The Old Baptist Days

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-04-2016, 05:28 AM
RE: The Old Baptist Days
(17-04-2016 08:22 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  ...and the church sent in the deacons to stop it.

I can see it now... "The Deacons" could even be bigger than "The Bishop"

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
18-04-2016, 06:49 PM
RE: The Old Baptist Days
(17-04-2016 09:21 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  My "dip" in Catholicism was mostly just research and reading about some of their beliefs as I was going through my deconversion process. In the churches I grew up in, there was a good bit of disdain for Catholics. We believed that they *could* be saved, but probably weren't, believed they worshipped Mary and that they should not have the pictures and statues they had in their churches, etc.

Catholicism was just always held in a bad light, so once I started questioning the Baptist tenets, one of the first things I started looking into was Catholicism. I thought their churches were beautiful, I liked some of the rituals (I thought their use of tactile things like rosary beads or even prayer candles were neat), and I just in general wanted to see what it was that other Baptists found so disagreeable about the Catholic church and to see how I felt about it for myself.

I never attended a service or went and spoke with a Catholic priest or anything, though I did follow Jennifer Fulwiler's blog Conversion Diary for quite a while (and this was when I would have still had the wrong ideas about who atheists were and what they were about).

Ugh, I'm rambling - anyway, yes it was a brief period of research and fascination I went through and pretty much the next stop was atheism. I did not dig into any non-Christian religions to speak of.
Nothing wrong with rambling when thinking of one's conversion or de-conversion story! And can't blame you for looking there first; it seems like a natural opposite in many ways, when one isn't considering atheism yet, or really taught to even consider it as an option. I have to admit, the use of all our senses in the liturgy is one thing I do enjoy about the faith, those tactile sensations...feeling the rosary beads (though my personal preference is the Divine Mercy prayer), the warmth of the candles, the smell of incense, etc. Every item and action having its own purpose and reason.

And Jennifer Fulwiler! I think you learned the opposite of what her blog wanted, becoming an atheist, where she went from atheist to Catholic. I'll admit I read her blog sometimes too and have an ex who corresponded with her for a time. Thanks for sharing, whether it's a conversion to a religion, or a de-conversion, I find stories like those to be utterly fascinating. (The exception being "Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic"...so dry...so very dry...)

(17-04-2016 09:37 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Dunecat

Yes!!! I have to admit, some of my top possible cat names: Chairman Meow, Stilgar, Alia (because I imagine the claws would live up to Alia of the Knife).

(17-04-2016 09:37 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I grew up Catholic and from 6th grade through my early 20s lived in a small, very Catholic town. And by very Catholic I mean the only other 'church' was a Kingdom Hall that was built some time after moving there. The schools in town were all Catholic except for the kindergarten. About as Catholic an area you can get without actually being in the Vatican. My knowledge of other religions was, at best, dismal. But I didn't give it much thought as I really didn't ever buy into any of it any way. Being Catholic is just what we did.

Moving to SC in the mid 80s was a real eye opener for me. I had never been around people who talked about religion all the time. Where it was an opener for conversation...hi, my name is so and so...what church do you belong to? Blink

One night a couple good Baptist ladies showed up at the door to invite us to come to their church. One asked what my religious affiliation was...when I said that I was raised Catholic the older of the two ladies actually audibly gasped. Then I had to go on a mission to find out why. I soon learned that some of the tent revival preachers were teaching that Catholics were like Satanists and all sorts of other wonderful things. I was stunned. As time went on I found out how hated the Catholics are by many of the other 'Christians'. Hell, I didn't choose to be Catholic. I know a lot of Catholics...they didn't seem that bad as a whole.

My Pentecostal neighbor was more accepting. But then she was raised by a Catholic father. Religion caused us some problems...funny how you are not only expected to be Christian but also the correct flavor of Christian. Undecided And all the different kinds of Christians seem to think that theirs is the correct one.

That sounds insane, the growing up in a small culturally Catholic town like that. Maybe it's because I'm from WV, but I can't even imagine what it was like, even with the description! Though the knowledge of other religions things sounds like par for the course from a lot of the "cradle Catholic" folks I've met.

And then the South Carolina part sounds so...so...Southern. Growing up in the top tip of the South, getting asked where I went to the church was normal. Getting a Baptist preacher in PA who did that at my door once and reacting poorly to the Catholic thing had to be somewhat similar to what you were experiencing in South Carolina there with the tent preachers saying Catholics were Satanic and such.

I hear you on the "not the right one" type thing. Sad "No True Scotsman" fallacy seems to be alive and well in Christendom as it were, with the 41,000 or so denominations. Sorry you went through that; and very sorry for what you're going through right now with the storms! The school's news feed had a brief blurb showing some of the damage and it reminded me of your posts about how horrible things are.

(18-04-2016 05:28 AM)unfogged Wrote:  I can see it now... "The Deacons" could even be bigger than "The Bishop"
That was hilarious! Far more so than old men in suits standing around menacingly. Though to be honest, as good as the Monty Python crew are, when it comes to satirizing my own faith, I prefer Father Ted...then again, Father Ted is awfully realistic at times.

Speaking of realistic, and of ye olden Baptist days and being afraid and repraying the Sinner's Prayer and recommitting to Jesus (as Seth brings up time to time in the podcast), I found this satirical jewel earlier today:
Local High Schooler Pretty Sure Sixth Camp Rededication Did The Trick

Quote:HOMEWOOD, AL—Upon returning from his Spring retreat with Grace Life Baptist’s youth group, high-school senior Frank Middleton reported that despite the last five failed attempts, this time around he is pretty sure his rededication to Christ is really going to stick.

“I just sense this one is different,” explained Middleton. “I’ve prayed the Sinner’s Prayer every year since I was five, and I’ve been going to camps since I was in the sixth grade, but on that final night when we all cried after the worship set, it wasn’t like the other times. It was . . . real.”

Despite the teenager’s confidence and a general level of support within the group, not all were as persuaded.

Best friend Jake Cummings thinks another baptism would really seal the deal. “We’ve all been there. And I love Frank, and I am pretty sure he loves Jesus—I just know that for me, it wasn’t until my fourth baptism that I really meant it. And Jake’s only been baptized twice. I don’t want to see him risk throwing it all away because he got cocky.”

When asked for comment, Tim Wilson, Grace Life Baptist youth pastor, noted, “Well, I was planning to wait to teach on justification and sanctification in the fall anyways, but I guess a summer series might work.”

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply