The Perfect Love -- please tell us yours!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-09-2011, 04:34 PM
RE: The Perfect Love -- please tell us yours!
(20-09-2011 03:53 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  If I wanted to define love with a very short description, I would say: "I love someone when his/her happiness is a prerequisite of my own"

I'll return the compliment. That captures the essence of real love succinctly and beautifully.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-09-2011, 04:40 PM
(20-09-2011 02:23 PM)TitanusEramius Wrote:  Thank you again, this thread is truly inspiring, Nicky

So is your story......thank you Nicky.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
20-09-2011, 08:53 PM (This post was last modified: 20-09-2011 09:25 PM by GirlyMan.)
My concept of perfect love hasn't changed in 40 years as a little 9 year old boy listening to a Lutheran minister giving a sermon on agape. Despite the controversial origins and connotations of this word, I've had a good run with the "Many have thought that this word represents divine, unconditional, self-sacrificing, active, volitional, and thoughtful love." interpretation. Works for me.

What has changed is that little boy grew into a man capable of observing that those delivering those sermons (as well as those pretending to listen to them) by and large failed to practice what they preached and instead perverted that simple, eloquent and beautiful message into something twisted, unrecognizable and far more sinister. I still believe in this concept of all-encompassing, wide-open universal love. It's just that now I believe it first requires the sacrifice of religion. You can shoot it in its head, guillotine it, cut its heart out, starve it, or slit its throat with a rusty razor, whatever works for you. I haven't met more than a couple of religious individuals truly capable of appreciating, and hence living, this concept (in particular those who cannot let go of the obviously untenable bullshit promise of a postmortem preservation of identity). But I have met many many atheists (or, as I prefer, areligious) who just live this way naturally. Like it's a no-brainer. "Well, duh? What else would you have me do? I should be an asshole instead? Towards what purpose?" We used to call them "hippies" back in the day. They were called radicals back then, but I see them as, sooner or later, inevitably becoming representative. I mean ... it's like the goal of evolution, isn't it? I mean the process of evoultion is itself evolving and we are critical to influencing that process in ways no other species we know of can, so shouldn't we steer it in that direction? Shouldn't we?

(19-09-2011 01:07 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  Life is a trapeze act - get a reliable catcher.

Nice metaphor. Or you can test your own balance and bearings on the highwire tightrope instead. But you will inevitably and invariably fall. Then you'll be wishing you had bothered to find a reliable catcher. ... or maybe not.

@bemore "My own god."

Nice bemore. And "I am my own personal Jesus." - credit to Depeche Mode for the thought and credit to Johnny Cash for the proper, old man interpretation.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
23-09-2011, 01:03 AM
Well when I get married some day and have one kid and a few hampsters I'll be pretty happy, but what would make it perfect would be enough lip balm to last a lifetime.
23-09-2011, 10:16 PM (This post was last modified: 24-09-2011 08:40 PM by GirlyMan.)
(23-09-2011 01:03 AM)JesusLovesYou69 Wrote:  Well when I get married some day and have one kid and a few hampsters I'll be pretty happy, but what would make it perfect would be enough lip balm to last a lifetime.

Be careful with the number of hampsters ... just sayin'. ... Keep your eye on the number of hampers too. And you reach out and touch faith every time you pet your dog, cat, or whatever.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
29-09-2011, 03:27 AM
(23-09-2011 10:16 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(23-09-2011 01:03 AM)JesusLovesYou69 Wrote:  Well when I get married some day and have one kid and a few hampsters I'll be pretty happy, but what would make it perfect would be enough lip balm to last a lifetime.

Be careful with the number of hampsters ... just sayin'. ... Keep your eye on the number of hampers too. And you reach out and touch faith every time you pet your dog, cat, or whatever.

What you said is strange, I don't understand. Also, according to Christianity animals don't go to heaven or hell because they have no souls. Some people even go as far as calling them "sinners" because they do nothing but live by instinct and impulses, which is ridiculous because 'god' is supposed to have made them so why would he make them like that?
29-09-2011, 07:32 AM
What an unusual display. People willing to tell their personal stories for all to see. Human behaviour never fails to amaze me. You are all so trusting that I am at a loss.

Very well. No trolling now, only seriousness.

You must understand that love to me seems a strange thing as I am sure my basic needs for companionship are completely busted. I went through my early teens watching those around me such as older friends, brothers and my split up parents, try to find and new girlfriend/boyfriend. They failed constantly and then it was followed my so much heartbreak. I just souldn't understand why anyone would keep trying. If one touches fire it burns and one learns not t do so again. I understood that but didn't understand why they kept burning themselves. I found it foolish. I eventualy learned more than someone my age should know. I learned that all emotions are just chemical reactions and that humans are hard wired to act like this. Learning those things took all sense of "magic" out of it. I was an emotionless shell that saw little point in trying tofind happiness in others. And then I thought "Why limit those thoughts to love? Why not everything humans do?" That eventualy screwed me up to the point of insanity. Don't laugh I was really this messed up.

I only recently recovered what's left of my "humanity". Strange I know but I've decided that other peoples love and happiness is something real. If I can't have it then I will ensure that others continue to enjoy it.

So what I'm trying to say is that I can't have a perfect love now, maybye latter hopefully as it seems to be th best thing ever. I will act as a guard to others and make sure they don't do the same as me because this world doesn't need more suicides. I was lucky.

That's it. Not really related but hey whatever! everyone is revealing secret personal stuff so why shoudn't I? Take it for what it is or don't, doesn't matter to me either way.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 1 user Likes Hamata k's post
29-09-2011, 07:42 AM

(29-09-2011 07:32 AM)Hamata k Wrote:  So what I'm trying to say is that I can't have a perfect love now, maybye latter hopefully as it seems to be th best thing ever. I will act as a guard to others and make sure they don't do the same as me because this world doesn't need more suicides. I was lucky.

Sad story, Hamata k, I wish you good luck and soon! Smile
Quote this message in a reply
29-09-2011, 12:22 PM
Great thing to think about, but I don't like using the word "perfect." There is no perfect love.

Whatever satisfaction you get out of relationships with others comes from hard work, understanding, and patience from both sides. It comes from a willingness, again on both sides, to be open to this hard work, understanding, and patience. It also comes from the understanding that the terms of the relationship will change over time. It still won't be perfect. Ever. And to expect that everyone has it or will find it, is a set up for certain failure and a sad life of comparing yourself to everyone else who seem to have it "right."

Be grateful for the people in your life, romantic partners or friends or family, who try to understand you, who love you within the capacity that they can, and then give it back insomuch as *you* can. That's the best we can do, and it can be great!

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers.

- Carl Sagan
29-09-2011, 12:36 PM

(29-09-2011 12:22 PM)zaika Wrote:  Great thing to think about, but I don't like using the word "perfect." There is no perfect love.

What I meant with the title, zaika, and what Peterkin expressed so beautifully in her post: "Perfect enough".

Otherwise I totally agree with your post.

Smile
Quote this message in a reply