The Perseid Meteor Shower!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-08-2012, 10:32 PM
RE: The Perseid Meteor Shower!!
[Image: swift-tuttle.jpg]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_Swift%E2%80%93Tuttle
This picture shows the origins of the perseids. it's from a comet called Swift-Tuttle.

Getting the telescope ready for moon rise!

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like fstratzero's post
13-08-2012, 07:27 AM
I was unsuccessful in seeing them so I made a ruff photoshop image of what I'm sure they would have looked like.

[Image: 73osbl.jpg]

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
13-08-2012, 09:29 AM
Wow - not as many as the night before, but the sky was so crisp and clear! I love it when they streak across - it's crazy fast. I think my lawn lounge gets more action at night than it does during the day... I almost fell asleep out there.

I'll be driving tonight and most likely see quite a show out in the hills on my return route. Many nights out in the hills, even the Milky Way is visible - no light pollution whatsoever. If I'd thought about it... I'd have planned my vacation to include the Perseid, like I used to. I'd have taken my old camera out to the hills and just left the shutter open for a few minutes on each photo.

I would love it if one hit my house - a real big one! In fact, if anything were to fall out of the sky onto my house, that would be ok with me. A satellite would be really cool. I'm sure I'd be compensated somehow... surely I have shit-falling-from-the-sky insurance? Meh - if not, it'd be a hell of a story!! "Yep, that's the year space debris fell on my house and I moved." That's the story I want to tell!! Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 4 users Like kim's post
13-08-2012, 09:40 AM
(13-08-2012 07:27 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I was unsuccessful in seeing them so I made a ruff photoshop image of what I'm sure they would have looked like.

Not bad... but you might want to lose the Moon - too much light. Also right now, it's a crescent.
Oh, your meteors; less fantail, longer pin-point streak. Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
13-08-2012, 02:17 PM
(13-08-2012 09:40 AM)kim Wrote:  
(13-08-2012 07:27 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I was unsuccessful in seeing them so I made a ruff photoshop image of what I'm sure they would have looked like.

Not bad... but you might want to lose the Moon - too much light. Also right now, it's a crescent.

No, that's pretty much what I saw from my deck.Drinking Beverage

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
13-08-2012, 04:49 PM
(13-08-2012 02:17 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(13-08-2012 09:40 AM)kim Wrote:  Not bad... but you might want to lose the Moon - too much light. Also right now, it's a crescent.

No, that's pretty much what I saw from my deck.Drinking Beverage

Really? I know YOUR Moon was probably full... however THE Moon is currently a crescent. Dodgy

The meteors I see ... OK... it is just my opinion... they seem to be much longer, skinnier streaks than Muffs. But hey - if he wants to go through life with fantail meteors - that's OK with me. Thumbsup

The Moon is still a crescent.

[+] 2 users Like kim's post
14-08-2012, 07:24 AM (This post was last modified: 14-08-2012 07:28 AM by earmuffs.)
(13-08-2012 09:29 AM)kim Wrote:  Wow - not as many as the night before, but the sky was so crisp and clear! I love it when they streak across - it's crazy fast. I think my lawn lounge gets more action at night than it does during the day... I almost fell asleep out there.

I'll be driving tonight and most likely see quite a show out in the hills on my return route. Many nights out in the hills, even the Milky Way is visible - no light pollution whatsoever. If I'd thought about it... I'd have planned my vacation to include the Perseid, like I used to. I'd have taken my old camera out to the hills and just left the shutter open for a few minutes on each photo.

I would love it if one hit my house - a real big one! In fact, if anything were to fall out of the sky onto my house, that would be ok with me. A satellite would be really cool. I'm sure I'd be compensated somehow... surely I have shit-falling-from-the-sky insurance? Meh - if not, it'd be a hell of a story!! "Yep, that's the year space debris fell on my house and I moved." That's the story I want to tell!! Thumbsup

According to discovery channel heaps of space shit lands on earth all the time and if you go up onto your roof take a magnet.
If you run the magnet along the roof (well, just above it) you should be able to pick up small bits of magnetic space rock.
Haven't tried it but it sounds pretty cool.

And because you guys were so fickle about my artwork I present to you round two.
I've gone with no moon because you lot were arguing, so nobody gets a moon this time.

[Image: 35d19mq.jpg]

14-08-2012, 09:16 AM
(14-08-2012 07:24 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  And because you guys were so fickle about my artwork I present to you round two.
I've gone with no moon because you lot were arguing, so nobody gets a moon this time.

Kimmies is always spoilin' things. Sadcryface

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
14-08-2012, 09:43 AM
Only takes one to ruin it for everyone.

14-08-2012, 10:02 AM
(14-08-2012 07:24 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  According to discovery channel heaps of space shit lands on earth all the time and if you go up onto your roof take a magnet.
If you run the magnet along the roof (well, just above it) you should be able to pick up small bits of magnetic space rock.
Haven't tried it but it sounds pretty cool.

And because you guys were so fickle about my artwork I present to you round two.

Wow - Muffs, that is Beautiful! And intensely accurate... I can't believe you've not seen something like that. I think you would enjoy camping... you'd see a lot of incredible things.

That magnet thing sounds right up my alley - I gotta try that. I still want something really big to hit my house. If only to piss off my neighbors. Dodgy

We seem to get a lot of space crap landing in Kansas. A long time ago, my Grandpa was paid a lot of money for a meteor that landed on his farm. I see that shit all the time while driving - I've even see a couple of fire balls. I should be a meteor hunter!

Cool meteor site links:
For the US
For New Zealand