The "New" Church, signs they are worried.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-06-2016, 09:40 PM
RE: The "New" Church, signs they are worried.
(26-06-2016 09:29 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(26-06-2016 09:09 PM)Dom Wrote:  Inside, the crosses and figures are all modern metal work. At least they were back then.

That incense made me sick and I fainted. Woke up in the sacristy or whatever it's called, where the priest keeps the wine. The priest gave me a shot of Vodka and sent me on my merry way. I was 8 years old.

Dafuq? Why would vodka be in the building?!? Rhetorical question.

The church I posted has a rectory on the opposite end for the priests to live in...with staff of course. The convent is just across the alley. My dad also attended that church and the Catholic school there (like there was a choice...no public school available) He said that when he and his friends would get to school early in the morning or to basketball practice on Saturday mornings, there would be empty liquor bottles on the lawn of the rectory...as though they had been tossed out the window after emptied. He figured that the priests did that so it would appear that teenagers did it...they didn't want their evidence to turn up in the trash for the staff/nuns to find.

Pretty sure that it's common for priests to have more than sacramental wine on hand.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-06-2016, 06:34 AM
(26-06-2016 09:40 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(26-06-2016 09:29 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Dafuq? Why would vodka be in the building?!? Rhetorical question.

The church I posted has a rectory on the opposite end for the priests to live in...with staff of course. The convent is just across the alley. My dad also attended that church and the Catholic school there (like there was a choice...no public school available) He said that when he and his friends would get to school early in the morning or to basketball practice on Saturday mornings, there would be empty liquor bottles on the lawn of the rectory...as though they had been tossed out the window after emptied. He figured that the priests did that so it would appear that teenagers did it...they didn't want their evidence to turn up in the trash for the staff/nuns to find.

Pretty sure that it's common for priests to have more than sacramental wine on hand.

Vodka was a cure-all. If in doubt, down a Vodka. Kids got it when they had toothaches, wash out the tooth with it. It would have been there. The sacristy is a room in the church where all the magic happens - it has all these colorful clothes and stolas and the supplies. We had a separate rectory building too, and a library the church kept. It was the only place I could get books (other than school) unless I took a bus across town to the main library - an hour ride each way and I wasn't supposed to do it by myself but often did. I had long read all my dad's books, including Lady Chatterley, which was a scandalous, godless book. Tongue

Info on anything was almost impossible to come by when I was growing up. The church library had mostly religious stuff of course. But at least it had stuff to read. When my mom grew up, there was nothing at all.

It is because I read all that stuff, including the bible, that I deconverted when I was 10 and quit going to church. Never touched a religious book after that. At 10 I was allowed to travel by myself and started seriously going to the city library.

For someone who grew up like that, the interwebs are a wondrous thing. I still can get lost for days looking stuff up...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
27-06-2016, 06:45 AM
(27-06-2016 06:34 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(26-06-2016 09:40 PM)Anjele Wrote:  The church I posted has a rectory on the opposite end for the priests to live in...with staff of course. The convent is just across the alley. My dad also attended that church and the Catholic school there (like there was a choice...no public school available) He said that when he and his friends would get to school early in the morning or to basketball practice on Saturday mornings, there would be empty liquor bottles on the lawn of the rectory...as though they had been tossed out the window after emptied. He figured that the priests did that so it would appear that teenagers did it...they didn't want their evidence to turn up in the trash for the staff/nuns to find.

Vodka was a cure-all. If in doubt, down a Vodka. Kids got it when they had toothaches, wash out the tooth with it. It would have been there. The sacristy is a room in the church where all the magic happens - it has all these colorful clothes and stolas and the supplies. We had a separate rectory building too, and a library the church kept. It was the only place I could get books (other than school) unless I took a bus across town to the main library - an hour ride each way and I wasn't supposed to do it by myself but often did. I had long read all my dad's books, including Lady Chatterley, which was a scandalous, godless book. Tongue

Info on anything was almost impossible to come by when I was growing up. The church library had mostly religious stuff of course. But at least it had stuff to read. When my mom grew up, there was nothing at all.

