• 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2017, 02:08 PM
RE: The Official Crying Thread
Sorry to see this, SK. Hug
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-02-2017, 04:13 PM
(02-02-2017 12:40 PM)skyking Wrote:  I just got a call from my brother, one of those calls that we all dread.
My niece is going in for surgery in an hour. She has late stage colon cancer that has metastasized to her liver, that went undiagnosed despite many months of illness and doctor's visits.
My sister is a nurse, and she has researched the specifics. Her conclusion was that our niece needs to make end of life decisions. She will likely come out of this surgery with a colostomy bag, and there will be follow on surgery for the liver. She will be 49 in April.
In many ways she is more of a contemporary, as my family is so spread out. She is my oldest sister's daughter and the first grandchild of our generation.
I am wrecked at the moment.

I am so sorry to hear this. Colon cancer claimed my closest friend from my Ft. Jackson days...we were battling different cancers at the same time...sadly, she didn't survive.

Sending hugs to you and big fuck you to cancer.

Heart

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
02-02-2017, 04:37 PM
hug you all back.
02-02-2017, 04:39 PM
Is she out of surgery yet mate?
02-02-2017, 04:49 PM
No, it got a late start. I spoke with my sister and got the lowdown. It is adenocarcinoma that originated in the colon and then went to the liver. This surgery is palliative in part, she went to the emergency room yesterday with what was probably a total blockage. The ER doctors did not wait for any pre authorizations and ordered up the scans that found the cancer.
Up till now, her treatment was delayed and hobbled by managed healthcare, with pre authorizations and denials for ever damn thing. They had done a biopsy that showed dead tissue, and presumed that it was from an infection. That is a common finding with adenocarcinoma when it is metastasizing to a different location. So her cancer has grown undiagnosed for 9 months since those scans and biopsy.
02-02-2017, 04:56 PM
I'm thinking of you and all your family my friend.
02-02-2017, 07:48 PM
Good news from the surgery. They were able to remove the tumor in her colon with confidence that they got it all.
She doesn't have a colostomy.
In two weeks they will do a PET scan to come up with a plan for the tumor on her liver.
[+] 4 users Like skyking's post
02-02-2017, 08:39 PM
(02-02-2017 07:48 PM)skyking Wrote:  Good news from the surgery. They were able to remove the tumor in her colon with confidence that they got it all.
She doesn't have a colostomy.
In two weeks they will do a PET scan to come up with a plan for the tumor on her liver.

If its a single tumour resection might be very successful and adjuvant chemo as belt and braces. I'm hoping for the best for her, you and all your family I'm off to bed as its three am here all the best SK.
[+] 3 users Like adey67's post
03-02-2017, 08:46 AM
Thank you all for your kind words. I was home alone when I got the news, and you guys were here for me.
The PET scan will show where the cancer has gone. It will be a tough wait.
03-02-2017, 09:17 AM
Just getting caught up on this.

Good news so far, SK. Stay strong.