The New Age Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-12-2013, 04:03 PM
RE: The New Age Atheist
(09-12-2013 03:53 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(09-12-2013 03:30 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Alright, I'm gonna bite. I read nine pages, so if this has been pointed out after that point, my apologies.

Ed,

I'm gonna help you out. Some people haven't forgiven or forgotten what you have have said/done in the past, which is their prerogative. Me? I'm a forgive and forget kind of guy. Here are some tips for you. 1.) Don't generalize. Avoid statements like "all atheists", "atheists believe", "theists think". 99.99% of the time when you use those types of phrases the following or proceeding is wrong. 2.) Don't make outrageous unsubstantiated claims without citing well-respected sources that support you claims such as 'there is loads of evidence for reincarnation'. 3.) It is the opinion of many of us forum members that yes, in order to have a conversation speculating the existence or nature of God or gods you must first define the parameters. I'd suggest you read up on igtheism.
I am using my ipad at the moment. I poked the like button so hard it kinda hurt my finger.

Just sayin.

There's an undo button, but I doubt it can undo physical pain.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
09-12-2013, 04:19 PM
Is this better? Debating about the existence of God is both absurd and ascientific yet, still an inconvenient necessity when speaking in defense of reason and science. I've been an igtheist for -ever... I just ignore theism unless and until I'm asked to bitch talk about it. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
09-12-2013, 04:27 PM
Atheists can have woo too. China's population does not have your standard "God/s" per say but most of their population has their own superstition with demonds and evil spirits.

Personally though I'd like the definition of atheist to not just be a rejection of God/god/s but all superstition.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Brian37's post
09-12-2013, 05:07 PM
(09-12-2013 04:27 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  Atheists can have woo too. China's population does not have your standard "God/s" per say but most of their population has their own superstition with demonds and evil spirits.

Personally though I'd like the definition of atheist to not just be a rejection of God/god/s but all superstition.

It's called a skeptic.

09-12-2013, 11:24 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2013 11:28 PM by Gordon.)
(09-12-2013 11:35 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  And I am still waiting for the evidence I asked gordon for to support claims of reincarnation. I'm betting I know what pile of shit he's going to pull it from.

Good thing I'm not holding my breath.

And you shouldn't hold your breath. I've already posted a link to a great book on the subject. No one gives a shit. That's why I typically don't respond to requests to produce evidence. If you want the scientific papers on telepathy, training paramecea, or the latest in reincarnation research, you can Google it the same as me.

Most of you in here couldn't read a scientific paper if you even knew what one was, because most of you in here have never taken statistics or been to college. Granted, some of you have, but not most. So, there's little to be gained by doing your leg work for you and posting links to the .pdf files, abstracts, websites, books, etc. If you want to know, you can Google it just like I did.

Now, I will be out of here for a bit, because I have a lot going on. My daughter is coming from England this week, we have to get the house ready, and there are Christmas parties to attend. The time I do have really needs to be spent in my forum posting content and writing code for advertisements.

You can engage me there if you like, membership is very easy. Or you can wait and I'll be back after the first of the year.

I want to give a shout out to some old friends I haven't said "Hi" to yet:

KC. I always thought we were fighting friends and I still do, and for someone like me that's real friendship.

Stark Raving, I'm glad to see you're still posting, and I hope we can rekindle what we once had (absent me being the fickle asshole that I was)

Hughsie--I love ya man. I'm glad you're here and in charge. You make the forum what it is.

I will be making a small donation to TTA tonight, so hopefully, when I come back my name will be in red. It's a great froum. Thumbsup

Okay, so Merry Christmas to everyone. Keep Christ in your hearts, practice your psychic gifts, and have a happy New Year!

[Image: merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon.gif]
09-12-2013, 11:33 PM
(09-12-2013 11:24 PM)Gordon Wrote:  
(09-12-2013 11:35 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  And I am still waiting for the evidence I asked gordon for to support claims of reincarnation. I'm betting I know what pile of shit he's going to pull it from.

Good thing I'm not holding my breath.

And you shouldn't hold your breath. I've already posted a link to a great book on the subject.

WHAT book? You could have simply given the title instead of whining for several paragraphs.

Quote:No one gives a shit.

Might be a very good reason for that, especially if it is some of Ian Stevenson's horseshit.

Quote: That's why I typically don't respond to requests to produce evidence.

Because things go badly for you when people find out just what sort of bullshit you are basing your claims on? I can see why...

Quote: If you want the scientific papers on telepathy, training paramecea, or the latest in reincarnation research, you can Google it the same as me.

That's not how backing up claims with evidence works. YOU make a claim, YOU back it up with the evidence that leads YOU to make that claim.

Quote:Most of you in here couldn't read a scientific paper if you even knew what one was,

Oh, REALLY? I doubt that seriously.

Quote: because most of you in here have never taken statistics or been to college.

Oh, REALLY?Aand what do you base that assertion on?

Quote: Granted, some of you have, but not most. So, there's little to be gained by doing your leg work for you and posting links to the .pdf files, abstracts, websites, books, etc. If you want to know, you can Google it just like I did.

Again: that is not how backing up your claims works. If YOU had gone to college you would have known that.

Quote:Blah blah blah....Keep Jeebus in your hearts...

You realize that this is an atheist forum, right? Rolleyes

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
10-12-2013, 12:37 AM
Hmm... not sure if poe or just troll. Well, if none of those there is always purely delusionalBig Grin
I'm outta here, Have fun guys. Play nice! Big Grin
Or not. I like feeding trolls a little bit too but not so much so they keep coming to the doorstep.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
10-12-2013, 12:42 AM
Well, I thought there was a way to donate, but I can't find it in the forum section of the home page. Well, take care until the new year.
10-12-2013, 12:45 AM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2013 12:54 AM by Mr Woof.)
(08-12-2013 06:24 PM)Gordon Wrote:  i will try one last time in this thread. i will be as clear and direct as i can.

i define god as a mind which has always existed. it was neither created nor is it possible for it to ever end.

can an atheist believe in this type of mind?

excuse my writingbim using my phone.

"Mind" with no explanatory connection, or connotation, is to say nothing at all....
Unless you direct "mind" to some secular state/activity, relevant to our cognitive abilities your definition is a nonsense.
'Mind' suggests intelligence; intelligence in a vacuum, without extrapolation, is not a state that can be defined in any meaningful way;hence, what you refer to is a groundless pseudo definition leading nowhere..........
10-12-2013, 12:51 AM
WaitWHAT????

"Southern Psychic Seminary", http://www.psychicseminary.com/ ?????????

"Degrees" in "PSYCHIC ARTS"????????

FUCK, I feel kind of dirty for even reading a single one of your posts....

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop