The Perfect Ideal World Created By Science

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-06-2014, 03:17 AM
RE: The Perfect Ideal World Created By Science
(03-06-2014 06:03 AM)Mozart Link Wrote:  In conclusion, I wish to know if my post sort of changed your views as an atheist (not in terms of being someone who is more religious), but in other ways? If so or if not, could you explain why?

Shocking Really don't entirely get it, but I'll try a response.

In short,

I'm not atheist because of science, more because of non-scientific literature, lots and lost of literature.

Your logic is so . . um. damned odd to me, an atheist.

Your post validated my beliefs--thanks.

Enough said--tada, trala, mosey on humming, a little whistle, thinking about my art, la, la, tee hee, off I go not to return.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2014, 03:20 AM
(04-06-2014 04:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-06-2014 03:23 AM)Mozart Link Wrote:  Now let me just say this in conclusion which is that for anyone who has a normal pleasurable life, it might seem to that person that a perfect life of pleasure and immortality might devalue any worth that life and pleasure have. But for someone who has one of the worst lives with severe chronic depression, then having the perfect life of pleasure with immortality would likely mean everything to this person and there would be nothing wrong with it. This would be my case as I have chronic depression.

Yeah, and if wishes were horses, beggars would ride.

You are not making any kind of argument - you are just fantasizing.

Yes, a fantasy. I've got it. Strike my last post.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
06-06-2014, 04:00 AM
(06-06-2014 01:56 AM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  I have actually stopped talking to people who found out I was in philosophy and really wanted to argue the Kalam.

And they were in philosophy. If you're in philosophy, and don't see a problem with ontological arguments, something is wrong.

I can recall my reaction the first time I heard that class of argument.

It was something like, "Seriously? You find that convincing? It's fucking word play and nothing more."

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
06-06-2014, 10:33 PM
Ontological arguments are not circular reasoning the same way Coby electronics aren't reverse-engineered Sony knockoffs.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
07-06-2014, 11:48 AM
(04-06-2014 12:15 PM)Mozart Link Wrote:  Let me put it this way. If I had a choice to either be a human being or be a blob that can do absolutely nothing but experience unlimited perfect pleasure in life, I would choose to be a blob as I find that pleasure is the only thing that matters and nothing else in life has any value (except for helping others in need as that is something that has value regardless if you experience pleasure from it or not).

But if all you could do was experience pleasure, how would you know you were experiencing it? Don't you need some pain in order to know what pleasure is? I know something is pleasurable because I've experienced things that are not.

There is no "I" in "team" but there is a broken and mixed up "me."
07-06-2014, 02:15 PM
(04-06-2014 03:40 PM)Mozart Link Wrote:  So what it really comes down to is that all of us are entitled to our own views here and no amount of reasoning can change them.

As long as you understand that your views and beliefs probably don't comport with reality.

Quote:I truly believe that my views are not that of some spoiled whiny cowering brat, but some higher perception of my own inspired by the world of fantasy I love and would be the ideal inspiration for others as well, but apparently it's not.

You joined a forum filled with people that care whether our beliefs are true, or at least likely to be true. We tend to only believe things that are supported by demonstrable evidence and reasoned argument. We want our internal map of reality to correspond as closely as possible to observed reality.

Believing things because they are "inspired by the world of fantasy [you] love" is not a path to truth. Explain how that is not just gullibility?
[+] 2 users Like Simon Moon's post
07-06-2014, 05:28 PM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2014 06:03 PM by Mozart Link.)
(07-06-2014 02:15 PM)Simon Moon Wrote:  
(04-06-2014 03:40 PM)Mozart Link Wrote:  So what it really comes down to is that all of us are entitled to our own views here and no amount of reasoning can change them.

As long as you understand that your views and beliefs probably don't comport with reality.

Quote:I truly believe that my views are not that of some spoiled whiny cowering brat, but some higher perception of my own inspired by the world of fantasy I love and would be the ideal inspiration for others as well, but apparently it's not.

You joined a forum filled with people that care whether our beliefs are true, or at least likely to be true. We tend to only believe things that are supported by demonstrable evidence and reasoned argument. We want our internal map of reality to correspond as closely as possible to observed reality.

Believing things because they are "inspired by the world of fantasy [you] love" is not a path to truth. Explain how that is not just gullibility?
I am a person who has no value towards what reality actually is and only has value towards my own perceptions over reality. I value my perception of fantasy and a fantasy world of perfection with immortality over reality despite knowing the fact that none of those things are true and will never be. Many people would ask something like why should I even value these things over reality in the first place if none of these things exist and will never exist. The answer to that would be, again, because I value perceiving this world of fantasy over reality anyway. And this makes me a better person than what my "reality counterpart" would be since, to me, I feel that this world of fantasy is superior to reality in my own personal view. In other words, I have an attitude and perception as well as emotions that I view as superior to the attitude and perception and emotions I would have if I wasn't inspired by such fantasy and was "of reality."
07-06-2014, 06:10 PM
Another post where you just regurgitate what you have already said verbatim? For a kid with delusions of high fantasy you sure are boring.
[+] 3 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
07-06-2014, 06:44 PM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2014 08:28 PM by rampant.a.i..)
(07-06-2014 05:28 PM)Mozart Link Wrote:  
(07-06-2014 02:15 PM)Simon Moon Wrote:  As long as you understand that your views and beliefs probably don't comport with reality.

I am a person who has no value towards what reality actually is and only has value towards my own perceptions over reality. I value my perception of fantasy and a fantasy world of perfection with immortality over reality despite knowing the fact that none of those things are true and will never be. Many people would ask something like why should I even value these things over reality in the first place if none of these things exist and will never exist. The answer to that would be, again, because I value perceiving this world of fantasy over reality anyway. And this makes me a better person than what my "reality counterpart" would be since, to me, I feel that this world of fantasy is superior to reality in my own personal view. In other words, I have an attitude and perception as well as emotions that I view as superior to the attitude and perception and emotions I would have if I wasn't inspired by such fantasy and was "of reality."

Word fruit salad.

Also, this:

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 1 user Likes rampant.a.i.'s post
07-06-2014, 07:59 PM
Wow, this thread is really, colossally stupid.

I'm going to go boil my head.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 2 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post