The Perfect Ideal World Created By Science

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-06-2014, 01:15 PM
RE: The Perfect Ideal World Created By Science
Mozart - How do you get out of bed ? Serious question.

When I'm in bed, it's very restful and pleasing and pleasurable. Doing anything else would be less pleasurable, but staying in bed slowly decreases in pleasure to the point that getting out of bed is more pleasurable than staying in bed.

We often do things that are pleasing one moment but when we continue to do them they can and most often will offer less and less pleasurable moments. Ask anyone who works on an assembly line.

There are lots of things that people do that aren't pleasurable but we do gain a sense of pride in the sacrifice and hard work that we have done so that others can go on enjoying their life a bit better.

There are times when I help my brother re-roof a house. It's hard work that I don't enjoy at all. Nothing about it is enjoyable, but once that new roof is on, the people living in that house will enjoy not having water drip through the ceiling. It won't cause them pleasure, but instead will end an annoying event that has been plaguing their lives. Kinda like you.

You derive pleasure from annoying others. You have this fantasy that what you believe is logical but as any computer programmer can tell you, when you have one false value in your code, it can create a cascade of errors because many other functions may depend on that initial value and when it's wrong, every decision based on it is wrong.

As skeptical thinkers we realize that we could be wrong about many of our beliefs, so we seek out evidence to help support what we believe. When the evidence changes as it can when we learn more about things, then our beliefs can also change to match the new observations.

Your fantasy view of the world will get in the way of you experiencing a true sense of enlightenment about the world. Your fantasy keeps you in one place within your mind. Our minds are free to roam the universe and make discoveries. You are limited to the discoveries within your own knowledge, within your own mind and when you don't let the real world in, all you are doing is imprisoning your own mind.

I feel sorry for you and I've encouraged a church group to pray for you.
It won't do any good, but I figure if they are praying they won't see me stealing their cars with a gang of tow trucks. They will accept it as an act of god.
"Obviously god doesn't want us driving. The Amish must have it right. Please forgive us lord."

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-06-2014, 01:28 PM
(10-06-2014 12:35 PM)Mozart Link Wrote:  I am going to add something here for people who think that atheism has more value than any amount of pleasure through religious belief. No amount of intelligence or great things we do in life will ever make up for a lack of pleasure because in order to have such value towards these things is to have pleasure in the first place (as pleasure is what allows us to give value in terms of emotion towards these things). So it would be illogical to say that these things have greater value than our pleasure. Now if you were to somehow have value towards something with no pleasure, then this value would be nothing as it is nothing more than a thought. Pleasure is what gives any notion of value life and without pleasure, it would be completely dead. Therefore, pleasure is the only thing that matters and any notion of value is just a thought and nothing more.

Here is your example for the day... no... for a lifetime:

The following are all true statements pertaining to the exact same activity performed by one single person.
I love to play guitar. = pleasure
It is embarrassingly difficult to figure out how to play a song on the guitar. = no pleasure
I suck at playing guitar. = no pleasure
I hate practicing really hard songs on guitar. = no pleasure
I feel like crap when I just can't play something correctly on the guitar. = no pleasure

All of these true statements are uttered each and every day by professional guitar players and people like myself who play only to the occasional spider in my room.

That's 4 no pleasures and 1 pleasure, by the way... Consider ... seems to be an even trade.

No pain - no gain. Got it?

Fantasy pleasure can't even begin to offset the unpleasantness of real life issues.

Life can suck all it wants out of me and I still wouldn't trade any of it for some fake eternity. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
10-06-2014, 03:07 PM
This is the sixth forum I've come across on which lil Mozart has posted the same thing.

Me thinks he doth protest too much...
[+] 3 users Like CyberLN's post
10-06-2014, 04:24 PM
(10-06-2014 03:07 PM)CyberLN Wrote:  This is the sixth forum I've come across on which lil Mozart has posted the same thing.

He's just a troll. I rarely poke them but I would hate for someone to see this idiot's pustulant nonsense and take as anything other then the moronic rambling it is. The idea of it spreading is revolting.
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
10-06-2014, 06:58 PM
(10-06-2014 04:24 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(10-06-2014 03:07 PM)CyberLN Wrote:  This is the sixth forum I've come across on which lil Mozart has posted the same thing.

He's just a troll. I rarely poke them but I would hate for someone to see this idiot's pustulant nonsense and take as anything other then the moronic rambling it is. The idea of it spreading is revolting.

Is it squishy?

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
10-06-2014, 07:06 PM
(10-06-2014 06:58 PM)Charis Wrote:  
(10-06-2014 04:24 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  He's just a troll. I rarely poke them but I would hate for someone to see this idiot's pustulant nonsense and take as anything other then the moronic rambling it is. The idea of it spreading is revolting.

Is it squishy?

I like squishy things Yes

Atir aissom atir imon
10-06-2014, 07:08 PM
(10-06-2014 06:58 PM)Charis Wrote:  
(10-06-2014 04:24 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  He's just a troll. I rarely poke them but I would hate for someone to see this idiot's pustulant nonsense and take as anything other then the moronic rambling it is. The idea of it spreading is revolting.

Is it squishy?

Squishy is ok, as long as it's not memory foam...
10-06-2014, 07:10 PM
(10-06-2014 07:08 PM)CyberLN Wrote:  
(10-06-2014 06:58 PM)Charis Wrote:  Is it squishy?

Squishy is ok, as long as it's not memory foam...

What's wrong with memory foam? My mattress is made of the stuff and it's *amazing*

Atir aissom atir imon
10-06-2014, 08:26 PM
(10-06-2014 07:10 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(10-06-2014 07:08 PM)CyberLN Wrote:  Squishy is ok, as long as it's not memory foam...

What's wrong with memory foam? My mattress is made of the stuff and it's *amazing*

Mine too, it is amazing, but I want squishy on my bed, not my philosophy :-)
10-06-2014, 09:15 PM
The Perfect Ideal World Created By Science

Sixth?

β€œIt is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes