The Next Generation?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-08-2012, 09:41 PM
The Next Generation?
Is it safe to say that the "Four Horsemen" were a generation of atheistic/freethinking intellectuals? With Hitchens gone (I've read God is not Great and have seen videos on him recently, and I'm starting to realize just how important he was), who will be next? I hope Dawkins, Dennett, and Harris can survive for quite a while (Harris is relatively young, while Dawkins and Dennett are both around that 70-year mark.)

If Dawkins and Dennett are in decline, do you see new people stepping up and taking prominence like them? Personally, I would like to follow in their footsteps, while pursuing my own scientific career, but of course I wouldn't count on it. Their major books all came out within a short period of time (2004 was the End of Faith, 2006 saw Letter to a Christian Nation, the God Delusion, and Breaking the Spell, while 2007 hosted God is not Great) and in the past five years I haven't heard of any other books with such influence, although I may be wrong.

"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned" - Anonymous
I am glad to live where there is no God, for I am moral, and mortal; I do not wish to worship He who crafts an immoral immortality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply