
I am using my ipad at the moment. I poked the like button so hard it kinda hurt my finger.

Just sayin.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
09-12-2013, 03:53 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2013 03:56 PM by WeAreTheCosmos.)
(09-12-2013 01:13 AM)Gordon Wrote:  
(08-12-2013 07:01 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  So with the very first response, I both answered the question, and tried to avoid this waste of time redefining of atheism...

And yet, here we are, page 13..
Dodgy

Yeah, the audacity of people wanting to share "their" opinions after you've shared yours. How dare they? Ohmy

My original post wasn't opinion. It was an observation, a paraphrased definition of atheism, and the implications of having a clear and concise definition. My problem isn't with opinions or questions about the things people do or think. My problem is with the use of blanket statements that really have nothing to do with atheism, as defined by any dictionary. If you expand the meaning of something, to incorporate more and more things, eventually you end up with a vague and useless word, that means everything and nothing.

So go ahead and discuss whatever you want, but if you ask "Can atheists believe in ____?", for everything other than 'god' or 'gods', the answer is always YES.
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post