The New Age Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-12-2013, 07:27 PM
RE: The New Age Atheist
(12-12-2013 05:51 PM)Luminon Wrote:  
(12-12-2013 05:05 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  It really is kinda funny. first step laugh it off. Second step confirm if remark is serious and if so, laugh even louder. You ever heard of yellow bamboo? Look it up you'll see what I meanTongue
Well, I was mostly joking, two smillies are evidence of that, I thought. I think that being able to laugh at myself is a virtue, don't you think? Wink
I looked up YB and it seems the mechanics are a bit far-fetched. Stopping an attacker by "supernatural" means is like trying to stop a train by sending a letter to the railways while the train is already up & running at you.
From what I know about the energy mechanics, it's not a blunt instrument to fend off attackers. It's a very subtle instrument to manipulate your nerve and endocrine system and consciousness. Using it on other people, well, I've got little to no experience with that. I'm glad that I can feel at all that other people's energy even exists, not hoping to be stopped by it.

Yes, I saw some healing and other external applications, but mostly very obscure. The most visible physical manifestation I saw was turning a psi-wheel, I could control the direction of rotation and when to stop and start. But it was tiring and didn't work every day. (of course I covered my nose and mouth)

Yes I very much appreciate people who can have a good laugh at themselves. I try to do that whenever possible. Never ever take ourselves TOO serious - right?

good show

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2013, 10:56 PM
(12-12-2013 12:18 PM)Luminon Wrote:  It has to be a Tai Chi punch, of course Big Grin

I might have some Chai Tea punch in a bowl here somewhere....

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 2 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
12-12-2013, 10:59 PM
(12-12-2013 10:56 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(12-12-2013 12:18 PM)Luminon Wrote:  It has to be a Tai Chi punch, of course Big Grin

I might have some Chai Tea punch in a bowl here somewhere....
lamest party ever...

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
12-12-2013, 11:11 PM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2013 11:22 PM by Taqiyya Mockingbird.)
(12-12-2013 10:59 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  
(12-12-2013 10:56 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  I might have some Chai Tea punch in a bowl here somewhere....
lamest party ever...

...well....ok.... if you say so.....

[Image: tim-blake.jpg]

Thumbsup

12-12-2013, 11:24 PM
(11-12-2013 10:31 AM)Luminon Wrote:  The vital point here is, that you have no right to say that. The proper kind of skepticism would be neutrality. Learn to say "I don't know."

I have every "right" to say that. Your subjective experiences have no evidentiary value.

Quote: No, it doesn't. If it did, I'd already find it.

No you wouldn't because you are partial and have a confirmation bias. You are convinced that your subjective experiences are real phenomena and you trawl the web looking for pseudoscientific explanations that confirm your bias.

Quote: Normal science just doesn't study biologic fields, at most it studies electric properties of proteins as such, not of living organisms.

Yes, shit like this.

Quote: So there's nothing that describes my experiences,

Yes there is: subjective, imagined, illusory.

Quote:Then there is some scientific research, which is clearly extra-paradigmatic and uses custom-made instruments to measure the things.

No, that is pseudoscience.

Quote: I'm not sure if these instruments make sense to anyone in the dominant paradigm.

Pseudodcientists instruments don't make sense to anyone. They are props like the Vega Machine.

Quote: After all, an instrument without theoretical background (or with a wildly different theoretical background) is just a box with a dial on it or a camera image with a bunch of color smears, even for a scientist.

The instruments that pseudoscientists use usually are just boxes with dials on them. No theoretical background can make a largely empty box containing a simple circuit do anything useful.

Quote: Well then, unless you can at least hypothetically consider that some people are able to tell whether they're dreaming or not, then you have a magical explanation that explains away everything that you don't like.

If you want to ignore the distinction between objective reality and subjective experience why not also treat the content of your dreams as real phenomena? If you dream that you can fly by flapping your arms then claim that a paradigm shift is required in physics to account for your "experience". Why not?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chippy's post
12-12-2013, 11:28 PM
(12-12-2013 11:11 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(12-12-2013 10:59 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  lamest party ever...

...well....ok.... if you say so.....

Thumbsup
Still lame, must be the only one just doesn't give a damn.Tongue

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
12-12-2013, 11:33 PM
(10-12-2013 06:45 PM)Luminon Wrote:  There is no observation without a theoretical framework, no conscious registering in human mind.

Completely 100% false. Your memories are created, categorized, and stored completely independently of a "theoretical framework". You organize and conflate your memories and experiences, and Neuro-science in the area is well developed. Your experiences even affect your epigenetics, and can be passed on to your off-spring.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epigenetics_in_psychology

(10-12-2013 06:45 PM)Luminon Wrote:  But even if we can make an observation, if it does not fit into the paradigm, nothing happens. There are always anomalies - we can always say it is a yet undiscovered part of the current paradigm. Even if it isn't, it would require such a make-over of the current paradigm, with so many projects going on, that it is just not worth of the effort. Scientists are very rigid and conservative and that allows them to go in deep research. They don't change a paradigm unless under very unscientific circumstances of a revolution.

Clearly you have no clue how scientists work. they hate each other and are very competitive. ANY chance to shit on each other, and prove each other wrong would make their day. You're just making up shit, and pulling it pout of your ass.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
12-12-2013, 11:39 PM
(12-12-2013 11:28 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  
(12-12-2013 11:11 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  ...well....ok.... if you say so.....

Thumbsup
Still lame, must be the only one just doesn't give a damn.Tongue

LOL, U know what those are, no...? Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
12-12-2013, 11:46 PM
(12-12-2013 11:39 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(12-12-2013 11:28 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Still lame, must be the only one just doesn't give a damn.Tongue

LOL, U know what those are, no...? Tongue

They look like Japanese Maple... Or male Marijuana plants... which don't really get you high..
12-12-2013, 11:48 PM
(12-12-2013 06:22 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  For the psi wheel, I was wondering - does it really have to do with your breath? How about heat from your hands? Consider

Psi wheels spin because of convection, i.e. the heat from your hands.

That is why clowns like Luminion think they have telekinetic powers, "But I'm not using my breath, it is my electro-biologic-roast beef and mustard field making the wheel spin!".

Note from the video that mugs of hot water also have telekinetic powers and electro-biologic-ham and cheese on rye-fields like Luminion does.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user