The New Age Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2013, 04:45 AM
RE: The New Age Atheist
The planets have aligned. Their formation is spitting out more and more atheists.

Everything is how it should be Angel

(or something)

You said in a post Ed that there is a lot of evidence for re-incarnation. Care to post some of it?

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
08-12-2013, 06:03 AM
(08-12-2013 01:15 AM)Gordon Wrote:  
(07-12-2013 05:18 PM)Dom Wrote:  Ah, insult number one. I knew you wouldn't be able to help yourself. Undecided

The guy insulted me first. Drinking Beverage

How old are you again?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
08-12-2013, 06:17 AM
(08-12-2013 06:03 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(08-12-2013 01:15 AM)Gordon Wrote:  The guy insulted me first. Drinking Beverage

How old are you again?

Now, now Dom.

Physical age does not necessarily beget mental maturity.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
08-12-2013, 06:45 AM
(08-12-2013 04:24 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  "Monism" is just another word for pantheism, but he can't explain how or why it's any different, but he will certainly keep asserting is it isn't the same.

Ah, BB. It's been too long. How the hell are ya?

Monism means that all things derive from the substance of God. Pantheism means that the universe is God. It's a subtle difference but it makes all the difference in the world in terms of what is really real. Smartass
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-12-2013, 06:48 AM
(08-12-2013 04:45 AM)bemore Wrote:  You said in a post Ed that there is a lot of evidence for re-incarnation. Care to post some of it?

If I thought it would make any difference I would, but since it wouldn't, you can search for it yourself just as I did.

Having said that, I do recommend the book "Life before Life" by Dr. Jim Tucker. Here's the Amazon link. It's a good book to start off your search for the evidence. Yes

http://www.amazon.com/Life-Before-Childr...efore+life
08-12-2013, 08:23 AM
(08-12-2013 06:48 AM)Gordon Wrote:  
(08-12-2013 04:45 AM)bemore Wrote:  You said in a post Ed that there is a lot of evidence for re-incarnation. Care to post some of it?

If I thought it would make any difference I would, but since it wouldn't, you can search for it yourself just as I did.

Having said that, I do recommend the book "Life before Life" by Dr. Jim Tucker. Here's the Amazon link. It's a good book to start off your search for the evidence. Yes

http://www.amazon.com/Life-Before-Childr...efore+life

You are a bitter disappointment, I guess with people talking about you so much I expected too much from you.
But you come up with this lame ass stupid thread, a pile of unsupported claims , anecdotes , and with no debating skills. Dodgy

You made me miss I&I Weeping

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 5 users Like Slowminded's post
08-12-2013, 08:27 AM
[Image: tumblr_m4bjsgp3hH1qbmtxe.gif]

What a side stepper you are, Gordy. Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
08-12-2013, 08:35 AM
(08-12-2013 02:34 AM)Gordon Wrote:  Everyone I have met seems to think they are "pretty good people." And yet nothing could be further from the truth.

That's how you justify being an asshole - you project your flaws on everyone else.

Guess what - there really are some pretty good people in the world. You will likely never recognize them. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
08-12-2013, 09:12 AM
This thread is so frickin' hilarious.
One woologist complaining about woo practitioners.
Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
08-12-2013, 10:24 AM
(07-12-2013 03:17 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(07-12-2013 01:45 PM)Fat Mac Wrote:  I read through the thread and I read your posts, and I don't see your point. Atheism is nothing but a disbelief in a god, why shouldn't an atheist be able to believe in a soul, ghosts, etc? It doesn't make sense how not believing in a god would come with the inability to believe in anything else in the area.

But the way you word it makes it much more black and white than it actually is. What your reason behind it? I know in your head you think it's a simple truth, and you can't grasp why anybody could even disagree. But I'm disagreeing, and I'm curious as to how ghosts and God are related, and how they have to be behind the same door. And you have to accept both or neither. I'm just not getting that reasoning.

""Ghosts, hon, by definition is the *spirit* now in another plane of existence. So....things like 'spirit' and 'planes of existence' are getting you dangerously close to admitting to the same factors which make up a god. Just like tarot cards, crystal balls, most anything in the Magic department (ask me- I'm an expert).
Atheism is Non-belief - indicating no acceptance of the supernatural or tendencies, attachments, attributes thereof. It's one of those places, Gordon, where you don't get to have your cake and eat it to. The two things really don't jive.

Believe me - I've tried to marry the two concepts. They just do not jive.""

just let it sink in...............
either you're going with (fill-in-the-blank) supernatural (whatever)
[ie therefore allowing for deity] OR

you're not.

You can't have it both ways. It's not fair. You cannot say "Yes" to ghosts and "No" to God.

let it sink in.................and you'll understand what I'm driving at.

I mean LOL You technically certainly **could** say "yes I believe in ghosts" but "No I don't believe in god" but no one should take you seriously.

You're just restating the very thing that I'm not understanding.

I fail to see how believing in God and believing in ghosts and/or some sort of form of afterlife are related. Yes, I understand that they both fall under the "supernatural" category, but why must they be related beyond that?

Hypothetically speaking, let's say I think all the religions we know are wrong, so I'm an atheist. But I research heavily into ghosts and decide there's enough evidence through EVPs and all of that to convince me that ghosts exist. Hell, maybe i even had an experience with them myself, who knows. But just because I don't think Yahweh, Allah, or Zeus exist does not stop be from being convinced by what I think to be hard evidence, to also believe that ghosts are real.

The concept may pose as ridiculous for you, but I see no reason why it wouldn't be conceivable. In your mind, you put all these concepts in one basket and you say it's preposterous that you could only take one thing out of that basket. Which I fully understand. But it's really personal opinion, and I don't think it's that preposterous.