The "New" Church, signs they are worried.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-06-2016, 08:07 PM
RE: The "New" Church, signs they are worried.
(24-06-2016 07:59 PM)Foxen Wrote:  
(24-06-2016 07:54 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  Yep, I get to say it's a fugly building if I want. Cool

Yet that is not the point.

It's a fugly building, but you are dismissing the very real fact that he made a statement of how religion basically thrives on wasting money on expensive and impressive architecture.

Which they do. Poor pastor probably didn't have enough pull to get a fancier church. Somehow I doubt it was because of modesty.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
24-06-2016, 08:15 PM
I kinda miss the days when churches looked like churches, now they can be in any building. There is one near where I live called Impact, the outside is very non-descript, part of a plaza area and it has big uppercase purple letters.

I can't find a picture but I swear the first few times we drove past it I thought it was a gym but then they changed the sign to say 'IMPACT-COMMUNITY CHURCH" and I was like "Huh? Did they seriously just change that gym to a church and keep the old name?" But nope, it was always a church, in a big square building, like where's the steeple? Ugh, these kids these days, they don't know how to make a church.

But I'm just glad I already have another gym I go to, would've been embarrassing walking in expecting to see treadmills and such asking about membership fees.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like SitaSky's post
24-06-2016, 08:19 PM
Biblically, the building is just that.

I understand that communities rise.

According to the bible, however, God is found anywhere.

The building itself is not the sole place where God can be found. Rather, the building is further means of indoctrination.
24-06-2016, 08:23 PM
(24-06-2016 08:19 PM)Foxen Wrote:  Biblically, the building is just that.

I understand that communities rise.

According to the bible, however, God is found anywhere.

The building itself is not the sole place where God can be found. Rather, the building is further means of indoctrination.

Yeahhh, that's true.... but they'd really prefer it if you show up.

<cough>

[Image: collection-plate.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like Dark Wanderer's post
24-06-2016, 08:27 PM
(24-06-2016 08:15 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  I kinda miss the days when churches looked like churches

Yes, because certainly the money couldn't have been spent on anything better than a dumb religious building.
24-06-2016, 08:27 PM
Back where I did my undergrad, there was a church much like that one but larger in scale. It was a former factory complex; they have a nice sanctuary as far as Protestants go. And a huge area they tried to make 'hip' to use for youth worship. But will give them this over that church, at least they added a steeple...

[Image: 552DHLG.png]

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
24-06-2016, 08:32 PM
(24-06-2016 08:27 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Back where I did my undergrad, there was a church much like that one but larger in scale. It was a former factory complex; they have a nice sanctuary as far as Protestants go. And a huge area they tried to make 'hip' to use for youth worship. But will give them this over that church, at least they added a steeple...

[Image: 552DHLG.png]

Funny that churches use a steeple, since it's a classic phallic symbol. Laugh out load

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
24-06-2016, 08:36 PM
Anyone else do this as a kid?

[Image: church_steeple.jpg]

Here's the church.
Here's the steeple.
Open the door, here's all the people.
[+] 11 users Like Dark Wanderer's post
24-06-2016, 08:56 PM
If it doesn't have a steeple how's it supposed to attract lightning?

Never fear! Mormons to the rescue!
[Image: Washington_D.C._Temple_At_Dusk.jpg]

Maybe it's just them getting hopeful with their batshit crazy religion but it always look to me like that thing's about ten seconds from launch.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 7 users Like Paleophyte's post
24-06-2016, 09:03 PM
That's gotta be in Oklahoma lol
[+] 2 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post