• 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-12-2016, 09:13 PM
RE: The Official Crying Thread
Hug pass that on if it is a spare hug.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2016, 09:20 PM
(05-12-2016 09:10 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Sad news, just found out the daughter of an acquaintance was among the dead in the Oakland warehouse fire.

Sadcryface

Hug So sorry.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
05-12-2016, 09:22 PM
(05-12-2016 09:10 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Sad news, just found out the daughter of an acquaintance was among the dead in the Oakland warehouse fire.

Sadcryface

Oh no Sad So sorry

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
05-12-2016, 09:45 PM
im kinda stunned by this. Poor Michela.

I really feel awful for her parents. That's the hard part.

I heard about it when it happened early this month, but really didn't think much except how sad it was.

Now it's just exceptionally sad.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

05-12-2016, 09:52 PM
(05-12-2016 09:45 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  im kinda stunned by this. Poor Michela.

I heard about it when it happened early this month, but really didn't think much except how sad it was.

Hug

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
05-12-2016, 10:00 PM
Her boyfriend is still missing. Sadcryface

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

05-12-2016, 10:12 PM
(05-12-2016 10:00 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Her boyfriend is still missing. Sadcryface

Oh no, that's awful.
05-12-2016, 10:21 PM
(05-12-2016 09:45 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  im kinda stunned by this. Poor Michela.

How tragic Sad

2016 just keeps on coming. Angry

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
06-12-2016, 04:21 AM
So sorryHug
2016 suckiest year ever will not miss it when its gone. Sad
07-12-2016, 06:55 AM
My wife had a massive embolism from a DVT pass through a hole in her heart when she was 37. It struck her Thalamus and since then she has suffered from serious psychological problems, partial paralysis and tremor of the left side of her body and overwhelming anxiety.

She struggled through this but it ended her first marriage and she lost her children who went to live with her parents. I met her a few years later and I had no idea of the seriousness of this problem. I assumed that brain damage didn't affect behaviour but I now know better.

The anxiety she suffers makes her housebound and the only thing that helps is to have a drink but that got the better of her and she hit rock bottom, big time. I had my own business in which I worked 24 hours, 365 days a year, being on call for my own business out of hours and working six days a week. That collapsed due to political/economic issues so I had a couple of very good, high profile jobs but the strain of everything eventually got to me and I had to leave both due to stress related illness. In the end we decided to retire.

I became a patient's rights advocate after we found that her condition was identical in its symptoms to an anxiety condition which Olivier Ameisen discovered was treatable with baclofen. This drug is used to treat MS, a symptom of which is nervous tremor so it was easy to get a prescription and it worked very well, starting about 7 years ago and allowed me to carry on working for a while. However, the accompanying alcoholism had created such a problem for us that the strain of that counteracted any good the drug did and caused more drinking and that then escalated requiring hospitalisation and all sorts of social work intervention and we nearly lost our son.

The problem became getting treatment with this medicine from any doctor on a level which was effective.

It was then that I realised how difficult it is to advocate for patients. You would think that if you went into a doctor with a new discovery in medicine, that they would help. But that isn't so. You come up against a profession which is so hide-bound, conservative and defensive, that they put their own opinions and jobs before their patients and just push you aside. Nor is the treatment of neurological issues sufficiently well developed to push aside psychiatric treatments that really don't work at all, even if you can access them, which you generally can't. On top of that you have public opinion etc.

Anyway, I hunted and hunted and eventually found people on an internet forum who were using this drug and also found senior research doctors who treated my wife and advised her doctors.

Over a period of years, we got to grips with this treatment, taking a few pills every hour of the day, to stabilise brain activity...stopping causes withdrawal...

I was on the internet forum for several years and it attracted all sorts. In the course of it, one man came on the forum who decided he didn't like the idea of this drug even though he used it himself and he pathologically trolled the forum until everybody left, and set up a new forum, to which I belong.

As I was not a drinker, I couldn't post there but had developed a need to talk to people and since I had been looking after my wife over years of her being house bound and bedridden, some of it in a wheel chair, I decided to post on some other web sites about some things that had bugged me for a long time.

I am not an expert in any of this but I had thought that on a forum populated by people who were independent enough to break from convention and leave their own religions, I would find open mindedness.

I think that is true to an extend, but I have been disappointed by the same sort of intolerance and political correctness I found both in organised religion and in the medical profession so it has not been an entirely positive experience.

I think that being underemployed means I probably spend too much time here. I have a different perspective from most people having moved around a lot and have lived most of my life as a foreigner in other countries, or even regions, from where I grew up. I have migrated eastwards, against the flow of European and world migration patterns, from Western Canada to the Near East, via the UK so I have felt as though I was travelling back in time, seeing how older cultures, from which we all came, in their present state.

What I have found interesting is that when we say that a certain empire or group was in a certain area, for instance, the Manichaeans, or the Chaldeans, and that they disappeared or were conquered or their language disappeared, that almost always, that isn't true and these groups still exist today, speaking their languages, although in much smaller numbers, often oppressed and without us in the West knowing they are there. There are still Aramaic speakers, Chaldeans, Manichaeans, still worshipping in the same places, some are suppressed and have converted to other religions, some are so small in number they may disperse and disappear totally in the next generation or two, or maybe not.

One thing it has taught me is not to listen to media or to science about a lot of things. Much of what we take for granted is somebody's propaganda even if it is in medicine, as i found out.

Anyway, I had so much time that I did write a paper on this medical problem and took my wife to Paris. The stress of it nearly killed her. She's getting better but it's another long struggle.

I am finding that posting here helps to a degree but rather than getting constructive comments that lead to a consensus, the response is typically defensive of a deeply held POV and often "offensive".

So, anyway, it's not great. I suppose, though, that part of it is working off testosterone by arguing with anonymous avatars rather than boring my family. Who knows.

All I do know is that I find it wearying and it hasn't given me the peace of mind I had before my old forum was torn down by a doofus with an ego problem.

I think the most annoying thing is that I find myself falling into the trap of deciding not to post but feeling I have to and also having a lot of time on my hands. I think there is a pride thing as well that kicks in. I think these forums help isolate people who don't completely conform to the forum's culture and I don't. I thought that would be welcomed on a non-conformist oriented web site but there are enough people here who jump on people with different ideas to not make it a hugely rewarding experience.

We shall see. I have things I have to do and in a way this interferes with it, causes me stress and I really should take a break....lol... Even saying that I get this annoying thought that someone will say. "good, get lost", and then I will check back to see who it is. and on and on and on.SadFacepalm