The Obligatory Introduction Post

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2012, 12:22 AM
The Obligatory Introduction Post
Hello, I go by parsonf, and I'm an atheist. I'm new to this site, but not to atheism so much. I've considered myself an atheist for probably two years now, but over time that has become more and more solidified, and fairly recently I am more and more willing to be outspoken about it.

From early teens when I was first really introduced to Christianity to about three years ago (I'm 28 now), I went back and forth between being a Christian to some degree and being apathetic and uncertain about it. There was a mindset that going to church and reading the bible was equated with having my life in order somehow, and that not doing those things was equated to being lazy or irresponsible, etc. Not sure where that came from. So I never believed strongly, but at points, I tried to "get my life together".

Although, every time I would swing towards Christianity, there would be a hard backlash soon to follow. I'd say to myself, okay if I accept JC as lord and savior, then I obviously have to believe all this crap in the bible.. do I believe the creation story? The ark? All of this other nonsense? Sounds pretty far fetched. Because I am also fascinated by the universe and space, evolution, and science in general, so a lot of it didn't match up. So then I would swing back towards not being sure I believe any of this, but also not caring anymore either.

Finally, about three years ago I'd say, after a few swings of that pendulum back and forth, I finally decided that I care what is actually true. I also decided that I wasn't going to let people tell me or influence me what to believe anymore, that I was going to look at the evidence and draw my own conclusions. That previous statement, that decision, was the turning point for me. Before that was Christianity, to some degree. After that was atheism. That is the decision everyone needs to make. Anyway. I spent months just researching questions I wanted answers to. I tried to be as objective as possible, and avoid confirmation bias as much as possible. Because I wasn't looking for evidence to back up something I already believed, I was looking for the truth. I researched arguments for the existence of a god, and against. Eventually I had a pretty good idea of what I believed. Evidence definitely seemed to favor atheism.

Anyway, that was about three years ago, but that pretty much brings me to today. What's changed since then though is that I am way more certain of what I believe to be true and what I do not believe to be true, and I also call myself an atheist and I'm more outspoken about it, and I have some really negative feelings about the impact of religion on just about everything.

So that's me. Glad to be here.

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like parsonf's post
16-04-2012, 07:17 AM
RE: The Obligatory Introduction Post
Welcome to the forum!

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
16-04-2012, 07:21 AM
G'day, friendo.

[Image: opforum1.png]
16-04-2012, 07:41 AM
Welcome Smile

Sounds pretty much like my experience, except at one point I managed to dive in so far that the bullshit closed over my head... seriously felt like drowning. Lucky for me the ol' survival instinct kicked in...
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
16-04-2012, 07:47 PM
Thanks! Glad to be here.

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING
16-04-2012, 10:23 PM
Welcome to the TTA asylum. Muahahaha