The Paris Climate Accord / Trump's Exit (merged)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-06-2017, 03:10 PM
RE: Trump is pulling out of the Paris agreement.
I read it on our news.

Is anyone really surprised? There were even CEOs of big corporations appealing to his better judgment, as if he ever possessed something like that. We're dealing with an uneducated brute. The only good thing coming out of this is China confirming that it will act according to the Paris agreement in close relationship with the EU, and that European politicians no longer feel the need to kiss the American presidents ass just because he's holding that office. That man has really achieved a lot within a short four months. More than Shrub could ever hope to achieve in terms of alienation of the rest of the world.

Although rest should be used very losely, since we're talking about 7.1 billion people against 350 million.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like abaris's post
01-06-2017, 03:16 PM
The timing was kind of funny ...we were hot and sunny here, then clouds quickly moved in, the skies opened up and it dumped about a half-inch of rain in maybe 10 minutes. It was surreal when I was driving back with a friend, because the streets were literally steaming and it looked like an apocalyptic science fiction movie for a few minutes.

(not trying to pin correlation or say anything about climate change, but the timing was amusing since it was about the same time the announcement was made ...kinda like Trump at the "wailing wall" and the announcement about a sinkhole opening up at Mar-A-Logo the same day)
01-06-2017, 03:20 PM
(01-06-2017 03:16 PM)Grauwyler Wrote:  (not trying to pin correlation or say anything about climate change, but the timing was amusing since it was about the same time the announcement was made ...kinda like Trump at the "wailing wall" and the announcement about a sinkhole opening up at Mar-A-Logo the same day)

The whole place is a stinkhole for rich farts. And it will be land under for Mar-A-Lago soon enough. Probably not in the lifetime of this idiot, but his yougest son might still see the day. Along with millions of coastal dwellers in the US alone.

01-06-2017, 03:28 PM
Climatologist Michael Mann's Facebook statement:

"By withdrawing from the Paris Climate Agreement to double-down down on a coal & fossil fuel energy agenda, Trump has engaged in unilateral disarmament in the economic arms race that is the transition to clean energy.

"Other nations like China and the European Union now take the lead in global leadership, moral authority, and economic competitiveness.

"The challenge of averting dangerous and irreversible climate change and massive coastal inundation, devastating floods and droughts, is that much more an uphill climb with Trump's pullout from the Paris agreement.

"Trump's pullout from Paris is bad for jobs. There are only about 70,000 coal jobs left in the U.S. and they are diminishing rapidly. Meanwhile, jobs in clean energy are nearing a million and growing rapidly.

"So Trump's actions are bad for jobs, bad for U.S. global competitiveness, and bad for the planet."
[+] 6 users Like Thoreauvian's post
01-06-2017, 03:34 PM
Towards the beginning of the speech, he said that "if the obstructionist democrats want to sit down with him and hammer out some changes, we can stay in. Or, we can just hammer out changes. Or, we can leave and start something new."

This part seems to be getting lost... he's going to blame the dems for it all when it goes wrong, because they obstructed and would not sit down with him.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
01-06-2017, 03:41 PM
(01-06-2017 03:34 PM)Dom Wrote:  This part seems to be getting lost... he's going to blame the dems for it all when it goes wrong, because they obstructed and would not sit down with him.

In this case, the whole world is against him. The plans - for lack of a better word - for what he calls hammering out something new, will not be supported by the other states having signed the agreement. He wants to be shot of the restrictions and that's something nobody in their right minds can possibly sign.

It all depends on how the American networks will cover the issue. I have a pretty good idea about Fox, but the others should have a harder time explaining that away.

01-06-2017, 03:46 PM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2017 09:24 PM by Bucky Ball.)
This train has already left the station. Trump getting off, will have no long term effect on climate change. They can't really pull out of this until November 2020. By then, a new pres will have been elected. It's the last gasp of a dying breed of stupid old men. Fossil fuels are more expensive now than cheaper, cleaner alternatives. Coal is never coming back, no matter what Dumpy says or does. Societal pressure on companies to be 'green" does not all of a sudden stop, because some stupid old men wave their tiny wands with their tiny hands. This too shall pass.

Edit : I think he may have done this to make it appear he's *done something* (anything).
Health care is a disaster, his budget is a joke, his travel ban is blocked by the courts, investigations pop up every hour.
He can point to this as something he actually got done.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 6 users Like Bucky Ball's post
01-06-2017, 04:05 PM
In the words of the very lovely Dr. Helen Czerski: Trump appears to be determined to leave a legacy of "America last".

It's the planet (or rather, our place on it) that I'm worried about though.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
01-06-2017, 04:13 PM
Just an aside... Is this boy not doing exactly what Putin would love? I mean, pissing off American allies, breaking agreements left right and centre. Europe is weak due to Brexit. America is weak due to Trump. Russia becomes dominant again... I think he's Putin's man bought and paid for.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
01-06-2017, 04:18 PM
I am quite irritated, is Trump leading the US back into the 20th, or rather the 19th century? Laugh out load

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post