The Old Testament and the New Covenant--help

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
18-06-2014, 09:47 AM
RE: The Old Testament and the New Covenant--help
(18-06-2014 04:38 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(18-06-2014 04:28 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Don't forget the spann! Tongue

No, no, it's not 'spann' it's 'span with two n's connected together'. Looks something like this; m.

Here ya go, have some nice cheese to go with that.

[Image: tumblr_static_cheese_205_1362800142.jpg]

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-06-2014, 10:49 AM
(17-06-2014 06:39 PM)childeye Wrote:  Okay, let me show you the differences between you and me. But please understand I mean no offense.
Understood and no offense taken.

(17-06-2014 06:39 PM)childeye Wrote:  The first thing I notice is you say you had very strong faith. Faith in what exactly?
Faith in Jesus as my Lord and savior. Faith in the Holy Trinity as the one true God and creator of all things.

(17-06-2014 06:39 PM)childeye Wrote:  You then proceed to elaborate further saying this, "Jesus was real, Jesus was God, Jesus was my savior, and nothing truly mattered in life except to the extent that it contributed to my ultimate salvation".
My faith is in the fact that it is a great Love that would sacrifice one's self for others, as sure as it is not love to sacrifice others for one's self. That is an undeniable Truth to me. Undeniable. It is just the way it is. Jesus is real alright, as in keeping it real. So I would never say I believe in the Spirit of Christ for the sake of my salvation. That is a self serving reason to believe in Jesus.
Point taken. However, please realize that the description of my faith was not my primary purpose in my previous answer so I didn't put much priority in being 100% precise. I was trying to give as much information in as few words as possible especially since that wasn't the primary topic. I thought "to the extent that it contributed to my ultimate salvation" would probably give most people a better picture of my meaning without further clarification than something like "loving God to the best of my ability". That said, pursuing salvation requires an honest love of God if there is any chance for it to result in salvation (according to my old faith, that is) anyway, so the love was implied.

(17-06-2014 06:39 PM)childeye Wrote:  Your statement "Jesus was real, Jesus was God" indicates a faith based upon superstition, not the Truth that is revealed in the Christ.
How so?

(17-06-2014 06:39 PM)childeye Wrote:  Your statement 100% positive I would never lose it, yet you lost it, also emphasizes you were not believing in the undeniable Truth revealed in the Christ.
Baloney. All it shows is that one's mind can change when new evidence or new ways of viewing the same information is introduced - that is, IF one is open to the change. You seem to be implying that I wouldn't be open to the change if the "Truth" had been revealed to me. But it isn't any "truth" that causes a closed mind; it's a stubborn refusal to face facts (for any of countless reasons).

(17-06-2014 06:39 PM)childeye Wrote:  As scripture says, No greater Love can be shown then for one to lay down his life for his friends. He is indeed the good shepherd. And because his Love is such, he is trustworthy. It doesn't matter if Jesus was real as you say, it only matters that Love is real and valued above all else, for God is Love.
Is love also God? If you can't answer "yes" then they aren't one and the same even to you. Therefore, it would matter if Jesus is real. If you do answer "yes", then God is just an emotion which I don't think is what you're saying.

(17-06-2014 06:39 PM)childeye Wrote:  The fact that you would ask what lies I am referring to, means you have never heard from the Holy Spirit. Nor has he guided your steps to see all the lies that would cause a man to sacrifice others for themselves. He has not shown you, your errors made in pride and the spirits of darkness that reside under those lies. He has not revealed to you why pride exists in humanity and the lie that one must believe for it to exist. Hence I say you were practicing religion.
Actually I asked simply because I want to make sure I understand what we are discussing before I add any comments. Even if the lies have been revealed to me, it doesn't mean they have been revealed to you necessarily. So I want to make sure I understand what YOU mean. Care to answer it now?

==============

Now that I addressed your reply, I would like to add 3 comments:

1. You hardly know anything about me at all. Yet you claimed you could prove that I was never a Christian. That's a completely silly proposition, of course, because you can't possibly know whether I was a Christian when you know next to nothing about me.

2. You failed to prove that I wasn't a Christian. For starters, you never even defined what you mean by "Christian". That should have been the first thing you did since you seem to have some other definition than what is typical.

3. If I told you I have a friend who believes in a god called Yoshi and that friend knows it's the real god because Yoshi has revealed the truth to my friend, would you believe it? The implication of your arguments seems to be that you can't truly believe in God unless the truth is revealed to you by God, but the truth will not be revealed either unless you first believe. So I could argue you don't believe Yoshi is the one true god because Yoshi hasn't revealed it to you because you don't believe because Yoshi hasn't revealed it to you because you don't... Same "logic". So why would you be so certain that Jesus is the one true God and not Yoshi? Consider

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
18-06-2014, 02:41 PM
(18-06-2014 09:47 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(18-06-2014 04:38 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  No, no, it's not 'spann' it's 'span with two n's connected together'. Looks something like this; m.

Here ya go, have some nice cheese to go with that.

