The New Age Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-12-2013, 03:04 PM
RE: The New Age Atheist
(13-12-2013 01:40 PM)Luminon Wrote:  Your theory is interesting, but it remains to explain why can't I make the wheel rotate with warm hands alone. (I actually tried it right now and I still don't know what makes it rotate) No reliability at all. And why I observed selective rotation, stopping and change of direction.

Because there's lots of air in whatever room you're in, and it already is virtually guaranteed to exhibit quite the temperature variation.

The temperature differential from low-temperature skin to ambient air in the immediate vicinity may or may not be sufficient to do anything.

You say you can't make it rotate with warm hands alone. Um, what the hell else are you applying?

Even if it were real (IT'S NOT) it would be perhaps the single most underwhelming 'anything' ever. Barely enough to wobble a tiny-ass scrap of paper precisely balanced so that friction is almost negligible.

I mean, with that kind of power we could lift X-Wings out of swamps in no time!
... provided we had, say, the entire population of Greater Toronto bending their minds to the task. And we set aside a whole afternoon for it.

There's more useful energy in a fart.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like cjlr's post
13-12-2013, 05:22 PM
(13-12-2013 03:04 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(13-12-2013 01:40 PM)Luminon Wrote:  Your theory is interesting, but it remains to explain why can't I make the wheel rotate with warm hands alone. (I actually tried it right now and I still don't know what makes it rotate) No reliability at all. And why I observed selective rotation, stopping and change of direction.

Because there's lots of air in whatever room you're in, and it already is virtually guaranteed to exhibit quite the temperature variation.

The temperature differential from low-temperature skin to ambient air in the immediate vicinity may or may not be sufficient to do anything.

You say you can't make it rotate with warm hands alone. Um, what the hell else are you applying?

Even if it were real (IT'S NOT) it would be perhaps the single most underwhelming 'anything' ever. Barely enough to wobble a tiny-ass scrap of paper precisely balanced so that friction is almost negligible.

I mean, with that kind of power we could lift X-Wings out of swamps in no time!
... provided we had, say, the entire population of Greater Toronto bending their minds to the task. And we set aside a whole afternoon for it.

There's more useful energy in a fart.
Have you ever seen Looper? I bet it's going to be like thatTongue Just a bunch coin flipping lol And no lum..won't be like towards the end. silly.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
13-12-2013, 07:04 PM
(12-12-2013 11:24 PM)Chippy Wrote:  I have every "right" to say that. Your subjective experiences have no evidentiary value.
My subjective experiences need to be studied qualitatively to generate a theory through inductive reasoning. Inductive reasoning does not need to be evidentiary, when the result is not confirmed, it does not mean it's false. When we have a theory, then we can test it deductively, which is what you know as "debunking".
It's a problem that most skeptics do not know, understand or approve of qualitative research, inductive reasoning and theory formulation as its final result.

(12-12-2013 11:24 PM)Chippy Wrote:  No you wouldn't because you are partial and have a confirmation bias. You are convinced that your subjective experiences are real phenomena and you trawl the web looking for pseudoscientific explanations that confirm your bias.
...and why would I do that? To uphold my belief? Sorry, I don't have beliefs, I have preliminary conclusions. I form them based on sensory observations, which are value-neutral and undeniable.

(12-12-2013 11:24 PM)Chippy Wrote:  Yes there is: subjective, imagined, illusory.
The sad thing is, with most of New Age people you'd be right. But I am a disciplined self-observer.
I have excluded the subjective, many other people during history independently made similar or identical observations.
Imagined? Nope, that would imply intent, desire or fear. I made observations in the age of 4 years, not knowing what it is.
Illusory? Nope, illusions change a lot and are unreliable. My perception worked all my life without fault. It must be something hard-wired in sensory integration highway of the brain stem.

Quote:Pseudodcientists instruments don't make sense to anyone. They are props like the Vega Machine.
Have you tried such a machine personally? I did and it was remarkable. It worked. I could explain the function theoretically, but not within your paradigm. I can recommend you the company that arranged the test. The test itself costed 3 dollars.
When trying out such things (curiosity, man! Research in terrain!), the rule of a thumb is, expensive things are fake. Expensive services mean that whoever it is, he's in for the money.

Quote:The instruments that pseudoscientists use usually are just boxes with dials on them. No theoretical background can make a largely empty box containing a simple circuit do anything useful.
Yeah, I know the scandal when U.S. army bought such empty boxes for the purpose of bomb detection. Yeah, we have to watch out for expensive deals, as I said, that's the rule of a thumb. And with government money it's doubly so.

Quote:If you want to ignore the distinction between objective reality and subjective experience why not also treat the content of your dreams as real phenomena? If you dream that you can fly by flapping your arms then claim that a paradigm shift is required in physics to account for your "experience". Why not?
Content of dreams? Dreams are already scientifically well researched. There's no work left for me in there. And I'm not very good at remembering dreams anyway.
13-12-2013, 07:51 PM
(13-12-2013 09:59 AM)Gordon Wrote:  
(13-12-2013 09:43 AM)Chas Wrote:  And it has become clear that you lack the courage to face the fact that people need to make their own meaning since none is given to us.
You continue to sit at the kiddie table while the adults feast on the richness of existence.

