The Perfect Ideal World Created By Science

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-06-2014, 03:44 PM
RE: The Perfect Ideal World Created By Science
(08-06-2014 02:39 PM)Mozart Link Wrote:  Go ahead and address the previous post I just made because I believe that people like me (who won't harm themselves or anyone else and such) have every right to believe in religion and to have a sense of superiority and enlightenment (again, not in terms of feeling superior to others, but just having this sense in general from religion and such).

This is called delusions of grandeur

I myself write fantasy novels and short stories in my spare time. I understand the joy of creating a great scene and imaging how that scene might play out.

Most people who believe in a god, believe that god is REAL, when more than likely (and I say this kindly) it's not.
You can have all the fantasy life you want as long as you accept it as fantasy and don't start believing it's real like most religious people do.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Rahn127's post
08-06-2014, 04:46 PM
(08-06-2014 01:00 PM)Mozart Link Wrote:  
(08-06-2014 12:53 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  If someone was to set you on fire and you proceed to pretended that you were not on fire, and continued to act as if you were not on fire, believed that you were not on fire would you or would you not burn?[/b]
In that case, it would be good to recognize the reality of the situation. But in situations where not recognizing the reality of situation does no harm ...

Yup we are gonna stop right here lad. You are delusional and because of that you are not in a position to judge what is and is not harmful. The fact that something is not immediately harmful does not mean it's not harmful in the long run or in a psychological way. On top of that you are unable to consistently apply your own beliefs to yourself which is a good indicator they are poorly thought out beliefs.

It is ALWAYS good to recognize the reality of the situation. Ignoring life's problems and not dealing with them means you're gonna be exceptionally incompetent in dealing with reality once reality progresses to a point you can no longer ignore it. You are poorly immunized to hardship. What you are doing is taking sugar pills to fight a brain tumor. It's not helpful, even if it makes you feel better in the short term.

Once again, and I will happily repeat this until your cowardly juvenile ass gets it, you have the thinking, methodology, and rationality of a fucking Heroin addict. It's not impressive and sure does not make you superior. It makes you a junkie.
[+] 5 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
08-06-2014, 07:04 PM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2014 08:10 PM by Mozart Link.)
(08-06-2014 04:46 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(08-06-2014 01:00 PM)Mozart Link Wrote:  In that case, it would be good to recognize the reality of the situation. But in situations where not recognizing the reality of situation does no harm ...

Yup we are gonna stop right here lad. You are delusional and because of that you are not in a position to judge what is and is not harmful. The fact that something is not immediately harmful does not mean it's not harmful in the long run or in a psychological way. On top of that you are unable to consistently apply your own beliefs to yourself which is a good indicator they are poorly thought out beliefs.

It is ALWAYS good to recognize the reality of the situation. Ignoring life's problems and not dealing with them means you're gonna be exceptionally incompetent in dealing with reality once reality progresses to a point you can no longer ignore it. You are poorly immunized to hardship. What you are doing is taking sugar pills to fight a brain tumor. It's not helpful, even if it makes you feel better in the short term.

Once again, and I will happily repeat this until your cowardly juvenile ass gets it, you have the thinking, methodology, and rationality of a fucking Heroin addict. It's not impressive and sure does not make you superior. It makes you a junkie.
I'm going to analyze this from a scientific viewpoint. The more pleasure you have and the less stress you have in life, the stronger the pleasure circuits in your brain will be and the weaker the stress circuit will be. Therefore, if you use delusion in escaping stressors of life, wouldn't this be a good thing because the comfort and such that you get from these delusions strengthens the pleasure circuitry in the brain and keeps the stress circuitry weak which is what would later give you a good chance of eventually facing and overcoming a stressor in life that can't be escaped from using delusion? Since obviously it's a scientific fact that pleasure overcomes stress and the more pleasure you have, the more you will be able to overcome stress.

When you face a stressor in life without having any delusion to escape from it, the situation in terms of emotional well-being would be the same as having such a delusion in the sense that you are still using a positive outlook in combating the stressor. For example, a positive outlook you would use in combating the obvious stressor of not having a good life if you are religious is that when you die, you will have an afterlife of eternal joy. And if you are an atheist, a positive outlook you would use in combating this stressor would be making the best of the good things you have in this one and only life. Both of these situations are the same in the sense that they both use a positive outlook in combating life's stressors. One may be an escape while the other is facing the problem, but they are both the same in the sense that they ease and perhaps rid of the stress and give you a chance of overcoming other stressors in life.

But what would determine which of these perceptions would be better and give a life of greater pleasure and stress coping to a specific individual depends on how this individual's mind is wired. If this person's mind is wired in such a way that a perception of religion offers him/her a greater life of pleasure and stress coping than any such atheist perception could ever achieve, then believing in religion would be the best thing for this person. Which is why I say here that I am at a great disadvantage being an atheist since my mind is wired to achieve the best life of pleasure and stress coping through belief in religion.
08-06-2014, 08:02 PM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2014 08:41 PM by GirlyMan.)
(08-06-2014 07:04 PM)Mozart Link Wrote:  I'm going to analyze this from a scientific viewpoint.

Do you feel qualified to assume that perspective? Have you had proper training?

(08-06-2014 07:04 PM)Mozart Link Wrote:  Which is why I say here that I am at a great disadvantage being an atheist since my mind is wired to achieve the best life of pleasure and stress coping through belief in religion.

You and KingsChosen both. Me? I prefer psychotropics, they are far less debilitating.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
08-06-2014, 08:08 PM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2014 08:14 PM by WindyCityJazz.)
(03-06-2014 06:03 AM)Mozart Link Wrote:  We are not meant to live a life of perfect joy and freedom and are designed to practically be slaves of our own negative emotional responses to life's struggles.

According to creationists, a god designed it that way. If you have issues with that, then maybe you ought to take that up with that invisible man in the sky. I, on the other hand, feel no need to convince myself that a deity exists in order to comfort myself and justify my existence. I accept life for what it is. I'm only here for a short time and I want to enjoy it as much as possible, and live it the way I want. I accept the fact that I'm nothing special in the scheme of the universe. The universe was here long before our planet, and it will be here long after. One day, the sun will explode and blow our planet to bits...and the rest of the universe will still go on. It doesn't rely on us for anything. People need to just get over the fact that we're not special.

If you're looking for something focused on ridding yourself of negatives, then may I suggest Buddhism? You seem to insist on believing in the existence of deities and the supernatural though, so that wouldn't work.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
[+] 3 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
08-06-2014, 08:18 PM
(03-06-2014 06:03 AM)Mozart Link Wrote:  "We are insignificant creatures only designed for survival and to forever die in the end with no grand purpose. We are not meant to live a life of perfect joy and freedom and are designed to practically be slaves of our own negative emotional responses to life's struggles."

Pffft. .... I throw a little cinnamon on that shit and call it breakfast. You really are kind of a metaphysical pussy, aren't you? No biggie, so's KingsChosen. Drinking Beverage

#sigh
08-06-2014, 08:24 PM
(08-06-2014 08:08 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  If you're looking for something focused on ridding yourself of negatives, then may I suggest Buddhism?

Jesus was a Bodhisattva spreading The Word.

#sigh
08-06-2014, 08:36 PM
Mozart, I think I get what you're trying to say. If that's what you want, well, you gotta do you, and that's okay by me. The problem is that you're looking for support from a room full of people who are staring at the abyss and are okay with it.

You're solution is to just pretend that the abyss isn't there, and that's all fine and dandy until the day comes that your self-delusion puts my reality at risk. I'll have a different attitude at that point and it might interfere with your plan of ultimate pleasure. I've seen enough of the world to know that one's good intentions don't often meet their end.

Just sayin'....

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 4 users Like evenheathen's post
08-06-2014, 08:52 PM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2014 09:02 PM by GirlyMan.)
The Four Noble Truths.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
08-06-2014, 09:05 PM

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco