The Paris Climate Accord / Trump's Exit (merged)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-05-2017, 02:44 PM
RE: the Paris Climate Accord
"A couple years ago, I was at the international summit in Paris where 196 countries came together and agreed to combat climate change by reducing harmful greenhouse gas emissions. That landmark event was a global recognition of the fact that climate change is a man-made, existential threat to the planet that demands broad international action.

"So let’s be clear: if President Trump officially backs out of this agreement, he’s not simply ignoring scientific consensus—he’s putting our children and grandchildren at risk, weakening our economy, and undermining America’s credibility and leadership around the world.

"I strongly urge President Trump to think hard before he decides to put the bottom lines of his friends in the fossil fuel industry ahead of the health of our planet and the safety and security of the American people."

-- Senator Al Franken
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
31-05-2017, 03:16 PM
(31-05-2017 02:14 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(31-05-2017 12:45 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  One way technology could help is to find ways to reduce CO2 emissions, etc., but he doesn't think that's necessary. He's sure that we will find some magic technological fix.

Facepalm

I recently read Bill Nye the Science Guy's book Unstoppable, about applying technological solutions to climate change. He is also an optimist, though not as extreme as your friend. He made the case for sustainable energy sources, of course. But he also thought things like air-seawater hydrosols (to increase the reflectivity of seawater), carbon nanotubes (for increased efficiency of electric transmission lines), graphene sheets (for more energy-efficient sea water to fresh water conversion), and nuclear fission to be real possibilities, even though none of them are as-of-yet proven technologies. The truth is, we can't wait too long before we do something dramatic to reduce climate change, and most undeveloped technological solutions have long lead-times.

I like the fact that Nye is making specific suggestions. My friend, on the other hand, just has a "What, me worry?" attitude -- "Technology will fix it."

The other thing, as you point out, is the time lag, and the fact that we're already well into it. We can't just wait around for technology to magically "fix it". We have to take steps immediately, before it's too late (if it's not already too late). This has been building for a century or more, and the effects of it will be with us for a century or more to come, even if we take immediate steps. If we don't, it will be much worse.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
31-05-2017, 03:36 PM
(31-05-2017 02:32 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  "California Gov. Jerry Brown, one of the nation’s foremost proponents of efforts to address climate change, on Wednesday called President Donald Trump’s planned withdrawal from the Paris climate accord 'outrageous,' while predicting its effect will be short-lived. 'This current departure from reality in Washington will be very short-lived, that I promise you,' Brown told POLITICO in an interview. 'I’ve spoken with Republicans here in the legislature, and they’re beginning to get very serious about climate action, so the momentum is all the other way. And I think Trump, paradoxically, is giving climate denial such a bad name that he’s actually building the very movement that he is [purporting] to undermine.'"

"News of the president’s decision drew ire from Democrats and environmental groups across the country, nowhere more so than in California, where the state Senate hours later passed major climate legislation requiring utilities to obtain 100 percent of their electricity from renewable sources by 2045."

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/31...eal-238993

New York City's mayor is kinda telling trump to fuck off.

Quote:New York Mayor Bill de Blasio (D) promised Wednesday that his city would uphold the Paris climate agreement even if President Trump moves forward with his campaign promise to withdraw from the accord.

In a series of tweets, de Blasio ripped Trump's reported decision to exit the deal as "horribly destructive" and called climate change "a dagger aimed straight at the heart of New York City."

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/335773-...ump-doesnt

The thing with California having its own global warming standards is that it's 1/5 of the US economy. Cars (California is one of the biggest buyers in the world) and other producers of goods, aren't going to make two different products, one to comply with California and one for the rest of the country. They'll go with the largest state economy in the US.

Hey trump! Up yours with a giggy stick!

It's really unfortunate Jerry Brown wasn't younger and couldn't run for president in the last election. I'd vote for him in a heartbeat. Unlike most politicians he's REALLY intelligent, REALLY smart and is tough as nails.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
31-05-2017, 03:58 PM
First heatwave in Central Europe at the end of may. In my living memory temperatures never rose over 30 degrees celsius at this time of the year. Confirmed by meterologists.

This dumbass only show his dumbassery in yet another field. He's the hero of the uneducated, which is hardly surprising, given that he's an uneducated brute himself.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post
31-05-2017, 05:35 PM
(31-05-2017 08:45 AM)Cypher44 Wrote:  Donald Trump to pull out of Paris climate agreement, which Obama signed in 2016 alongside 195 countries, so far only Nicaragua and Syria have declined, the focus of the agreement was to reduce the world's temperature by 1.5 degrees Celsius has been effective since 4 November 2016

Donald Trump, has on multiple occasions denounced climate change as a "hoax"
source :

[Image: Donald-Trump-climate-change.jpg]

[Image: Trump-climate-change-tweet-3-889x605.jpg]

[Image: donald-trump-climate-change-denial-tweet.jpg]

Your thoughts?

Here in the Dallas area we had roughly ten days of what could be considered winter weather between 2016 and 2017 and I am really stretching it to get to that many days.

I wonder if tRump knows where Texas is? Consider

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
31-05-2017, 05:43 PM
It makes no long-term difference what this fool does about the Paris Agreement. He can't possibly get re-elected, and anything he does faces reversal in 3.5 years. I suspect the leaders in Europe may know that.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
01-06-2017, 02:15 AM
(31-05-2017 05:43 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  He can't possibly get re-elected, and anything he does faces reversal in 3.5 years. I suspect the leaders in Europe may know that.

Why can't he be reelected? He may fall over all the investigations going on, but reelection isn't that outlandish. All he's got to do is start another major war or to provoke someone to attack, and the patriotic machine starts running again. Same as with Shrub, where a lot of people also assumed it would be a one term mess.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post
01-06-2017, 05:55 AM
(31-05-2017 05:43 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  He can't possibly get re-elected

He's got his rabid base of supporters and impeachment remains unlikely, even with his scandals surrounding him, scandals tend to have the biggest consequences only when one's opponents have sufficient leverage to exploit them as Dick Harpootlian, a former chairman of the South Carolina Democratic Party says “If you look to Congress . . . there’s nobody there who is really generating any enthusiasm or excitement on opposing Trump."

source : Democrats lack strong voice amid Russia scandals

Also his base, like I said, remains strong, a poll released by the Pew Research Centre showing "just 7 percent of Republicans and Republican-leaning independents supporters say Trump has performed worse than they expected him to. Fully 38 percent — five times as many — say he has performed better." so he has still has his base

And also robust GOP backing. 84% of Republicans still on the Trump train

Plus, who is the alternative?

Jimmy Carter had Ronald Reagan, Trump has not got Reagan-level challenger

Oh no. He's here - God
01-06-2017, 06:02 AM
Trump and the GOP are not only denying idiots but dangerous denying idiots.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-06-2017, 06:50 AM
(01-06-2017 05:55 AM)Cypher44 Wrote:  Fully 38 percent — five times as many — say he has performed better.

To be fair, I think he's done better than I expected... we haven't actually cut diplomatic relations with other countries nor has he started a nuclear confrontation.

It isn't hard to do better than expected when expectations are that low.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 5 users Like unfogged's post