The Orville

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-09-2017, 07:42 AM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2017 08:04 AM by onlinebiker.)
The Orville
Anyone else watch it last night???

I' m a Seth MacFarlane fan. I get his sense of humor.

What surprised me about this show is how good it looked. The visuals were pretty top notch. They didn't cheap out on stuff like the original Star Trek.

Any Trekkie will probably gripe about how "they stole that from the original series", but screw em. Star Trek ripped off the idea too... . Le Voyage dans la Lune is the only one to get credit for total originality.

I'm looking forward to more.

Edit to add..

And it's nice knowing MacFarlane's an atheist. We're less likely to get the occasional Jebus name dropping we got from ST original series...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
11-09-2017, 08:04 AM
RE: The Orville
I watched it. I thought it was pretty good. It seemed like he was setting it up for a long run with individual story lines for each episode which will be nice (not like 24 where the whole season is one set of events). There were a couple of corny jokes, but that's what you've got to expect with him.

I read or listened to an interview with him where he mentioned he wanted to do something along the lines of Star Trek, but with his own twists. I'm glad he was able to put it together and make it happen. I also think his references to Star Trek were completely intentional. I do hope it doesn't get stale because I'm looking forward to more!

It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.
11-09-2017, 08:11 AM
(11-09-2017 08:04 AM)reeveseb Wrote:  I watched it. I thought it was pretty good. It seemed like he was setting it up for a long run with individual story lines for each episode which will be nice (not like 24 where the whole season is one set of events). There were a couple of corny jokes, but that's what you've got to expect with him.

I read or listened to an interview with him where he mentioned he wanted to do something along the lines of Star Trek, but with his own twists. I'm glad he was able to put it together and make it happen. I also think his references to Star Trek were completely intentional. I do hope it doesn't get stale because I'm looking forward to more!

His Star Trek references are earned.

He was on Enterprise for a couple episodes. I guess there's several people, cast and crew that did work in the Star Trek franchise that are involved with The Orville.

Hell, Seth was in Star Wars too....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
11-09-2017, 09:26 AM
I heard Seth was supposed to be on one of the planes on 9/11 but missed his flight that morning.
Anyone know about that?
11-09-2017, 09:28 AM
(11-09-2017 09:26 AM)pablo Wrote:  I heard Seth was supposed to be on one of the planes on 9/11 but missed his flight that morning.
Anyone know about that?

I heard the same thing, but don't know if it's true. I think it was an interview with Seth himself where I heard that though.

It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.
[+] 1 user Likes reeveseb's post
11-09-2017, 09:29 AM
(11-09-2017 09:26 AM)pablo Wrote:  I heard Seth was supposed to be on one of the planes on 9/11 but missed his flight that morning.
Anyone know about that?

Yeah, I heard him talking about it in an interview.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
11-09-2017, 10:38 AM
Wow. I'm surprised it has been so well received so far.

In the earlier ST series we're led to believe humankind has moved on from concerns over property, and that seems to lead to a lot of flattened affect. But in this one people seem as doofus and petty as anyone around today, almost slapstick. In fact they seem fairly lowbrow.

Visuals were good enough and the non-human species onboard are intriguing. So I'll probably end up watching it but I may need to rag on it a bit.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
11-09-2017, 12:28 PM
(11-09-2017 10:38 AM)whateverist Wrote:  Wow. I'm surprised it has been so well received so far.

In the earlier ST series we're led to believe humankind has moved on from concerns over property, and that seems to lead to a lot of flattened affect. But in this one people seem as doofus and petty as anyone around today, almost slapstick. In fact they seem fairly lowbrow.

Visuals were good enough and the non-human species onboard are intriguing. So I'll probably end up watching it but I may need to rag on it a bit.

That seems to be a MacFarlane trademark. In "A Million on Ways To Die in The West" the characters seem a bit out of place/time - and that's part of the fun. 21st century dialogue in 19th century setting.

[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
11-09-2017, 12:46 PM
I didn't watch it, it seemed like a spoof of Star Trek, was that the intent?

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-09-2017, 12:49 PM
Not a spoof.

Galaxy Quest was a spoof.

This is more of a parallel universe with wittier dialog.

[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post