The Parental Guilt Trip

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-08-2013, 09:43 AM
RE: The Parental Guilt Trip
I will never understand how people can really believe things like that...you can pray your blindness away? How's that work? If you can pray it away she has to accept that it's that same god that made you blind...ask her about that.

In a class I took a couple years ago there was an extreme fundamentalist in the class (it was a class on Deaf Culture) who resented having to help her mother out and thought her childhood had been taken away because of her mother being deaf and her having to pitch in. Same, it's all about God woman, told a young girl in the class who was going deaf that it was because she was being punished by god for being a lesbian. Then she told the man in class, who has Dwarfism, that his parents were being punished for something they did and that's why he was a dwarf.

We never got to the topic of god punishing her and/or her mother regarding the mother's hearing loss. Or the fact that she hadn't prayed enough to get god to restore her mother's hearing.

Either way, some people think god causes things and some think he heals things. Not a realistic view but sadly it's firmly held by a lot of people.

Until you can get out on your own, you are probably going to have to deal with some stuff if you can't make your mother understand that the things she says aren't helpful, but are hurtful.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2013, 09:57 AM
Today has been a day when I've just felt like crying she just seems to hate me lately
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-08-2013, 09:59 AM
(09-08-2013 09:57 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Today has been a day when I've just felt like crying she just seems to hate me lately

I think she is still a pungent shit for taking advantage of you, don't get me wrong, but just know that the reason she is obsessing about this issue is because she believes she is trying to "save" your soul. Whatever that is supposed to mean.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
09-08-2013, 10:12 AM
(09-08-2013 09:57 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Today has been a day when I've just felt like crying she just seems to hate me lately

My best advice to you is to try to find someone else who cares about you, somebody who can protect you and care for you. Do you have any friends or relatives who can fit that description? If I were your best friend and had the time and resources, I would gladly help you untill you could stand on your own and live independently.

Your mother might not be evil, but she just doesn't understand that what's good for her isn't the same for you, and as long as she thinks that way, you can never rely on her. I suggest you stay low for now, don't start any fights before you have a plan B to go to. Remember, you might not say it, but that doesn't mean you're not thinking it. Good luck.

[Image: 9f6.gif]
09-08-2013, 10:23 AM
(09-08-2013 10:12 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  

My best advice to you is to try to find someone else who cares about you, somebody who can protect you and care for you. Do you have any friends or relatives who can fit that description? If I were your best friend and had the time and resources, I would gladly help you untill you could stand on your own and live independently.

Your mother might not be evil, but she just doesn't understand that what's good for her isn't the same for you, and as long as she thinks that way, you can never rely on her. I suggest you stay low for now, don't start any fights before you have a plan B to go to. Remember, you might not say it, but that doesn't mean you're not thinking it. Good luck.

Thank you. I may stay with a some friends for a while and see if I can try sell off the good silver grandma left me.
09-08-2013, 10:31 AM
(09-08-2013 10:23 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  
(09-08-2013 10:12 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  My best advice to you is to try to find someone else who cares about you, somebody who can protect you and care for you. Do you have any friends or relatives who can fit that description? If I were your best friend and had the time and resources, I would gladly help you untill you could stand on your own and live independently.

Thank you. I may stay with a some friends for a while and see if I can try sell off the good silver grandma left me.

My best friend who comes from a very christian familiy ( he's Nigerian, so it's pretty tradition for his familiy). He got in a fight with his dad and was kicked out the household for almost week because he refused to give his mother a hug. Yes, I am dead serious. He had a friend nearby he could stay with for that week while his parents calmed down. He worries more today about the day me must admit he doesn't believe. It's gotta be hard, and that's why I recommend you to stay low; for now...

[Image: 9f6.gif]
09-08-2013, 10:33 AM
(09-08-2013 10:31 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(09-08-2013 10:23 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Thank you. I may stay with a some friends for a while and see if I can try sell off the good silver grandma left me.

My best friend who comes from a very christian familiy ( he's Nigerian, so it's pretty tradition for his familiy). He got in a fight with his dad and was kicked out the household for almost week because he refused to give his mother a hug. Yes, I am dead serious. He had a friend nearby he could stay with for that week while his parents calmed down. He worries more today about the day me must admit he doesn't believe. It's gotta be hard, and that's why I recommend you to stay low; for now...
K