[Image: tumblr_static_cheese_205_1362800142.jpg]

[Image: sheogorath_sig.jpg]

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
18-06-2014, 05:21 PM (This post was last modified: 18-06-2014 05:28 PM by childeye.)
(17-06-2014 08:21 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  How exactly does one usurp the power of an supposedly infinitely powerful and all-knowing thing?

The all knowing foreknew it would happen. The power is usurped because of the circumstance of being a creature that follows in succession to the Creator. The creature takes for granted that which the Creator bestows upon him or her.
Quote:Surely the power supposedly being usurped would be impossible to supplant, as it is supposed to be from a source of all-power. Unless of course you are willing to alleged that 'Vanity' is of equal capacity to your deity and thus be able to take the place of it.
I wish I could think of a better word than usurp. The scriptures describe the highest angel being given great knowledge beauty power and responsibility. But gradually he begins to take pride in this and he begins to lord it over others as if he had earned those talents or deserved them. Hence the eagle should not glory over the dung beetle, and the dung beetle should not aspire to be an eagle. God has made each one for there proper station. Hence we see Satan saying in his heart, it is not enough to be the highest angel. I desire to be God.

Quote:And how does one even usurp something from a supposedly all-knowing being anyway? They'd know it was going to happen long before it did anyway; therefore if said being doesn't do anything about it prior to it's occurrence it's not really usurping is it? Usurping is done illegally, or at the very least, without permission, so if nothing is done about it from a perspective of long-prior knowledge, that may as well be implicit approval of said usurping making it not really usurping at all.
All good points. I wish I had a better word than usurp as I said above. I did say taking for granted. Unthankfulness. Clearly God foreknew this would happen and this is why He designed the flesh existence. Here through losing what we take for granted is vanity seen for what it is. Here is where all is refined. Here is where God is glorified. Therefore God takes what is bad and turns it into a good thing.

Quote:And if said being did do something about the supposed power-usurping, then whence cometh usurpers?
Well I think God did do something about it. Where vanity comes from is a matter of circumstance. Whether vanity usurps or corrupts or steals or desecrates or takes for granted is more a matter of terminology.
18-06-2014, 09:02 PM
"cleary god foreknew" - Are you friggin kidding me there childlike? Your arrogance coupled with all those delusions claiming knowledge of god's thoughts is just...well... frightening now. Still far from a true christian.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
18-06-2014, 09:41 PM
(18-06-2014 05:21 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(17-06-2014 08:21 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  How exactly does one usurp the power of an supposedly infinitely powerful and all-knowing thing?

The all knowing foreknew it would happen. The power is usurped because of the circumstance of being a creature that follows in succession to the Creator. The creature takes for granted that which the Creator bestows upon him or her.

So god is an asshole that practices entrapment. Also, if you 'bestow' something, you can't then also claim it has been 'usurped' from you. Facepalm

(17-06-2014 08:21 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Surely the power supposedly being usurped would be impossible to supplant, as it is supposed to be from a source of all-power. Unless of course you are willing to alleged that 'Vanity' is of equal capacity to your deity and thus be able to take the place of it.
I wish I could think of a better word than usurp. The scriptures describe the highest angel being given great knowledge beauty power and responsibility. But gradually he begins to take pride in this and he begins to lord it over others as if he had earned those talents or deserved them. Hence the eagle should not glory over the dung beetle, and the dung beetle should not aspire to be an eagle. God has made each one for there proper station. Hence we see Satan saying in his heart, it is not enough to be the highest angel. I desire to be God.

Please stop pretending like John Milton's Paradise Lost is a missing Gospel, thanks. Facepalm

Also, if god made them all in their stations, why couldn't he also make them all content with their stations? If he created in us a desire to rise above our station, and we are his creations, it's still his fault/responsibility.

(17-06-2014 08:21 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  And how does one even usurp something from a supposedly all-knowing being anyway? They'd know it was going to happen long before it did anyway; therefore if said being doesn't do anything about it prior to it's occurrence it's not really usurping is it? Usurping is done illegally, or at the very least, without permission, so if nothing is done about it from a perspective of long-prior knowledge, that may as well be implicit approval of said usurping making it not really usurping at all.
All good points. I wish I had a better word than usurp as I said above. I did say taking for granted. Unthankfulness. Clearly God foreknew this would happen and this is why He designed the flesh existence. Here through losing what we take for granted is vanity seen for what it is. Here is where all is refined. Here is where God is glorified. Therefore God takes what is bad and turns it into a good thing.

So instead of just making things perfect from the get go, all of existence is one morbid experiment of for an omnipotent voyeuristic trans-dimensional space wizard? You can see the crazy shit you are typing, right?

(17-06-2014 08:21 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  And if said being did do something about the supposed power-usurping, then whence cometh usurpers?
Well I think God did do something about it. Where vanity comes from is a matter of circumstance. Whether vanity usurps or corrupts or steals or desecrates or takes for granted is more a matter of terminology.

Your supposedly perfect god made an imperfect world because he's a fucked-in-the-head sadist, and all of your splitting hairs and misuse of vocabulary doesn't hide how disgusting your mythology is when you break it down to it's component pieces.

Also, evidence or GTFO.

Thankfully we have no reason, no evidence, to take any of your delusions seriously.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post