The Perseid Meteor Shower!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-08-2012, 10:05 AM
(14-08-2012 10:02 AM)kim Wrote:  
(14-08-2012 07:24 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  According to discovery channel heaps of space shit lands on earth all the time and if you go up onto your roof take a magnet.
If you run the magnet along the roof (well, just above it) you should be able to pick up small bits of magnetic space rock.
Haven't tried it but it sounds pretty cool.

And because you guys were so fickle about my artwork I present to you round two.
I've gone with no moon because you lot were arguing, so nobody gets a moon this time.

Wow - Muffs, that is Beautiful! And intensely accurate... I can't believe you've not seen something like that. I think you would enjoy camping... you'd see a lot of incredible things.

That magnet thing sounds right up my alley - I gotta try that. I still want something really big to hit my house. If only to piss off my neighbors. Dodgy

We seem to get a lot of space crap landing in Kansas. A long time ago, my Grandpa was paid a lot of money for a meteor that landed on his farm. I see that shit all the time while driving - I've even see a couple of fire balls. I should be a meteor hunter!

Cool meteor site links:
For the US
For New Zealand

Your Grandpa's last name wasn't Kent, was it? I heard he and Martha found a huge meteor on his farm which coincided with them raising an interesting baby afterwards.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
14-08-2012, 10:07 AM
RE: The Perseid Meteor Shower!!
(14-08-2012 10:02 AM)kim Wrote:  
(14-08-2012 07:24 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  According to discovery channel heaps of space shit lands on earth all the time and if you go up onto your roof take a magnet.
If you run the magnet along the roof (well, just above it) you should be able to pick up small bits of magnetic space rock.
Haven't tried it but it sounds pretty cool.

And because you guys were so fickle about my artwork I present to you round two.
I've gone with no moon because you lot were arguing, so nobody gets a moon this time.

Wow - Muffs, that is Beautiful! And intensely accurate... I can't believe you've not seen something like that. I think you would enjoy camping... you'd see a lot of incredible things.

That magnet thing sounds right up my alley - I gotta try that. I still want something really big to hit my house. If only to piss off my neighbors. Dodgy

We seem to get a lot of space crap landing in Kansas. A long time ago, my Grandpa was paid a lot of money for a meteor that landed on his farm. I see that shit all the time while driving - I've even see a couple of fire balls. I should be a meteor hunter!

Cool meteor site links:
For the US
For New Zealand

Kansas is an excellent meteorite site because God, in His infinite kindness, blessed Kansas with meteorites because there's nothing else of interest there. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
14-08-2012, 10:08 AM
(14-08-2012 09:16 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Kimmies is always spoilin' things. Sadcryface
(14-08-2012 09:43 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Only takes one to ruin it for everyone.

Hey - this is the Science forum. I stand by my encouragement for accuracy. Sleepy

Even though that full Moon with the tree was spooky awesome!

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
14-08-2012, 10:09 AM
(14-08-2012 10:07 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-08-2012 10:02 AM)kim Wrote:  Wow - Muffs, that is Beautiful! And intensely accurate... I can't believe you've not seen something like that. I think you would enjoy camping... you'd see a lot of incredible things.

Cool meteor site links:
For the US
For New Zealand

Kansas is an excellent meteorite site because God, in His infinite kindness, blessed Kansas with meteorites because there's nothing else of interest there. Drinking Beverage

Isn't there a big ball of twine or the world's largest spoon or something there?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
14-08-2012, 10:12 AM
(14-08-2012 10:07 AM)Chas Wrote:  Kansas is an excellent meteorite site because God, in His infinite kindness, blessed Kansas with meteorites because there's nothing else of interest there. Drinking Beverage

As stunning as it may be, that's about right. Cep for that God thing - fixed that for ya. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
14-08-2012, 10:14 AM
(14-08-2012 10:09 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Isn't there a big ball of twine or the world's largest spoon or something there?

Worlds deepest hand dug well.

Yea. Undecided

14-08-2012, 10:19 AM
(14-08-2012 10:12 AM)kim Wrote:  
(14-08-2012 10:07 AM)Chas Wrote:  Kansas is an excellent meteorite site because God, in His infinite kindness, blessed Kansas with meteorites because there's nothing else of interest there. Drinking Beverage

As stunning as it may be, that's about right. Cep for that God thing - fixed that for ya. Wink

Wha? You some kind a atheist er sumpin?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
14-08-2012, 11:15 PM
Here you go Kim.
Have a moon.

[Image: 16jwau.jpg]

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
14-08-2012, 11:31 PM
[Image: 16jwau.jpg]
Hooowwwwwwwwwl!

Ah, that felt good. Sleepy

[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
19-08-2012, 02:53 PM
Alrighty, I went through the photos. I only caught one smaller one Sad I was hoping for more and better. In my defence I had a bit of wine and my sister, BIL and I had to walk from the hotel to a forest clearing in the mountains (it was the eve of my little brother's wedding so we were at a destination), then the RCMP (police) came to break up a shindig in the bushes next to us and also the bugs were bad. With all this distraction I only got about six exposures. I was hoping two really good meteor streaks made it on to one of the photos but no, I missed them. Oh well! Next time, hopefully! I was at least glad to be out of the city light pollution, just the stars and planets alone were amazing to look at! This one is pictured in the lower left quadrant of the photo.

[Image: PLJ_2045.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post