It is because I read all that stuff, including the bible, that I deconverted when I was 10 and quit going to church. Never touched a religious book after that. At 10 I was allowed to travel by myself and started seriously going to the city library.

For someone who grew up like that, the interwebs are a wondrous thing. I still can get lost for days looking stuff up...

I love being able to look things up on the interwebs. As a kid the encyclopedias we had were college level because they were purchased when dad was in college. My favorite thing was when we got the yearbook filled with updates, which we did for many years. I often picked a subject and read about it with a dictionary close at hand. While I still love the feel of a real book in my hands the ability to pop a question into a browser and find information for days is really nice.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
27-06-2016, 08:30 AM (This post was last modified: 27-06-2016 08:33 AM by Shai Hulud.)
For those shocked extra booze would be in the Catholic churches...once in a Catholic student group, we were watching a horror film about demonic possession in one of the classrooms in the parish basement. The priest walks in, sees the students who are of age drinking, the ones underage aren't, and deadpans to the woman with the huge purse, "Why [name], I hope you have some hard cider in there for me too." "Here you go Father," she replied, handing him a bottle of alcoholic cider. At that point he sat down to drink and watch the rest of the movie with us.

And for "interesting" churches, a circular one built around the same time as that other circular one on the other page...I'll be standing in this at a friend's wedding in 13 months.
[Image: socKF0d.jpg]
A priest there once had an Evangelical visitor e-mail the Bishop about the "dragon" on the altar being "Satanic". That's not a dragon, it's a wave that is supposed to represent the trifecta of initiation Sacraments and contains over 700 different shades of color. Blue is for the waters of Baptism, the gold swirl there is the Tabernacle that holds the Eucharist, and the red is for the Holy Spirit and Confirmation.

Edit: I just realized this and other posts could make me appear to drink with all the priests. I swear it's only been two diocesan priests, one Salesian brother studying to be a priest, and one Franciscan brother studying to be a priest.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
27-06-2016, 10:29 AM
In the city where Mark Twain proclaimed you "couldn't throw a brick without breaking a church window", this church, like so many others, is for sale.

It's in a gorgeous neighbourhood, too.

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 1 user Likes Reducetarian's post
27-06-2016, 07:31 PM
(27-06-2016 10:29 AM)Reducetarian Wrote:  In the city where Mark Twain proclaimed you "couldn't throw a brick without breaking a church window", this church, like so many others, is for sale.

Beautiful. *shakes piggy bank....... Crickets* Don't guess I can afford that. Smile

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
28-06-2016, 03:12 AM
(27-06-2016 07:31 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(27-06-2016 10:29 AM)Reducetarian Wrote:  In the city where Mark Twain proclaimed you "couldn't throw a brick without breaking a church window", this church, like so many others, is for sale.

Beautiful. *shakes piggy bank....... Crickets* Don't guess I can afford that. Smile

Oh, I don't know; if the Canadian dollar keeps tanking, you might purchase it for a song Smile
'Course, you might have to outbid all the other Trump refugees, so there's that ...

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 1 user Likes Reducetarian's post
28-06-2016, 10:07 AM
(25-06-2016 08:03 AM)Anjele Wrote:  **The south is full of churches in metal buildings and other repurposed structures. There's one not far from me that used to be a feed store.**
Same thing happening here in Ohio. A lot of the little churches are closing up because they can't draw a crowd anymore. After a few little churches close up some new church in a barn or old factory shows up.

One of the pastors of the new church is a family friend and according to him he is lucky if the place is half full for a service.
28-06-2016, 10:31 AM
Never trust a guy who comes from a town that's got more churches than taverns..............

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
28-06-2016, 10:40 AM
(28-06-2016 10:31 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Never trust a guy who comes from a town that's got more churches than taverns..............

WC... is that you? O.O

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]