The Perfect Ideal World Created By Science

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-06-2014, 07:42 PM
RE: The Perfect Ideal World Created By Science
(03-06-2014 07:32 PM)Mozart Link Wrote:  
(03-06-2014 07:14 PM)Chas Wrote:  Good enough for what?
Good enough in terms of trying to convince others of my beliefs. I may not be able to accomplish this, but it will be the closest thing to my goal I can achieve. Therefore, go ahead and point something out about my reasonings thus far that you still disagree with despite all the arguments I have made so far.

Which part of EVIDENCE don't you fucking understand? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
03-06-2014, 07:45 PM
(03-06-2014 05:01 PM)Mozart Link Wrote:  But I'm going to bring up my point again because it all comes down to this which is that just the act of perceiving someone as not worthy of a perfect life of immortality is, in fact, having a lesser sense of human value and worth no matter how much value and worth you have otherwise. Because if you had the best possible sense of value and worth possible, you would obviously view yourself and others as being worthy of these things. Sure, not many atheists would confer meaning and value to immortality and perfection, but again, just the act of perceiving that you're not worth it is obviously demeaning from the best possible sense of value and worth you can have. This point I have made still logically stands and there has been no one so far to logically disprove this.

Hello, Mozart Link, and welcome to TTA Shy

Perhaps you should describe to me what you think would be a "perfect immortal life".
I mean I don't want to spend even 1000 years (much less an eternity) in a sense deprivation tank, since the hallucinations my mind might come up with to entertain me would almost certainly fall short of the description of "perfect" Confused
Thus would my "perfect life" probably require outside stimuli to be produced, and maintained, for it to sustain itself, by resources that are finite, and would run out! My "perfect life" gas tank would eventually run dry.... and I might then want my life to end!

Also, simply because immortality is something you crave, doesn't mean it's something anyone else does! So if for you to have a perfect, immortal life, someone else would have to be around for you to interact with who themselves didn't want to live forever, what then? And if you valued that person's friendship enough to allow them to end what they perceived as a never-ending torture, would it then bring an end to your opinion that your never-ending existence is, in fact, perfect after all, now that your only friend is gone?

I do think we should value the lives of others as much as we value our own, but it kinda stops there for me! Forever is a LONG ass time, buddy! I mean I've done the calculations, dude; it'd take only 302.3 years of role-revealing on the second day to Smercury44 in every Forum Mafia game that could be played in that amount of time, before I just said "fuck it! I'm done with this shit!"

I'm kidding, Smerc! Tongue 517.8 years!

Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like TheGulegon's post
03-06-2014, 08:00 PM
I'll just go ahead and present this reasoning I made before:

"Immortality is perfection because your lifespan is perfect and there is no problems with it which is why you would live forever. Also, an eternal life would not devalue anything because you could either choose to be lazy and not do anything and feel less motivated knowing that this life is eternal, or you could feel empowered by it and use that empowerment to be motivated to do more things in helping others and yourself, resulting in feelings of even more empowerment for yourself and others (a positive vicious cycle of empowerment, enjoyment, and in doing more and more things for yourself and others)."

Now as for my argument as to how an eternal life would not take the value from anything away, wouldn't this be a fact because, again, it is a fact that we have choices and can choose to perceive this eternal life as something of full value?
03-06-2014, 08:05 PM
(03-06-2014 08:00 PM)Mozart Link Wrote:  I'll just go ahead and present this reasoning I made before:

"Immortality is perfection because your lifespan is perfect and there is no problems with it which is why you would live forever. Also, an eternal life would not devalue anything because you could either choose to be lazy and not do anything and feel less motivated knowing that this life is eternal, or you could feel empowered by it and use that empowerment to be motivated to do more things in helping others and yourself, resulting in feelings of even more empowerment for yourself and others (a positive vicious cycle of empowerment, enjoyment, and in doing more and more things for yourself and others)."

Now as for my argument as to how an eternal life would not take the value from anything away, wouldn't this be a fact because, again, it is a fact that we have choices and can choose to perceive this eternal life as something of full value?

And what is your point? No one's life is eternal.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-06-2014, 08:09 PM
(03-06-2014 08:00 PM)Mozart Link Wrote:  I'll just go ahead and present this reasoning I made before:

Calling your belief a "fact" does not make it a fact. This is only your opinion.

We want evidence, not opinion.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 2 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
03-06-2014, 08:09 PM

You do understand, though, that your subjective opinion that an immortal life is perfect because it is everlasting might not jive with the subjective opinion of someone who does not want to live forever, and thus thinks that an immortal life would be the exact opposite of perfect, right? To them, it might be a hell from which they could never escape!

[+] 4 users Like TheGulegon's post
03-06-2014, 11:16 PM
I cannot fathom how immortal life could ever be perfect because you have so many more opportunities to make mistakes and foster regret.

In this immortal life do you also envision the abilIity to heal from broken bones or disease or to simply not die from some horrible affliction.

Imagine an immortal jumping off a building and breaking several very painful bones and surviving in pain for years unable to move or someone else with a painful cancer.

All I can see are negative outcomes to being immortal.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
03-06-2014, 11:42 PM
Is there still no evidence? Is there still the conflation of subjective opinion with objective fact?

That's what I thought, I haven't missed anything new and/or exciting.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
04-06-2014, 12:03 AM
OP... OK so I'm worthy of immortal life? Now what? I'm not gonna *get* immortal life by just snapping my fingers. I'm happy with the idea of living for a while longer. Sure I can figure out something to do in that time... probably lots and lots of fucking... But *it ain't gonna happen anytime soon*. Or ever, probably. It's *wishful thinking*.

Here's the bit where you can tell me that though science is actually a long way away from ever solving the death issue, your little cult of woo has coincidentally figured out the ANSWER... right? You haven't actually yet stated what branch of woo you follow, as far as I can see, so kindly do, that I may know the right way Wink Or if no woo (i.e. atheist) then... I'll just carry on being me and that's all fine Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
04-06-2014, 03:23 AM
Now let me just say this in conclusion which is that for anyone who has a normal pleasurable life, it might seem to that person that a perfect life of pleasure and immortality might devalue any worth that life and pleasure have. But for someone who has one of the worst lives with severe chronic depression, then having the perfect life of pleasure with immortality would likely mean everything to this person and there would be nothing wrong with it. This would be my case as I have chronic depression.