The New Age Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-12-2013, 12:42 PM
RE: The New Age Atheist
Not your humble opinion, your pathetic opinion.

You left out the actual definition of atheism. You are arrogantly ignorant - you haven't changed in the least. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
07-12-2013, 12:54 PM
(07-12-2013 12:05 PM)Gordon Wrote:  Yes, there is a kind of atheism a person can have and still believe in spirits.

But that's not the kind of atheism slithering around this forum.

Here is where things go wrong, there aren't different kinds of atheism. There are different kinds of people who are atheists.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Smercury44's post
07-12-2013, 01:04 PM
(06-12-2013 08:16 PM)Gordon Wrote:  There was this girl...woman...what have you. She claimed to believe in spirits, ghosts, and contacting the dead, but claimed she was an atheist and that she didn't believe God exists.

So, I simply asked a question... (what?)

I asked her how she could believe in the immortal soul and still be an atheist? Aren't you supposed to believe it's all just dirt to dirt?

I ended up banning her. [Image: 40%20(11).gif]

No, no, no, it had nothing to do with her being an atheist. She went onto Facebook and said I called her a name, and I did no such thing. I told her I'd gladly reinstate her if she could just link to where I called her the name. Of course, she couldn't do that.

So what do you think about what she said? Is there any room for a New Age Atheist? [Image: aa4%20(2).gif]

I might as well back up my statement with pics - or it didn't happen, you know?

[Image: LifeOfBrian_zps8baef938.jpg]

I won't even ask for proof of the user Ladylane - you have two accounts that are yours on the site already, the Admin (love the avatar) and the regular member Gordon. I think I might be having deja vu... the username sound eerily similar to someone I know on this forum... Consider Who has confirmed she has never visited your page. Dodgy

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 2 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
07-12-2013, 01:14 PM
(07-12-2013 11:53 AM)Gordon Wrote:  
(07-12-2013 09:19 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Atheism is Non-belief - indicating no acceptance of the supernatural or tendencies, attachments, attributes thereof.

Well, that's what it used to be. Not two years ago, no one would have said an atheist can believe in spiritual enteties and still be an atheist. Richard Dawkins must have given the okay on it or something, because I'm seeing it more and more.
They have always had to ignore too many things in the world in order to be atheists.

WTF does that mean???

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
07-12-2013, 01:18 PM
I fail to see how atheism and believing in ghosts are correlated.

I understand how you think they would be, though. It's hard to word this without strawmanning, but atheists are atheists because they don't see the reason or logic behind any religious belief. But the idea of ghosts have just as much reason or logic behind it that the idea of God does.

But I don't think it's necessary that every atheist dismiss every single supernatural claim to exist. They don't have to be related.
07-12-2013, 01:21 PM
(07-12-2013 01:18 PM)Fat Mac Wrote:  I fail to see how atheism and believing in ghosts are correlated.

I understand how you think they would be, though. It's hard to word this without strawmanning, but atheists are atheists because they don't see the reason or logic behind any religious belief. But the idea of ghosts have just as much reason or logic behind it that the idea of God does.

But I don't think it's necessary that every atheist dismiss every single supernatural claim to exist. They don't have to be related.

Dude..............

*sigh*
Ok - now I'm just tired. I've already typed what I could to be helpful.

(goes off looking for chocolate)

[+] 2 users Like WitchSabrina's post
07-12-2013, 01:22 PM
(07-12-2013 01:14 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(07-12-2013 11:53 AM)Gordon Wrote:  Well, that's what it used to be. Not two years ago, no one would have said an atheist can believe in spiritual enteties and still be an atheist. Richard Dawkins must have given the okay on it or something, because I'm seeing it more and more.
They have always had to ignore too many things in the world in order to be atheists.

WTF does that mean???

Like the last time he was here, stuff like that always popped up. To me it's sort of a mix of "I'm going to show my passive aggressiveness through these thinly veiled button pushers because I have nothing better to do then use it to make myself feel good" and a personality disorder behavior that he lets roam free.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
07-12-2013, 01:31 PM
(07-12-2013 01:22 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(07-12-2013 01:14 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  WTF does that mean???

Like the last time he was here, stuff like that always popped up. To me it's sort of a mix of "I'm going to show my passive aggressiveness through these thinly veiled button pushers because I have nothing better to do then use it to make myself feel good" and a personality disorder behavior that he lets roam free.

Thanks for the heads up.
I really did manage to answer the atheism + supernatural belief = a no-go.
But......... I'm not sure they've read and absorbed what I offered as explanation.
It's really pretty straight forward is it not?

Either you leave the door open for the supernatural (and all that might entail) --- therefore leaving the door open for God, A god, a Goddess, the tooth fairy, easter bunny etc.......

or

You don't.

And if you fall into the "No, I don't" then you're atheist.
There's just no way to fuck that up - is there?

Believe me if ANYone wanted to embrace the supernatural possibility yet exclude a deity it would be ME. But it simply does not work.
Opening the door to belief in supernatural will drag the possibility of god. Done.
That's gone with a *D*.

07-12-2013, 01:43 PM
(07-12-2013 01:31 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Either you leave the door open for the supernatural (and all that might entail) --- therefore leaving the door open for God, A god, a Goddess, the tooth fairy, easter bunny etc.......
or
You don't.

There's just no way to fuck that up - is there?

Well... yea, there is a way to fuck that up. His name is Ego®... and he is indeed back... completely unchanged and incapable of understanding that people see his passive aggressive attempts to manipulate brought on by his need to feel superior because of his inferiority complex and insecurities that theism has left him with.

Oh well... so much for "faith" in a person's ability to take responsibility for one's self. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
07-12-2013, 01:45 PM
(07-12-2013 01:21 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(07-12-2013 01:18 PM)Fat Mac Wrote:  I fail to see how atheism and believing in ghosts are correlated.

Dude..............

*sigh*
Ok - now I'm just tired. I've already typed what I could to be helpful.

(goes off looking for chocolate)

I read through the thread and I read your posts, and I don't see your point. Atheism is nothing but a disbelief in a god, why shouldn't an atheist be able to believe in a soul, ghosts, etc? It doesn't make sense how not believing in a god would come with the inability to believe in anything else in the area.

WitchSabrina Wrote:Either you leave the door open for the supernatural (and all that might entail) --- therefore leaving the door open for God, A god, a Goddess, the tooth fairy, easter bunny etc.......

or

You don't.

But the way you word it makes it much more black and white than it actually is. What your reason behind it? I know in your head you think it's a simple truth, and you can't grasp why anybody could even disagree. But I'm disagreeing, and I'm curious as to how ghosts and God are related, and how they have to be behind the same door. And you have to accept both or neither. I'm just not getting that reasoning.
[+] 2 users Like Fat Mac's post