The New Age Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-12-2013, 05:34 AM
RE: The New Age Atheist
(10-12-2013 06:45 PM)Luminon Wrote:  Scientists are very rigid and conservative and that allows them to go in deep research. They don't change a paradigm unless under very unscientific circumstances of a revolution.

I disagree. I don't think scientists are "rigid" just because they aren't focused enough on what interests you. Also I'm not sure what you mean when you refer to "revolution"?

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2013, 05:57 AM
I find it rather odd that you'd cite Einstein as your example. You know what he did? Postulated something completely beyond the then current paradigm. Then the scientific community confirmed it. The scientific method works.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
12-12-2013, 12:18 PM
Sabrina, DL, please let's take this topic to another thread. I answered you there.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...evolutions

For now, let's say I feel like a New Age atheist more and more. For me an "energetic imbalance" or "energy deficiency" is a very real thing (and it gives an extra twist on the post-Christmas party hangover). For me, a threat of getting punched in the aura by a hippie is not a laughing matter Smile It has to be a Tai Chi punch, of course Big Grin
12-12-2013, 12:21 PM
(12-12-2013 12:18 PM)Luminon Wrote:  For me, a threat of getting punched in the aura by a hippie is not a laughing matter

nuff said punkin.

cheers

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
12-12-2013, 05:05 PM
(12-12-2013 12:21 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(12-12-2013 12:18 PM)Luminon Wrote:  For me, a threat of getting punched in the aura by a hippie is not a laughing matter

nuff said punkin.

cheers
It really is kinda funny. first step laugh it off. Second step confirm if remark is serious and if so, laugh even louder. You ever heard of yellow bamboo? Look it up you'll see what I meanTongue

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
12-12-2013, 05:51 PM
(12-12-2013 05:05 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  It really is kinda funny. first step laugh it off. Second step confirm if remark is serious and if so, laugh even louder. You ever heard of yellow bamboo? Look it up you'll see what I meanTongue
Well, I was mostly joking, two smillies are evidence of that, I thought. I think that being able to laugh at myself is a virtue, don't you think? Wink
I looked up YB and it seems the mechanics are a bit far-fetched. Stopping an attacker by "supernatural" means is like trying to stop a train by sending a letter to the railways while the train is already up & running at you.
From what I know about the energy mechanics, it's not a blunt instrument to fend off attackers. It's a very subtle instrument to manipulate your nerve and endocrine system and consciousness. Using it on other people, well, I've got little to no experience with that. I'm glad that I can feel at all that other people's energy even exists, not hoping to be stopped by it.

Yes, I saw some healing and other external applications, but mostly very obscure. The most visible physical manifestation I saw was turning a psi-wheel, I could control the direction of rotation and when to stop and start. But it was tiring and didn't work every day. (of course I covered my nose and mouth)
12-12-2013, 06:03 PM
(12-12-2013 05:51 PM)Luminon Wrote:  
(12-12-2013 05:05 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  It really is kinda funny. first step laugh it off. Second step confirm if remark is serious and if so, laugh even louder. You ever heard of yellow bamboo? Look it up you'll see what I meanTongue
Well, I was mostly joking, two smillies are evidence of that, I thought. I think that being able to laugh at myself is a virtue, don't you think? Wink
I looked up YB and it seems the mechanics are a bit far-fetched. Stopping an attacker by "supernatural" means is like trying to stop a train by sending a letter to the railways while the train is already up & running at you.
From what I know about the energy mechanics, it's not a blunt instrument to fend off attackers. It's a very subtle instrument to manipulate your nerve and endocrine system and consciousness. Using it on other people, well, I've got little to no experience with that. I'm glad that I can feel at all that other people's energy even exists, not hoping to be stopped by it.

Yes, I saw some healing and other external applications, but mostly very obscure. The most visible physical manifestation I saw was turning a psi-wheel, I could control the direction of rotation and when to stop and start. But it was tiring and didn't work every day. (of course I covered my nose and mouth)
Oh please don't, just don't. Psi-pog right? Ugh...that was back in my "soul searching" days. What I meant about yellow bamboo is that it only works on those who believe it does. Even if you think its not you moving the pin wheel could it be something else? Idk the fucking wind? Look at a candle, no incense look at the trail of smoke you might not feel wind but the smoke reacts to it. You can see it move. Can you perform your trick in a vacuum?

12-12-2013, 06:22 PM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2013 06:26 PM by cheapthrillseaker.)
Oooh the psi wheel!

I think the funnest person to watch to debunk things would have to be James Randi.

For the psi wheel, I was wondering - does it really have to do with your breath? How about heat from your hands? Consider

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
12-12-2013, 06:32 PM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2013 06:36 PM by Luminon.)
(12-12-2013 06:03 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Oh please don't, just don't. Psi-pog right? Ugh...that was back in my "soul searching" days. What I meant about yellow bamboo is that it only works on those who believe it does. Even if you think its not you moving the pin wheel could it be something else? Idk the fucking wind? Look at a candle, no incense look at the trail of smoke you might not feel wind but the smoke reacts to it. You can see it move. Can you perform your trick in a vacuum?
I don't have a vacuum. But firstly, any intrusion such as draft or heat would be random and secondly, if there was a draft in the room, a paper psi-wheel would start moving by itself when set up and left alone as well. I covered my mouth and nose to make sure my breath was not moving it.

It might be actually an electro-static charge generated by hands that turns the paper wheel, the trick is in alternating it, so that the wheel gathers a rotational momentum. If I did it the brute force way, the wheel would just turn like a compass as much as I moved my hands around, it didn't rotate. That would jibe with my hypothesis. Whatever this "energy" is, it seems to have a significant electro-static component.
12-12-2013, 06:34 PM
(12-12-2013 06:32 PM)Luminon Wrote:  
(12-12-2013 06:03 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Oh please don't, just don't. Psi-pog right? Ugh...that was back in my "soul searching" days. What I meant about yellow bamboo is that it only works on those who believe it does. Even if you think its not you moving the pin wheel could it be something else? Idk the fucking wind? Look at a candle, no incense look at the trail of smoke you might not feel wind but the smoke reacts to it. You can see it move. Can you perform your trick in a vacuum?
I don't have a vacuum. But firstly, any intrusion such as draft or heat would be random and secondly, if there was a draft in the room, a paper psi-wheel would start moving by itself when set up and left alone as well. I covered my mouth and nose to make sure my breath was not moving it.

It might be actually an electro-static charge generated by hands that turns the paper wheel, the trick is in alternating it, so that the wheel gathers a rotational momentum. That would jibe with my hypothesis. Whatever this "energy" is, it seems to have a significant electro-static component.
An overturned jar would do just fine.