The Official Peanut Butter Thread :D

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
20-04-2016, 02:36 PM
RE: The Official Peanut Butter Thread :D
(20-04-2016 07:45 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  
(19-04-2016 06:01 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  Awww yeah, this was my favorite as a kid:

[Image: Fluffernutter.jpg]

My teeth hurt just looking at this picture but those were good times. I always preferred Peter Pan Peanut Butter over Skippy myself.

Were you raised somewhere in New England? I've heard the humble Fluffernutter is not as well known outside NE.

I'm an Army brat so I grew up all over but never lived in NE, most of my childhood was in Germany and Oklahoma. My mom may have been inspired by another army wife from NE perhaps.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-04-2016, 03:02 PM
Should this thread be sticky? (^_^)
[+] 4 users Like Nishi Karano Kaze's post
20-04-2016, 03:23 PM
(20-04-2016 09:08 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(20-04-2016 07:48 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  With all the peanut allergies these days, I can imagine some invading force 50 years from now attacking us with weaponized peanut butter.

How is it that when I was a kid, nobody ever, ever suffered from peanut allergies? Is this just a new and devious way for kids to get out of school? Is there any legitimate science behind this alleged change, over time, or are all these claims only anecdotal?

They're dead because we didn't have enough epi pens for anaphylaxis?

#sigh
20-04-2016, 03:39 PM
(20-04-2016 07:48 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  With all the peanut allergies these days, I can imagine some invading force 50 years from now attacking us with weaponized peanut butter.

How is it that when I was a kid, nobody ever, ever suffered from peanut allergies? Is this just a new and devious way for kids to get out of school? Is there any legitimate science behind this alleged change, over time, or are all these claims only anecdotal?

It's over-exposure. 150 years ago Peanuts were not a significant portion of anyone's diet now it makes up a staggering percentage. Peanuts are a cheap form of protein so they are crammed into tons of products. It's not as bad as corn but here are some stats on average nut consumption.

The average American consumes more than six pounds of peanuts and peanut butter products each year.
The average child will eat 1,500 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches before he/she graduates high school.
Americans consume on average over 1.5 billion pounds of peanut butter and peanut products each year.
Peanut butter is consumed in 90 percent of USA households. Americans eat enough peanut butter in a year to make more than 10 billion peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. - See more at: http://teddie.com/nut-facts/#sthash.tktmA2WA.dpuf

When you add that much of anything to the diet of 250 million people you will begin to have evolutionary responses.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
20-04-2016, 04:49 PM

Dry roasting. When I was growing up we had roasted, fried or boiled but dry roasted didn't come along and get popular until the 70's or so. Dry roasting seems to be the biggest culprit for allergies. It changes the peanut proteins chemically.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 2 users Like Heatheness's post
20-04-2016, 05:43 PM
Feels like a good time for peanut butter right now.
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
20-04-2016, 05:46 PM (This post was last modified: 20-04-2016 06:21 PM by Anjele.)
(20-04-2016 04:49 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(20-04-2016 09:08 AM)SYZ Wrote:  How is it that when I was a kid, nobody ever, ever suffered from peanut allergies? Is this just a new and devious way for kids to get out of school? Is there any legitimate science behind this alleged change, over time, or are all these claims only anecdotal?

Dry roasting. When I was growing up we had roasted, fried or boiled but dry roasted didn't come along and get popular until the 70's or so. Dry roasting seems to be the biggest culprit for allergies. It changes the peanut proteins chemically.

I love peanuts and peanut butter. I like peanuts pretty much any way you can serve them but I never acquired a taste for boiled peanuts. Something I didn't even know existed till I lived in SC. My younger daughter loved them when she had braces and couldn't eat peanuts any other way. The town we lived in has an annual peanut party and they boil up tons of peanuts. I just always thought they tasted like dirt.

http://www.scpelionpeanutparty.com/

Note that this shindig starts with the blessing of the peanut pots. Facepalm Yeah, I spent 14 years in that town.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
20-04-2016, 06:16 PM
(20-04-2016 05:46 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(20-04-2016 04:49 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  Dry roasting. When I was growing up we had roasted, fried or boiled but dry roasted didn't come along and get popular until the 70's or so. Dry roasting seems to be the biggest culprit for allergies. It changes the peanut proteins chemically.

I love peanuts and peanut butter. I like peanuts pretty them pretty much any way you can serve them but I never acquired a taste for boiled peanuts. Something I didn't even know existed till I lived in SC. My younger daughter loved them when she had braces and couldn't eat peanuts any other way. The town we lived in has an annual peanut party and they boil up tons of peanuts. I just always thought they tasted like dirt.

http://www.scpelionpeanutparty.com/

Note that this shindig starts with the blessing of the peanut pots. Facepalm Yeah, I spent 14 years in that town.

Agreed, they taste awful to me and the texture is gross.

23-04-2016, 02:56 PM
I do not like peanut butter.
24-04-2016, 02:54 PM
(23-04-2016 02:56 PM)beeglez Wrote:  I do not like peanut butter.

I am sooooo sorry for you..... Sadcryface2

(Woohoo, more for us! ) Tongue

[+] 3 users Like Heatheness's post