The Numinous

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-11-2011, 12:36 PM
RE: The Numinous
I am a very spiritual guy, the numinous is often a part of my daily experience. Depending on the season, I can go weeks or months being in bliss and love about every day.

There is no obvious trigger. Unlike the lofty rational and skeptical thinkers, I do not experience numinous feelings when looking at cosmic vastness, beauty of nature or famous pieces of art. These things are beautiful and I enjoy them ocassionally, but they don't do the trick.

The feeling actually started appearing noticeably when I started with regular meditation of a special kind. First time it was, like there was some foreign presence in my mind, which loved me. Really, there it was, something other than me and its unconditional love. That was once in meditation.
This feeling kept ocassionally returning, but it gradually shifted from something's love to me into my love towards everything and nothing at once. I experience it as a feeling of something warm radiating like sun in the middle of my chest, sometimes spreading into the stomach. And it's really blissful.

You see, I can very well understand why Christians say that there is Jesus and he loves them. I had actually met quite a few Christians who experienced a similar sort of thing. It's an intense experience that influences your character a lot.
Two things come out of this: firstly, the rare believers with this experience probably did not get to identify with that external loving presence in their mind, that would be blasphemy, right: Smile
Secondly, they do not think about this feeling, they simply take it as confirmation that their holy book is real. Despite of the fact, that it involves no devils, demons, angels, and other supernatural vermin. So, here I am, a disbeliever in their dogma and yet there's as they would say Jesus H. Christ in my heart, if it's him.

Furthermore, I am also quite susceptible to psychedelic music. That is a different kind of bliss, more mundane one. I simply taught my brain to react strongly to certain kinds of trippy and melancholic music. I can get really high on music like Shpongle and dozens of other bands you've never heard of, but the pianist Dax Johnson has a similar effect.

Add to that the intellectual buzz when inspiration comes, ideas are flowing, intuition grasps a thought, arguments are battled, ideas are expressed... That's a wonderful feeling too.

You see, all these feelings are completely internal and completely withdrawn from an everyday world. I'm often tripping and compared to that, the real world is empty and grey. A couple of thousand years ago I'd pass for a hermit, mystic or holy man somewhere. You guys at least have a reason to go out Wink
Don't worry, I'm not satisfied with that at all, I'm in the process of getting a life. Just sayin' what I inherited from my previous incarnations. I hope my future incarnations will inherit some social skills I intend to develop in this life.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-11-2011, 02:35 PM
Being submerged in warm water is my answer. I'll often do it for hours. If I'm really feeling down I'll just sleep in a tub. The interaction with all of that heat moving around and connecting to my body allows my mind to rest. I really think too much all the time, so the best relaxation for me is to have so much sensory input that I stop for a while. The good thing about the water is that it's easy to repeat the feeling.

I could never do meditation. My mind has been so active since childhood that I can't help it from going. As a kid and even now I occasionally actually shut down for a few seconds and then when I come to i have to breathe really deeply. It's why I never learned how to drive.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
Find all posts by this user
30-11-2011, 07:35 PM
(30-11-2011 12:36 PM)Luminon Wrote:  I

The feeling actually started appearing noticeably when I started with regular meditation of a special kind. First time it was, like there was some foreign presence in my mind, which loved me. Really, there it was, something other than me and its unconditional love. That was once in meditation.
This feeling kept ocassionally returning, but it gradually shifted from something's love to me into my love towards everything and nothing at once. I experience it as a feeling of something warm radiating like sun in the middle of my chest, sometimes spreading into the stomach. And it's really blissful.
(first up - your terms and your experiences are your own - atheism means there is no gospel in the following contention. Wink )

^That cat felt the Void. No wonder why Christians are so hot to discredit the Buddha and meditation... for me it was 16k hours of my Gwynnies, of which I guesstimate 4k went to the oblivion tax.. (Drawing Gwyneth Paltrow. Nearly everything else I draw, the mind spins around in circles while the hand and the eye co-ordinate; but when I draw Gwyneth, the Silence ensues, time gets lost, "I" go away. That's the key element, to release "I" from identity - to hear the sound of silence.)

As for "witnessing," my neighbor saw Jesus Christ - I saw the LC - yet we were "brothers in Christ. (still use that term occasionally - it's a "love identity")"

And it's all naive philosophy and 100% woo-free. Wink

(I can just hope I'm a prototype and others will not require 11 years and sixteen thousand hours to see the Void. Wink )

Where were we? Oh yeah, Holy Spirit is tao - the rhythm of the universe - and possibly the Numinous. The naive philosophy on that score is dual-state identity - that there are two universes. The causal entropic BBT universe - and the non-discrete waveform underneath. That in between the particles of Planck time exists "infinite nothingness" - a dimensionless point of all points - without discreteness, every point is the same point. If science puts the rigor to this bit of naive philosophy, alla kinds of problems go away. Wink

Sorry, ramble... just saying tao is available for all. So, hit it!

Yeah, being around creative jams helps to create the jam in the jammer. Wink

[Image: 10339580_583235681775606_5139032440228868471_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-12-2011, 07:10 PM
I sometimes step outside and look at the stars on a clear night and wonder what it would be like to travel to distant planets.

I sometimes go watch my children as they play and occasionally laugh at the simple little things they do.

I watch my cat or dogs and how loyal they are to me and wonder why they are so loyal when they don't have to be. Even though I know they enjoy the petting and food/water I provide Smile

My wife cooks all sorts of sweets and the wonderful smells fill the house and bring amazing delight. It brings back memories of times gone by.

It is the little things that we overlook in our lives that make for great wonder. You may know how something works or how science shows how it works. It is still delightful.

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user