The Official "What I Should Have Said to the Theist" Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
14-03-2011, 12:48 PM
The Official "What I Should Have Said to the Theist" Thread
Disclaimer: I have no authority to make anything actually "official," I just thought it sounded good for a thread.

So, here you can post a response that you should have made or almost made to someone, somewhere. Anywhere. I personally will probably have many from facebook, but you can include an argument you had, via email or in person, anything. It can be a response you thought of after the fact, or it can be a response you had but did not make for one reason or another (too emotional, too below the belt, whatever).

These don't have to be rational arguments or anything, you can post that you should have told your friend to fuck off if you like.

So here's mine.

What with the terrible tragedy in Japan, many people are (of course) beginning to see signs of the end times and all that other nonsense coming about. So I see this on my facebook feed:
-----
"Sept 11 (NY) Jan 11 (Haiti) and March 11 (Japan)... Luke 21:10-11 Then Jesus said to his disciples: "Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be great earthquakes, famines & pestilences in various places, & fearful events & great signs from heaven. Jesus says for behold I come quickly, so ask yourself are you ready? Sad to say many won't broadcast this message"
-----

I was, of course, appalled and pissed that one of my friends felt this was true and had to share. So my first typed response: "Those are pretty vague predictions. Earthquakes, famines, and war - I think we've had those since the dawn of mankind. Anything more specific?" But I didn't post it.

Then I typed: "Jesus sure loves to kill people, doesn't he?" But I didn't post it either. I ended up leaving it alone. The reason being it was actually my sister who posted it and I'm not completely out to my family (although I should be). Not to mention I'm somewhat used to her saying dumb things. Le sigh.

So, any body else have any?

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-03-2011, 12:53 PM

RE: The Official "What I Should Have Said to the Theist" Thread
Well, I generally always say what i'm thinking, which is barely ever a good thing haha. So yea, i don't have many "what i should have said" moments.

ALTHOUUUGH, what the hell do you guys say when people say, "If evolution is true, why are there still monkeys around" Of course there's the "That's like saying if you're alive, why is your uncle still alive?" But that doesn't always make sense, and i just don't know how else to word it.
Quote this message in a reply
14-03-2011, 01:25 PM
Because the birth of different ape species doesn't change the fact the mother is a monkey. The only reason monkeys would stop existing due to a new ape species being born from them would be if that species was the reason they died off. Like a Frog giving birth to something that eats frogs.

That's my answer basically

One of my favorite phrases to say to apologetics is if you don't believe that there is a need to follow your whole religion then how are you following the religion? If the bible, Qur'an, whatever is a holy book and filled with truths, then you should follow it all. When you state some things aren't really true you're saying the book is not filled with truths.

Generally I get this statement
"I just want to believe that there's a place you go to when you die."
My answer is simple. "Then believe in there being a place you go to when you die, I believe in a collective consciousness, and the fact that anything is possible no matter how impossible it seems. There is no reason to demand the entirety of Christianity with all of it's laws and restrictions in order for you to have a place to go to when you die."
It's a rather new argument of mine, but it's worked quite well in convincing Christians to be agnostic. I think it's simply that we're discussing an issue with their religion, and I'm not telling them they can't believe, just that there are easier ways.

I had a small argument with someone over 9/11. They asked for my birthday (7/11), and they said "Ouch" then went on to discuss how they thought I meant 9/11. Which I said why would that matter? It became an argument about the importance of the event, and I stated it was not important to me in the least and that people die in all sorts of events by much larger numbers. I never actually stated that I was unhappy over people dying so the person decided I'm a horrible evil person and blocked me. It really wouldn't have been hard for me to have said, "It's not that I am happy people died, but...."

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
14-03-2011, 02:05 PM
I like the argument. If Americans came from Britain, why do we still have British?

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-03-2011, 02:15 PM

(14-03-2011 12:48 PM)TheSixthGlass Wrote:  Disclaimer: I have no authority to make anything actually "official," I just thought it sounded good for a thread.

So, here you can post a response that you should have made or almost made to someone, somewhere...

That's a broad spectrum of woulda, shoulda, coulda's. Wink So I'll address what the subject line of this thread focuses on and say, it's not a matter of missed opportunity with me. If a Theists boldly confronts me or my beliefs, I boldly speak back. Smile
Passive, ain't in my DNA! Tongue
14-03-2011, 02:30 PM

Well, the thread's also for people who just forgot to say something, so it's not just for people that were too passive to make their opinion known. Like before truly understood the difference between a theory and a scientific theory, i'd always have to shut up when people said "it's just a theory", and now i wish i had told known and told them the truth.

And thanks, that's good Lilith, that should work.
14-03-2011, 03:34 PM
No problem I occasionally say the right thing in my random musings *tips invisible hat*.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
14-03-2011, 03:57 PM
We were having a discussion in Comm. Arts (English) class today about eunthinasia (Youth-in-Asia, obviously English isn't my strongest subject), and one of my classmates said that "Murder is a sin, so euthinasia is also a sin." To which I should have responded, "Lieing is a sin, and all sin is equal in God's eyes, so let's make it illegal to lie." Also abortion got brought up somehow, because somebody was unclear about what they meant about a baby (somebody thought "baby" was a reference to something prenatal), and they were talking about how it was wrong, to which I wanted to respond "It's also wrong to put out fires, twice as wrong to be exact!"
14-03-2011, 04:26 PM
My cousin's wife (I'm not sure the technical term for our relation) posted this on her facebook, followed by several others posting it as well.

"Hi Lord, its me,things are getting bad here, gas prices are too high, no jobs, food and heating cost too high. I know some have taken you out of our schools, government & even Christmas. But Lord, I'm asking you to come back and re-bless America, we really need you. Thanks Lord, Love ya...The Lord says when 2 or more are gathered in My Name!!! There I will be also!!! (Let's see how far this goes. Please Re-Post"

I wanted to give her a quick history lesson about why her lord isn't allowed in those places, but I decided against it. I'm not fully out to my family and she married into the religious side.

Of all the ideas put forth by science, it is the principle of Superposition that can undo any power of the gods. For the accumulation of smaller actions has the ability to create, destroy, and move the world.

"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." -W. E. Henley
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-03-2011, 08:38 PM
(14-03-2011 12:53 PM)Cdf50 Wrote:  what the hell do you guys say when people say, "If evolution is true, why are there still monkeys around"

Easy. If the americas were colonized by the british, why are there still british people?

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire