The New Age Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-12-2013, 05:16 PM
RE: The New Age Atheist
Gordon gets the terms atheist and skeptic mixed up, they're not always the same.

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2013, 05:18 PM
(07-12-2013 05:02 PM)Gordon Wrote:  I can't help wonder if you finished high school. Drinking Beverage

Ah, insult number one. I knew you wouldn't be able to help yourself. Undecided

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
07-12-2013, 05:23 PM
(07-12-2013 04:57 PM)Gordon Wrote:  
(07-12-2013 01:14 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  WTF does that mean???

It means that there's all kinds of evidence for the supernatural, but atheists simply ignore it out of hand. That's the irrationality of atheism. Given the evidence for things such as reincarnation, telepathy, and precognition, the only coherent stance one can take is that of an agnostic. Atheism is as irrational as most of the religions it is opposed to. Cool

(07-12-2013 04:47 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Agreed, atheism is a lack of beleif in gods/deities. The same gods/deities that the religious and theists claim is real.

So, you disbelieve because a religious person believes it? That's your grounds? Really?

Quote:As for needing to define the term "god", are there any definitions of god you think atheists would believe? I don't think so, making the need to define it unnecessary.

So you are simply close-minded to the very notion. So much so that you don't even need to define what you say you don't believe in.

Fine, but don't ask me to think of you as a rational individual. Shoot, if we were to really hammer it out, I'm probably more of an atheist than you are, because I define and know what exactly God has to be from a Christian perspective, and what God can't possibly be, and so I know that the the Roman Christian type of God doesn't exist. That's probably the God you and I are talking about--but I know what I'm talking about. I know why I don't believe in that God. I can fully state what type of God I would believe in, and I can fully detail what I can and can't know about that God.

The God you are probably an atheist over (Probably the Jewish, Muslim, and Christian versions of God), I am probably a stronger atheist than you. I could make your arguments probably better than you could.

As for beating up on the religions themselves, well, that's like making fun of retarded people. Eventually you start to look retarded yourself.

...not saying you're retarded. No

I don't have discussions with people who put words in my mouth, as it leaves no room for a real discussion. Not believing in a god that others assert as real, does not mean that is my reason for not believing. Bye
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
07-12-2013, 05:37 PM
(07-12-2013 04:57 PM)Gordon Wrote:  
(07-12-2013 01:14 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  WTF does that mean???

It means that there's all kinds of evidence for the supernatural, but atheists simply ignore it out of hand. That's the irrationality of atheism. Given the evidence for things such as reincarnation, telepathy, and precognition, the only coherent stance one can take is that of an agnostic. Atheism is as irrational as most of the religions it is opposed to. Cool

(07-12-2013 04:47 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Agreed, atheism is a lack of beleif in gods/deities. The same gods/deities that the religious and theists claim is real.

So, you disbelieve because a religious person believes it? That's your grounds? Really?

Quote:As for needing to define the term "god", are there any definitions of god you think atheists would believe? I don't think so, making the need to define it unnecessary.

So you are simply close-minded to the very notion. So much so that you don't even need to define what you say you don't believe in.

Fine, but don't ask me to think of you as a rational individual. Shoot, if we were to really hammer it out, I'm probably more of an atheist than you are, because I define and know what exactly God has to be from a Christian perspective, and what God can't possibly be, and so I know that the the Roman Christian type of God doesn't exist. That's probably the God you and I are talking about--but I know what I'm talking about. I know why I don't believe in that God. I can fully state what type of God I would believe in, and I can fully detail what I can and can't know about that God.

The God you are probably an atheist over (Probably the Jewish, Muslim, and Christian versions of God), I am probably a stronger atheist than you. I could make your arguments probably better than you could.

As for beating up on the religions themselves, well, that's like making fun of retarded people. Eventually you start to look retarded yourself.

What part of 'don't believe in any gods' don't you understand? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
07-12-2013, 07:05 PM
(07-12-2013 05:23 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  
(07-12-2013 04:57 PM)Gordon Wrote:  It means that there's all kinds of evidence for the supernatural, but atheists simply ignore it out of hand. That's the irrationality of atheism. Given the evidence for things such as reincarnation, telepathy, and precognition, the only coherent stance one can take is that of an agnostic. Atheism is as irrational as most of the religions it is opposed to. Cool

I don't have discussions with people who put words in my mouth, as it leaves no room for a real discussion. Not believing in a god that others assert as real, does not mean that is my reason for not believing. Bye

While reincarnation, Kirlian photography, spiritism, Ouija boards and a whole lot of New Age paraphernalia can be of interest, such activities are also breeding grounds for all manner of charlatans,crazy cults, and insanity..
Conversely scientism (so called) in negating everything contrary to scientific reasoning may push secularity a tad too far.......
07-12-2013, 07:50 PM

[+] 2 users Like joben1's post
07-12-2013, 07:57 PM
(06-12-2013 10:51 PM)djkamilo Wrote:  
(06-12-2013 10:44 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  You can totally believe in ghosts, spirits, reincarnation, big foot, and Obama birth certificate fraud and still be an atheist.

Hilarious that the Obama birth certificate fraud is listed with the other crazy stuff
I think I just pee'd a little.
Laughat

"Other" being the operative word....Angel

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
07-12-2013, 08:02 PM
(06-12-2013 11:42 PM)Gordon Wrote:  There's only one problem with that. Let's say reincarnation is true (and there is quite a bit of evidence for it).

No, there is not. There is ZERO evidence for it.

Quote:That, my friend, is the definition of a monistic concept of God.

Nice try... :rolleyes;

Quote:You simply cannot be an atheist and believe in a disembodied mind.

As I said, there are plenty of so-called "Buddhists" who believe in a disembodied mind and do not believe in a creator deity. Thus: Atheists.

Quote: These days you probably want that compromise, given all the evidence for reincarnation, telepathy, and precognition, but it doesn't work.

There is no such evidence.

Quote:My point is this: Atheism rests on a foundation of wet sand no different than Roman Christianity.

Nice try. Bullshit.

07-12-2013, 08:06 PM
(07-12-2013 11:53 AM)Gordon Wrote:  But I've never found atheists to be particularly coherent in their beliefs. They have always had to ignore too many things in the world in order to be atheists. So if they want to have their cake and eat it, too. Apparently they will. It's silly. But then saying there is no god is kind of silly, too.

Utter BOLLOCKS.

07-12-2013, 08:12 PM
(07-12-2013 04:34 PM)Gordon Wrote:  
(07-12-2013 12:54 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Here is where things go wrong, there aren't different kinds of atheism. There are different kinds of people who are atheists.

That makes sense, I suppose. But what then is the official stand?

Atheist believe have no belief that God exists?

That "definition" presumes that the mythical figure in question actually exists.

Go back and try again.