The Pastor Is Right Outside My Door...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-08-2011, 07:31 PM
The Pastor Is Right Outside My Door...
So as some of you may have picked up on, I live with my in-laws because stuff currently sucks. They are heavily mennonite. I am obviously not..... as can be witnessed by my membership here.

We typically keep to ourselves as other than our equal distaste of all other religions, we have nothing in common. I mean I like to read, so do they, but I like to read more than just the one book over and over and over, not even the whole book really, just selected passages... you know, the good ones. I like movies, that don't star Kirk Cameron. I like guitar, but I like songs about.... not Jesus. You get the point.

I live through many annoyances that seriously challenge my typically militant anti theist beliefs, I roll on by only complaining in my head, to my friends, or to my wife. Every day my mother in law plays a christian radio station, that for a solid year has not changed it's line-up. And the line-up is short. She plays this music very loudly, walks around singing it, etc. She leaves it playing even when she's not there. They have bible study once a week that is often held at their house, and they have nightly personal bible study with just the two parents and my wife's youngest sister. They talk about god all the time. ALL THE TIME.

My biggest pet peeve is often the hypocracy I often witness, from the words in the "good book" to the actions of it's followers. I'm sure you all grasp what I mean by that or you likely wouldn't be here. My biggest issue with them is their oppressive attitude towards their beliefs. From the first day we got here I could feel it. The heavy weight in the house. I became seriously depressed for a while not really knowing why. It was the vibe. (our situation isn't great either but I'm used to things of that nature) The aura if you will, was burying me. My wife who had grown up in the house didn't understand. She didn't even notice anymore. There is more to it other than the religious atmosphere that brings down the vibe, but it all comes back to that. The don't know how anti theist I am. They won't until we are gone, because I don't think it's very polite to bring up my issues with them, even though the things they do tend to affect us in many ways. Not while I live in their house anyhow.
I think it will be funny given the amount of literature I've collected recently that goes against the things they believe, that will be sitting openly around my place when we move out. It will be funny because they will visit and I won't hide them.

Wow I'm rambling. Ok so back to the title of my novel... The pastor is right outside my door. He apparently decided to come over on a whim while my mother in-law was helping out at the church for vacation bible school :'( He just said, "Cindy (that's her name) I'm going to come over at six today." who does that first off? Just invites themselves? Asshole.
So he's here, and he sounds like an asshole. I'm pretty sure he's attempting to work up to asking for some money or free labor as the church so often does. He sounds exactly like a used car salesman. I need to go to the bathroom, but to get there I have to travel through the room that they are speaking in. I don't want to get roped into a conversation that I won't feel comfortable being in as the end result will leave everyone feeling uncomfortable. I'm also sure it would end in me yelling. So I hold it in like any man must do on occasion. I'm a prisoner.

On a side note I was at Tim Hortons the other day and I was sitting in front of a couple dudes, one older the other young like me. I eavesdropped due to boredom and had to fight from assaulting the older man with words.
He turned out to be a youth pastor for some nearby menno church. He was also an asshole. He spent the majority of his time chatting by making fun of people he knew that he worked with, that were volunteers, that were also pastors. So many people. He had an especially strong dislike of guys with long hair. Odd. The rest of the time he spent complaining about his job. While interlacing how much he loved his congregation... Also the youngster kept saying how he could help spread the word in his college, but kept getting told by the older gentleman that he disliked the colleges. He said that there were few to be gained from schools, and those would surely turn back in time as they always did for him. I almost laughed at that. Of course they would, college is a time for exploration surely, but it's also a place of LEARNING.

This post is long. I apologize.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-08-2011, 07:47 PM

RE: The Pastor Is Right Outside My Door...
Someone really needed to vent eh? I feel ya. Its sometimes overwhelming the amount of religiosity we must tolerate. I have no advice, there are times I want to rip my own hair out. But know you are not alone Smile and that house would drive me nuts if I lived there. Time away from that place, even for a couple hours will do you good. Best of luck.
Quote this message in a reply
18-08-2011, 08:40 PM
I feel for you, man, it's the same at my grandma's house, I used to go there all of the time as a teenager and I lived in a highly religious area (mostly protestant though). I wasn't an atheist back then, but I never really was one of the 'herd'... they kept trying to rope me in, but I think I liked science just too much.

Funny enough MD has a huge population of mennonites. Does your wife's family wear the mennonite 'get up' and drive the dark cars? The ones were I lived wore little hair net type things and long dresses.

Tim Hortons... are you located along the east coast... New York maybe? Ohio?

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
18-08-2011, 09:55 PM
No I'm red and white man. Eh.
They don't subscribe to the dress code so much, it's really the one thing they don't do. My town is full of the long skirts though. I laugh everytime I see them because I can't help but think of star wars.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
18-08-2011, 10:01 PM
I'm interested to know whether your wife has totally "let go?" Thanks for sharing....please keep venting....its a good story. PS I don't think we have this mob in Australia....I'll have to read up on them
18-08-2011, 10:10 PM
(18-08-2011 10:01 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  I'm interested to know whether your wife has totally "let go?" Thanks for sharing....please keep venting....its a good story. PS I don't think we have this mob in Australia....I'll have to read up on them

Mennonites are an offshoot of Amish, so they are a Calvinist type faith.

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
18-08-2011, 10:52 PM
Wow. I can just feel the frustration--and the oppressive atmosphere in that house.

It's clear you need to get out of there, but I know you know that. I hope circumstances turn around for you soon so you and your wife be able to leave and have your own place. In the meantime, make do with a bad situation as best you can (which may include locking your door and getting ear plugs so you don't have to listen to your in-laws' crap all the time) and keep in mind that it's not forever.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
18-08-2011, 11:23 PM
I feel for you! My in laws are mennonite too, that is their home to a T! My father in law was raised on a colony (which ran quite like an Amish one) and broke away at 16, but still holds a lot of the same tradition. In the past I've been known to DREAD the in law visits, but I've gotten used to them now. I just chuckle mostly. I have some good stories, too. Our last visit was particularly long and by the end it was actually my husband who had enough.

My biggest unsolicited advice would be to get out and away a lot. Find interests, even if it's going for long walks or something. It's what I'd do, anyway.

I live in a small Canadian town too, I hear the same tim's conversations as well Smile.
19-08-2011, 01:38 AM
I found this on a Catholic website:

"About 1620 the Swiss Mennonites split into Amish or Upland Mennonites and Lowland Mennonites. The former differ from the latter in the belief that excommunication dissolves marriage, in their rejection of buttons and of the practice of shaving."

Hey you must be relieved you didn't have to throw out that favorite cardigan or your electric shaver! LOL
19-08-2011, 04:29 AM
Damn, what a way to frustrate yourself every day... Look, you have a great opportunity here, meditation and self-control. You should see this situation as a challenge, the same way religious people see sin and pleasure as a challenge they must resist, so can you see their religious beliefs as something you must learn to control and ignore. It's like a Jedi warrior meditates and removes all his anger while fighting an opponent of the dark side, so must you meditate and remove all your ... hmmm ... intelligence? I can find the right thing you should do in this case, but it has to do with meditation and you being calm, relaxed and without stress while "they" are trying to pull you to the dark side. Stay with the Light, remove your fears and anger, young padawan.

I guess you do know that it is imperative for you and your wife to get the f*** out of that house as soon as it is physically possible? If we were gathering donations here, I would be the first to give you some money to help you speed up the process of getting the f*** out...

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post