The Orville

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-09-2017, 07:38 PM
RE: The Orville
I thought it was incredibly unfunny but I was also impressed by the cgi and production quality. The better it looked as I watched and realized how top shelf it was, the more disappointed I was...I didn't watch it with the intention of being a debbie downer but the story and characters seemed really weak and silly. Might give it one more week.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post
11-09-2017, 09:54 PM
(11-09-2017 09:28 AM)reeveseb Wrote:  
(11-09-2017 09:26 AM)pablo Wrote:  I heard Seth was supposed to be on one of the planes on 9/11 but missed his flight that morning.
Anyone know about that?

I heard the same thing, but don't know if it's true. I think it was an interview with Seth himself where I heard that though.
I've heard him say it a couple times. But McFarlane stresses while he did have a ticket for the flight he "missed." He says it was because he had a new assistant that booked him an early flight Seth had no intention of ever being up early enough for. That's why he's lax on the having really missed it part. And certainly no miracle as Christians want to paint those anecdotes.

I didn't like the too fish out of water Mil ways in the west comedy, I don't think I'll watch this, haven't liked his comedy since the original family guy run that much. Some alright bits but noting special.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
11-09-2017, 10:21 PM
(11-09-2017 07:38 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  I thought it was incredibly unfunny but I was also impressed by the cgi and production quality. The better it looked as I watched and realized how top shelf it was, the more disappointed I was...I didn't watch it with the intention of being a debbie downer but the story and characters seemed really weak and silly. Might give it one more week.

I really liked it. It's intended to be a little silly, but maybe it's like when you take a sip or bite of something and it wasn't at all what you expected. Take another taste with a better understanding of what it's meant to be (and what it isn't meant to be.)
12-09-2017, 08:29 PM
I just finished watching it online thru city tv toronto . I'm glad I found it cause I don't have cable any more and I was really looking forward to it.

I like Seth's humour and I knew it would pull a lot of things from star trek (which I like a lot). The CGI was good, the scene music seemed a bit cheesy, and for an opening episode you'd think it would have been longer to build up some of the characters & background story. But I'd give it an 8/10.

I'm looking forward to more episodes.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
13-09-2017, 04:03 AM
I'm going to have to go against the grain on this one.
I thought it sucked.

CGI was fantastic
I'm sure all the actors are probably very good at acting, but for me, the writing and jokes were extremely lame and unfunny.

For all those that enjoyed it, I hope it lasts and you have a great show to enjoy for several seasons.
I personally have no desire to watch again.

I love Family Guy. I think Seth has a great sense of humor on that show. I just didn't see it translate here.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
13-09-2017, 09:51 AM
I was hoping it would be a bit more "edgy"
It seemed OK.
Not something I'm likely to stick with personally.
TV is officially in a full on suck mode now.
Worse than ever.
Breaking Bad is gone.
Justified is gone.
Better Call Saul is in off season (which only has me sort of on board. Last season was a bit of a let down but it will probably be better next season)
I can't stand Zombie bull crap.
Basically there is just nothing that I look forward to.
I'm hoping some of the web streaming series will come soon.
True Detective and Bosch and Goliath for instance.
I was liking Catastrophe also but the seasons are very short.
Sneaky Pete was OK first season. Hoping it keeps going.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
13-09-2017, 05:55 PM
(11-09-2017 10:21 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(11-09-2017 07:38 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  I thought it was incredibly unfunny but I was also impressed by the cgi and production quality. The better it looked as I watched and realized how top shelf it was, the more disappointed I was...I didn't watch it with the intention of being a debbie downer but the story and characters seemed really weak and silly. Might give it one more week.

I really liked it. It's intended to be a little silly, but maybe it's like when you take a sip or bite of something and it wasn't at all what you expected. Take another taste with a better understanding of what it's meant to be (and what it isn't meant to be.)

I'm going to give it another shot Sunday, sometimes things have to grow on you.

[+] 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post
14-09-2017, 02:31 PM
I've only seen bits and pieces of it, but it seems to have been universally panned by the critics. This is one of the more forgiving (LOL) critiques...

How Seth MacFarlane Could Save His Terminally Bland Star Trek Clone The Orville.

Red Dwarf anybody?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
14-09-2017, 02:35 PM
Yeah, and the critics hated Star Trek, which got cancelled after 3 seasons.

Critics were invented to give people born without critical thinking skills an opinion.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
18-09-2017, 05:17 PM
Okay, anybody watch the second episode? I want to feel it but I'm just not feelin' it. Besides the adult inuendos it was like watching something on Nickolodeon or the Disney Channel.