The Origins of the Universe

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-01-2014, 12:03 AM
RE: The Origins of the Universe
We can start with The Big Bang http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang

The Universe was in an extremely hot and dense state and began expanding rapidly. After the initial expansion, the Universe cooled sufficiently to allow energy to be converted into various subatomic particles, including protons, neutrons, and electrons. Though simple atomic nuclei formed within the first three minutes after the Big Bang, thousands of years passed before the first electrically neutral atoms formed. The majority of atoms that were produced by the Big Bang are hydrogen, along with helium and traces of lithium. Giant clouds of these primordial elements later coalesced through gravity to form stars and galaxies, and the heavier elements were synthesized either within stars or during supernovae.
The Big Bang is the scientific theory that is most consistent with observations of the past and present states of the universe, and it is widely accepted within the scientific community. It offers a comprehensive explanation for a broad range of observed phenomena, including the abundance of light elements, the cosmic microwave background, large scale structure, and the Hubble diagram. The core ideas of the Big Bang—the expansion, the early hot state, the formation of light elements, and the formation of galaxies—are derived from these and other observations. As the distance between galaxies increases today, in the past galaxies were closer together. The consequence of this is that the characteristics of the universe can be calculated in detail back in time to extreme densities and temperatures, while large particle accelerators replicate such conditions, resulting in confirmation and refinement of the details of the Big Bang model.

If you enjoy hour long videos about physics and the universe, then I suggest this one.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-01-2014, 12:07 AM

"In many cultures it is customary to answer that God created the universe out of nothing. But this is mere temporizing. If we wish courageously to pursue the question, we must, of course ask next where God comes from? And if we decide this to be unanswerable, why not save a step and conclude that the universe has always existed?"

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 3 users Like Hafnof's post
14-01-2014, 07:34 PM
(13-01-2014 07:10 PM)RomanNose Wrote:  I am looking through the different theories about the origins of the universe and am wondering what theory people deem more logical. In your opinion is it more logical to believe in creation ex nihilo, a eternal universe, or eternal God? Why? I have never really heard any credible theories other then these three but if you have please share. Smile

I don't believe the Universe has an origin. At least, if we interpret "origin" as "beginning". In a sense, it does not even make physical sense to say that Universe is expanding or following some sort of evolution. This is obvious; if we see the Universe as a spacetime continuum, it would be absurd to talk about its evolution in time, since there are no external clocks to measure its alleged dynamics.

But if the Universe is static, then it never had a beginning and will never have an end. Even the word "never" has no meaning in this context.

The Universe simply is. No origin required.

Ciao

- viole
14-01-2014, 08:22 PM
(13-01-2014 07:10 PM)RomanNose Wrote:  I am looking through the different theories about the origins of the universe and am wondering what theory people deem more logical. In your opinion is it more logical to believe in creation ex nihilo, a eternal universe, or eternal God? Why? I have never really heard any credible theories other then these three but if you have please share. Smile
eternal universe. It is not my theory. I have no theories. I only believe that it is true statement.
I don't believe that something can be organized from nothing. I believe that Gods (intelligent Beings) organize worlds/things from un-organized matter(physical matter or spiritual matter)

English is not my native language.
that awkward moment between the Premortal Existence and your Resurrection
14-01-2014, 08:27 PM
Q: How do Pastafarians believe our world was created?

A: We believe the Flying Spaghetti Monster created the world much as it exists today, but for reasons unknown made it appear that the universe is billions of years old (instead of thousands) and that life evolved into its current state (rather than created in its current form). Every time a researcher carries out an experiment that appears to confirm one of these “scientific theories” supporting an old earth and evolution we can be sure that the FSM is there, modifying the data with his Noodly Appendage. We don’t know why He does this but we believe He does, that is our Faith.

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Diogenes of Mayberry's post