The Official "What I Should Have Said to the Theist" Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
14-03-2011, 09:09 PM
RE: The Official "What I Should Have Said to the Theist" Thread
(14-03-2011 12:53 PM)Cdf50 Wrote:  ALTHOUUUGH, what the hell do you guys say when people say, "If evolution is true, why are there still monkeys around" Of course there's the "That's like saying if you're alive, why is your uncle still alive?" But that doesn't always make sense, and i just don't know how else to word it.

Because we didn't evolve from monkeys, that's why. We're all "related", because we evolved from a common ancestor, but we're all different branches from the same trunk.

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-03-2011, 09:18 PM
hello people of this thread, i coincidently posted something very similar to this here:
http://thethinkingatheist.com/forum/show...p?tid=1700
if you are interested in this subject i think you may have something to add to mine as well. please take a moment and read it if you have time.

even the smartest man in the world is an idiot
15-03-2011, 02:10 AM
I have one friend who is fond of defending his beliefs by saying, "20 million people can't be wrong!" (He's a Jehovah's Witness). In order to avoid (another) argument with him I bite my tongue rather than say, "Oh yes they can- 20 million people once believed the world was flat, and guess what? They were wrong!" For 'the world was flat' you could insert any number of commonly-held fallacies, such as left-handed people were possessed by the devil, etc.

I have another life-long friend who posts requests for prayers on her facebook page for kids who are suffering with cancer. She is a lovely person with a heart of gold, if a dim understanding of science and nature, and I can't bring myself to respond with something like, "Instead of relying on prayer for a cure, let's hope the child receives the proper medical care they require, and instead of God, thank the doctors and scientists responsible for the child's recovery afterwards."

The way to see by Faith, is to shut the eye of Reason. - Ben Franklin
15-03-2011, 06:02 AM
(15-03-2011 02:10 AM)hotrodmike Wrote:  "20 million people can't be wrong!"
I saw someone (I think "unbelliever"), post on this site once
Quote:Write "Unbelliever is God" on a paper 20 million times, then see if it's true.
I liked that response.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
19-03-2011, 09:28 AM

When confronted by Evangelicals, Witnesses, Mormons, etc., I use a line like this: "I'm sure your god seems very real to you, but people of other religions imagine their gods differently from yours, and many of us do not imagine a god the way you do, at all."
Quote this message in a reply
19-03-2011, 04:32 PM
(19-03-2011 09:28 AM)jmason37 Wrote:  When confronted by Evangelicals, Witnesses, Mormons, etc., I use a line like this: "I'm sure your god seems very real to you, but people of other religions imagine their gods differently from yours, and many of us do not imagine a god the way you do, at all."

I'm not sure about the others, but Mormons don't accept that. The just say "Well we are the only true church because only we have the Book of Mormon alongside the Bible."

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
19-03-2011, 05:59 PM

When told that Evolution is only a theory how do you respond? I have heard the one about gravity but that is commonly referred to as the "Law" of gravity. So....
Mythyx
19-03-2011, 06:20 PM
(19-03-2011 05:59 PM)Mythyx Wrote:  When told that Evolution is only a theory how do you respond? I have heard the one about gravity but that is commonly referred to as the "Law" of gravity. So....
Mythyx

Clarify what you mean by theory, as in the scientific sense. If they don't agree with your definition of theory then say what you mean when you call evolution a theory is that it is more or less a fact. Presumably they will disagree and then you can argue for evolution so its always helpful to learn a bit.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
19-03-2011, 07:53 PM

(19-03-2011 04:32 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  
(19-03-2011 09:28 AM)jmason37 Wrote:  When confronted by Evangelicals, Witnesses, Mormons, etc., I use a line like this: "I'm sure your god seems very real to you, but people of other religions imagine their gods differently from yours, and many of us do not imagine a god the way you do, at all."

I'm not sure about the others, but Mormons don't accept that. The just say "Well we are the only true church because only we have the Book of Mormon alongside the Bible."

That's the problem but also my point -- members of each group think that group has the true or best story. But obviously because they are mutually contradictory, they can't all be objectively true. It's rather like saying "my house is the best one because I'm living in it." So I like to confront religious fundamentalists with the different histories and views of other groups to get their reactions and hope (faintly) that they will, in time, reflect on their own reactions.

I once asked a Muslim scholar what he though of the similarities between the revelation of the Book of Mormon to Joseph Smith and the revelation of the Koran to Mohammed. Hadn't they both been given new scriptures by an angel? The best he could do was to give a little smirk and change the subject.

An evangelical acquaintance of my wife has told her that she must accept Jesus as savior in order to go to heaven. When my wife asked where our good Jewish friends would go, the evangelical said rather uncertainly that they would probably go to a "different part" of heaven! "Oh, really??" said my wife.
20-03-2011, 01:43 AM
A lady approached me in the street several years ago and asked me if I believed in jesus. I asked her if she knew what language jesus spoke. She didn't know. I asked her why I should listen to someone tell me about jesus when they didn't even know what language he spoke. She asked me if it was important. If you don't know what language he spoke tou really don't know mich about him. After a few guesses she didn't even come close, so I asked her if she knew what language Adolph Hitler spoke. She said German. I told her that she knows more about Hitler than you do about jesus and then I walked away.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.