The Paleo Diet Delusion: Paleofantasy's Marlene Zuk on Dietary Myths

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-04-2013, 12:46 PM
The Paleo Diet Delusion: Paleofantasy's Marlene Zuk on Dietary Myths

Nonsense is nonsense, but the history of nonsense is a very important science.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-04-2013, 01:27 PM
RE: The Paleo Diet Delusion: Paleofantasy's Marlene Zuk on Dietary Myths
That blonde chick evolved to be super hot! Drooling

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
22-04-2013, 04:36 PM
The argument of paleo diet is only partially convincing.
A 100 thousand years ago there was one blood type, zero. Likely zero negative
Other blood types A and B appeared among wheat and milk-eating civilizations. It is not likely what the AB type is accustomed to, my guess is capitalism.

Now, how do I update my blood type? I wanna cheezburgerz.
22-04-2013, 04:38 PM
(22-04-2013 04:36 PM)Luminon Wrote:  The argument of paleo diet is only partially convincing.
A 100 thousand years ago there was one blood type, zero. Likely zero negative
Other blood types appeared among wheat and milk-eating civilizations. It is not likely what the AB type is accustomed to, my guess is capitalism.

Now, how do I update my blood type? I wanna cheezburgerz.

Blood type and diet? I don't think so.

Do you have any citations from reputable journals? Because this sounds like more woo-woo pseudo-science crap.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
22-04-2013, 04:50 PM (This post was last modified: 22-04-2013 04:54 PM by Luminon.)
(22-04-2013 04:38 PM)Chas Wrote:  Blood type and diet? I don't think so.

Do you have any citations from reputable journals? Because this sounds like more woo-woo pseudo-science crap.
Maybe it's just a correlation, not causation. But the video up there seemed to imply that things like ability to digest milk and wheat (gluten and casein splitting enzymes or something) is genetic. Blood types are genetic too. Maybe they're just controlled by the same gene, one gene can control multiple changes... (sorry, it's late in the night and I write faster than I think, I actually knew that. Now I realize where I had read about the gluten and casein-free diets, from autism books)

But yes, there's a pseudoscience based around that.
The blood type diet is a nutritional diet advocated by Peter D'Adamo, outlined in his book Eat Right 4 Your Type. D'Adamo claims that ABO blood type is the most important factor in determining a healthy diet and recommends distinct diets for each blood type.

The most important factor? WTF? Undecided He's not even trying to sound scientific. He's making his claim overly important to turn all the money in his direction.;
22-04-2013, 04:55 PM
(22-04-2013 04:50 PM)Luminon Wrote:  
(22-04-2013 04:38 PM)Chas Wrote:  Blood type and diet? I don't think so.

Maybe it's just a correlation, not causation. But the video up there seemed to imply that things like ability to digest milk and wheat (gluten and casein splitting enzymes or something) is genetic. Blood types are genetic too. Maybe they're just controlled by the same gene, one gene can control multiple changes...

But yes, there's a pseudoscience based around that.
The blood type diet is a nutritional diet advocated by Peter D'Adamo, outlined in his book Eat Right 4 Your Type. D'Adamo claims that ABO blood type is the most important factor in determining a healthy diet and recommends distinct diets for each blood type.

The most important factor? WTF? Undecided No need to read further. He's making his claim overly important to turn all the money in his direction.;

Complete and utter woo. There is absolutely no basis in fact for a causative correlation between blood type and lactose tolerance.
Blood types are genetically far older than widespread lactose tolerance.
Lactose tolerance was selected for by survival advantage in herding societies.

Please explain blood groups in non-human species.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
22-04-2013, 04:56 PM
The Paleo Diet has it exactly backwards.

Eat lots of cooked, vegetables, and have a bit of meat. Not the other way around.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post