The Only Commandment With a (False) Promise

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-01-2012, 11:20 AM
The Only Commandment With a (False) Promise
Those of you who know the 10 commandments probably also know that one of them carries a promise...

Exodus 20:12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

This is pretty clear... Honor your father and your mother and you'll live a long life. While there are some that actually dismiss this as being a promise, it's clarified in later scripture.

Ephesians 6:1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right.
2 Honour thy father and mother; which is the first commandment with promise;
3 That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth.

So does this actually happen? Well, I'm sure there are plenty of anecdotes about obedient children that die in childhood, these can be diagnosed as unscientific. How can you quantify obedience to a parent?

Well, that's where I'm going to invoke the example of Jesus. He obeyed his parents (it's axiomatic if you accept that Jesus is sinless) and yet died around the age of 33. Is that "living long upon the Earth"? It's safe to say that there have been disobedient children that lived longer than that, even in the same time period. What about Jesus rising from the dead - doesn't that mean that he lived an eternal life equal to his perfect obedience? You could make that remark about anyone who went to Heaven after death (as Jesus did very shortly after resurrection), thus nullifying the point of even making such a promise. The verses do specify living long "upon the Earth".

I think it's fair to say that there's no link between honor of thy parents and living long. There's no natural link between obedience to your folks and avoiding accidents or avoiding cancer. The supernatural link doesn't have any evidence in favor of it, either. But I think it would make an interesting topic for study, all the same.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2012, 11:44 AM
RE: The Only Commandment With a (False) Promise
I think the general idea there was that if you honor your parents, which in this case means listen to their advice and their teachings, you'll live a longer and healthier life because you'll be smarter. Your parents always told you not to play in the street, right? Who's gonna live longer, the child who honors that advice or the one who disobeys? I know from personal experience that a car's bumper is hard.

[Image: 553193_635722216633_1026343474_n.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
04-01-2012, 12:04 PM
You can totally tell that commandment was written by a parent... Big Grin

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like sy2502's post
04-01-2012, 12:10 PM
You can always relate that commandment with the accepted practice of murdering ones own children if they disobey. So technically back then since the bible said it was ok if you disobeyed your parents they could kill your ass, obedience grants longer life.

Booyah.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like lucradis's post