The New Year Starts with....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-01-2016, 11:39 AM
RE: The New Year Starts with....
The solution to the anti-engagement-ring-whatever-ist is to get one of those rings that's like a two-piece thing. My engagement ring was a simpler piece and then you added the other piece when you got married. Technically you were supposed to go and get them soldered together or whatever (I think that's the right term) but I never did.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Escape Artist's post
01-01-2016, 11:41 AM
(01-01-2016 11:39 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  The solution to the anti-engagement-ring-whatever-ist is to get one of those rings that's like a two-piece thing. My engagement ring was a simpler piece and then you added the other piece when you got married. Technically you were supposed to go and get them soldered together or whatever (I think that's the right term) but I never did.

This is a really good idea. I also think you can use your engagement ring as your wedding ring if you want to. I love vintage rings and would probably do something like that if I was engaged/married etc.
01-01-2016, 11:41 AM
(01-01-2016 10:32 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(01-01-2016 10:29 AM)Chas Wrote:  Congrats.

The term 'aengagementringist' has been simplified to 'cheapskate'. Big Grin

Adrianime, Why are you anti-engagementringish? I'm sure it is not because you are cheap Laugh out load Tongue

Hah, Well I actually didn't know that engagement rings were separate from wedding rings until recently. When I learned that, I looked into what the difference was, and I came to think the tradition doesn't mesh well with my values.

Here is a fun article that highlights some things I agree with, if you care to read.

This one is alright as well, but the writer isn't as funny.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
01-01-2016, 11:46 AM
(01-01-2016 11:41 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(01-01-2016 10:32 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Adrianime, Why are you anti-engagementringish? I'm sure it is not because you are cheap Laugh out load Tongue

Hah, Well I actually didn't know that engagement rings were separate from wedding rings until recently. When I learned that, I looked into what the difference was, and I came to think the tradition doesn't mesh well with my values.

Here is a fun article that highlights some things I agree with, if you care to read.

Interesting! I think if your gf doesn't want one and you guys decide not to have one, you should do what makes you happy. I really don't believe in doing something just because society says you should. I agree with the article, it should be about loving each other and not about the ring.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
01-01-2016, 11:48 AM
I'd say overall though, I think marriage is a mutual promise. The wedding ring symbolizes that promise. An engagement ring is unnecessary (and hugely unequal). Plus I wanted her to have a part in choosing the ring. It also peevs me greatly that I feel like it's all a farce...an act. Motions that people go through because that's what they think they should do. It just has no meaning to me.

01-01-2016, 11:55 AM
(01-01-2016 11:46 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(01-01-2016 11:41 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Hah, Well I actually didn't know that engagement rings were separate from wedding rings until recently. When I learned that, I looked into what the difference was, and I came to think the tradition doesn't mesh well with my values.

Interesting! I think if your gf doesn't want one and you guys decide not to have one, you should do what makes you happy. I really don't believe in doing something just because society says you should. I agree with the article, it should be about loving each other and not about the ring.
Haha, well she wants one, but she doesn't seem butthurt about it.

Her words(as transcribed by me): I grew up thinking of the traditional marriage. But it's about the love and not the material. I still want a ring, but I'm happy and it's not the most important thing to me. It's your verbal commitment that matters. And I'd rather have only one ring anyways instead of an engagement ring AND a wedding band.

01-01-2016, 11:59 AM
(01-01-2016 11:55 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(01-01-2016 11:46 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Interesting! I think if your gf doesn't want one and you guys decide not to have one, you should do what makes you happy. I really don't believe in doing something just because society says you should. I agree with the article, it should be about loving each other and not about the ring.
Haha, well she wants one, but she doesn't seem butthurt about it.

Her words(as transcribed by me): I grew up thinking of the traditional marriage. But it's about the love and not the material. I still want a ring, but I'm happy and it's not the most important thing to me. It's your verbal commitment that matters. And I'd rather have only one ring anyways instead of an engagement ring AND a wedding band.

I'm thinking she wants a ring Wink You could always use the engagement ring as your wedding ring--just a thought.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
01-01-2016, 12:01 PM
(01-01-2016 11:59 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(01-01-2016 11:55 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Haha, well she wants one, but she doesn't seem butthurt about it.

I'm thinking she wants a ring Wink You could always use the engagement ring as your wedding ring--just a thought.
Oh, I know she wants one Tongue. She will get a wedding ring Smile.

01-01-2016, 12:25 PM
(01-01-2016 11:39 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  The solution to the anti-engagement-ring-whatever-ist is to get one of those rings that's like a two-piece thing. My engagement ring was a simpler piece and then you added the other piece when you got married. Technically you were supposed to go and get them soldered together or whatever (I think that's the right term) but I never did.

That's the way my ring is. I never had it soldered together either. It separates and the diamond ring part kinda goes around to the palm side of my hand but see.....and here's the good part....my husband takes my hand a couple of times a day and fixes it. It's become a kind of sweet nothing, a term of endearment action to fix my ring. He's been doing it for 25 years now. Sleepy Heart

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 4 users Like dancefortwo's post
01-01-2016, 12:31 PM
(01-01-2016 12:25 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  

That's the way my ring is. I never had it soldered together either. It separates and the diamond ring part kinda goes around to the palm side of my hand but see.....and here's the good part....my husband takes my hand a couple of times a day and fixes it. It's become a kind of sweet nothing, a term of endearment action to fix my ring. He's been doing it for 25 years now. Sleepy Heart

That's very sweet. Heart Big Grin Heart Thanks for sharing.