Richness of existence? What are you talking about? You're implying that something gives existence its "richness" that you are hereby feasting on.

He is implying no such thing. Existence has richness all on its own. You are just too stupid and brainwashed to see.

Quote:If existence only has richness that you pretend it has, then it really doesn't have richness at all, and you are feasting on delusions.

That's fucking stupid.

Quote: If it has richness in itself, then a mind must have started "existence" (at least in the physical sense of the word) in order to give it richness, which is a mental quality.

That's fucking stupid. You can't think your way out of a fucking paper bag.

Quote:So, either you're a lunatic or God exists. And I'm just using your own argument.

That's fucking stupid. You couldn't argue your way out of a fucking paper bag, either.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
13-12-2013, 07:59 PM
(13-12-2013 10:13 AM)Gordon Wrote:  
(13-12-2013 09:45 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  You do realize that atheism isn't a philosophy, right?

Sure it is. It's not a rock, or a coffee cup, or a computer. It's a system of belief. That's a philosophy.

No, it's not a system of belief. It is simply a rejection of your fucking fairy tales.

Quote:You want to believe atheism is synonymous with a neurological mental state of not believing dieties exist.

Neurological mental state? That's stupid.

Quote: But you only want that so you can avoid defending your stance.
Atheism is not a stance. It is a rejection of your stance.

Quote:Why? Because there is no coherent atheist argument. And you know it.

There most certainly is: You haven't, and can't provide evidence that your scary-fairy exists. End of debate.

Quote:For there to be laws at all which govern how the universe unfolded, there had to be a mind that created those laws.

Laws? Strawman much? Who said there are laws?

Quote:That primordial mind we call God. We may not understand what God is. I don't. We may not understand how God creates, but for anything to exist in any coherent fashion requires design, design requires mental activity.

Bullshit.

Quote:Atheism is just stunted intellectualism.

Theism is just stunted.

Quote: It's putting your head in the sand and ignoring what's right in front of you.

What's is in front of you ,that you continually ignore, is that you don't have a shred of evidence to back your claim of the supposed existence of your Scary Fairy.

Quote: And because this makes you a minority in a world you really don't like very much, it allows you to feel superior to that world.

Wed like this world a great deal. You are question-begging and erecting a strawman.

Quote: And that's how you prop up your self-esteem.
Consider

That's stupid. And you can't read our minds, no matter how much you delude yourself.

13-12-2013, 08:04 PM
What part of starving troll do you guys not understand? He's just gonna come back scratching at the door if you keep leaving him troll treatsTongue Oh and please be careful of bridges, not all the goats made it..the ones they don't tell you about.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
13-12-2013, 08:11 PM (This post was last modified: 13-12-2013 08:46 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(13-12-2013 07:04 PM)Luminon Wrote:  I have preliminary conclusions. I form them based on sensory observations, which are value-neutral and undeniable.

Your senses INTERPRET input. There is no way in hell they are "value neutral".
All observers say they are "disciplined self-observers". It's impossible objectively to "observe" your experiences. They are by definition NOT objective. You are not "observing". You are interpreting experiences. That is in no way objective.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
13-12-2013, 08:12 PM
(13-12-2013 09:59 AM)Gordon Wrote:  Richness of existence? What are you talking about? You're implying that something gives existence its "richness" that you are hereby feasting on.

So the natural world and the artifacts that have been produced (stories, poems, films, paintings, music, architecture, cuisine, scientific knowledge etc.) isn't enough for you? The world is mundane if there is no Harry Potter magic?

Quote:If existence only has richness that you pretend it has, then it really doesn't have richness at all, and you are feasting on delusions. If it has richness in itself, then a mind must have started "existence" (at least in the physical sense of the word) in order to give it richness, which is a mental quality.

The only person that is pretending here is you. The natural world is so "rich" that you can devote an entire lifetime to researching and understanding a single species of bacterium. "Richness" isn't a mental quality; in relation to the natural world it alludes to its complexity, intricacy and novel solution to problems. In relation to culture it alludes to all of the good things humans have produced.

Quote:So, either you're a lunatic or God exists. And I'm just using your own argument.
[Image: 40%20(11).gif]

Chas is a crotchety old man that is prone to hyperbole but I don't think he's a "lunatic"; I think his head is screwed on properly, on the other hand you appear to be self-deluded. You have blurred the line between how you would like the universe to be and how it appears to be.

Your devotion to theism and psi bullshit appears to be purely therapeutic.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chippy's post
13-12-2013, 08:32 PM
(13-12-2013 08:12 PM)Chippy Wrote:  Chas is a crotchety old man that is prone to hyperbole

[Image: Irony.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
13-12-2013, 08:37 PM
(13-12-2013 08:04 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  What part of starving troll do you guys not understand? He's just gonna come back scratching at the door if you keep leaving him troll treatsTongue Oh and please be careful of bridges, not all the goats made it..the ones they don't tell you about.

Yabut what'll people do if they stop, huh?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.